News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

ESPN: Raiders Moving to Las Vegas

Started by cl94, October 19, 2016, 05:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 28, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
And in some cases, the NFL team shared the name of the baseball team in that town.  The Steelers were originally known as the Pirates, and share the Pirates' colors to this day.  The Giants are named after the former baseball team, and the Redskins were first known as the Braves.  There were also Brooklyn, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, and Hartford teams named after then (or past) baseball franchises.  There were 2 New York Yankees football teams, but 1 was a relocated team from Boston and had no relation to the baseball franchise a la The St Louis Football Cardinals, who had no relation to the baseball Cardinals because they originated in Chicago.

The Bears are named as such because they played in the same stadium as the Cubs. The Redskins name comes from playing in Fenway Park with the Red Sox.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 27, 2016, 09:53:09 AMThe Pistons seemed like a natural fit custom named for the city but they actually had the name in Fort Wayne.

Indiana was essentially second in US vehicle production from the dawn of the automobile until the 1930s, although a bit dormant, post-WWII.

It picked up again in 1986, when GM built a truck plant just outside Fort Wayne, and Subaru jumped in a few years later...ironically, that's when the Detroit Pistons began a great run in the NBA.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on October 30, 2016, 09:56:44 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 27, 2016, 09:53:09 AMThe Pistons seemed like a natural fit custom named for the city but they actually had the name in Fort Wayne.

Indiana was essentially second in US vehicle production from the dawn of the automobile until the 1930s, although a bit dormant, post-WWII.

It picked up again in 1986, when GM built a truck plant just outside Fort Wayne, and Subaru jumped in a few years later...ironically, that's when the Detroit Pistons began a great run in the NBA.

Well yeah, helped it was right in the hot bed of activity for the automotive sector.  Studebaker would probably be the name example of an automaker from Indiana that most people would know.  Indianapolis Motor Speedway was built at a time when automotive racing was more for car makers to test their cars rather than pure sport.  The weird thing about Fort Wayne is that despite it being a city of a quarter million people most people have never heard of it.  The only popular culture reference I even remember was Taylor telling one of the Apes he was from Fort Wayne in the original Planet of the Apes.  :-D

dvferyance

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 05:49:30 PM
About time they get an NFL team out there.  L.A. doesn't deserve more than one team....we'll see if they can really hang onto the Rams down the line.
I agree completely. California didn't need 4 NFL teams good to see one go. The Raiders fans in the bay area will still have the 49ers to support so it's not like this is going to be another St Louis situation.

ixnay

Quote from: dvferyance on December 15, 2016, 01:57:58 PM
About time they get an NFL team out there.  L.A. doesn't deserve more than one team....we'll see if they can really hang onto the Rams down the line.
I agree completely. California didn't need 4 NFL teams good to see one go. The Raiders fans in the bay area will still have the 49ers to support so it's not like this is going to be another St Louis situation.

If they do.  I wonder how much of Raider Nation defected to the Niners during 1982-94 and stayed with the Niners when the Raiders returned?

ixnay

Rothman

Quote from: ixnay on December 21, 2016, 07:15:00 AM

If they do.  I wonder how much of Raider Nation defected to the Niners during 1982-94 and stayed with the Niners when the Raiders returned?

ixnay

Pfft.  I can't imagine it was that many.

Did like the "WE'RE BACK, LA SUCKED" bumper stickers that came out when they came back.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2016, 09:26:03 AM
Quote from: ixnay on December 21, 2016, 07:15:00 AM

ixnay

Pfft.  I can't imagine it was that many.

Did like the "WE'RE BACK, LA SUCKED" bumper stickers that came out when they came back.

I don't see too many people jumping ship between the 49ers and the Raiders.  Those are typically VERY different types of fan bases who really don't intermix all that well.  I'd say for the casual Californian the Raiders in general are still the go-to team that people follow...even with them moving to Vegas.  Most Californians associate Las Vegas as a place they go recreate, so I guess it isn't a big deal?  Besides who would really want to go to Oakland over Las Vegas?...who wants to go to Oakland in general?  :-D

Buck87

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 03:22:19 PM
Today the Raiders officially filed for relocation to Las Vegas

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000776434/article/oakland-raiders-file-las-vegas-relocation-paperwork

At least what the Raiders are trying to do makes logical sense....unlike the...Chargers being the second class citizen in Los Angeles...with bad logo designs.  :rolleyes:

cl94

Raiders have been trying to get a new stadium in Oakland for 15 years to replace the dump posing as a multi-purpose stadium. This is entirely on the city of Oakland. I would have pulled the plug after the sewage issues over a decade ago.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buck87

One thing to note is that if the move gets approved, they actually won't move to Las Vegas until the stadium opens in 2020.

Would be interesting to see how 3 lame duck seasons in Oakland would go. Though my understanding is that Raider nation is a huge fanbase that is by far the most prevalent across the state of California...so I would imagine there would be plenty of fans coming in from all over to offset whatever boycotts might occur from those scorned in the immediate Oakland/East Bay area.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 10:18:44 PM
One thing to note is that if the move gets approved, they actually won't move to Las Vegas until the stadium opens in 2020.

Would be interesting to see how 3 lame duck seasons in Oakland would go. Though my understanding is that Raider nation is a huge fanbase that is by far the most prevalent across the state of California...so I would imagine there would be plenty of fans coming in from all over to offset whatever boycotts might occur from those scorned in the immediate Oakland/East Bay area.

Most Raiders fans I know are perfectly fine and pretty thrilled about the prospect of seeing the Raideds play on their Vegas vacations.  Las Vegas in general pulls huge amounts of Californians just in general.  I don't think the Raiders are going to miss a beat when the move likely finally happens.

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 19, 2017, 10:23:53 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2017, 10:18:44 PM

Most Raiders fans I know are perfectly fine and pretty thrilled about the prospect of seeing the Raideds play on their Vegas vacations.  Las Vegas in general pulls huge amounts of Californians just in general.  I don't think the Raiders are going to miss a beat when the move likely finally happens.
Rumor also has it that the Raiders will play the interim seasons in San Diego, where the rival Chargers just left.

I think it's good to see Las Vegas get pro sports teams at last! No other town deserves it more.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ET21

So who gets a NBA team first/back: Seattle or Las Vegas?
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dvferyance

Quote from: ET21 on January 20, 2017, 07:56:06 PM
Vegas never had a team. I would like to see KC get one and be called the Kings forcing Sacramento to change their name like New Orleans had to do with the Hornets to the Pelicans. The Sacramento Kings name sounds just as dumb if not dumber than New Orleans Hornets.

DTComposer

Quote from: dvferyance on January 23, 2017, 01:33:27 PM
The Sacramento Kings name sounds just as dumb if not dumber than New Orleans Hornets.

Out of curiosity, why does Sacramento Kings sound dumb? It's not like Kings has something specific to do with Kansas City (such as the New Orleans -> Utah Jazz, or the Minneapolis -> Los Angeles Lakers). The only reason they were called the Kings in Kansas City was to avoid confusion with the MLB Royals.

Bruce

Quote from: ET21 on January 20, 2017, 07:56:06 PM

At this rate, Seattle is stalled. City politics is blocking the new arena (courtesy of the Port) and the old arena is being revived for another study in April. Our city loves its studies, so expect a few more years before shovel hits dirt.

Henry

How's this for a twist: Las Vegas is in danger of losing the Raiders after this development...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/raiders/2017/01/30/sheldon-adelson-las-vegas-raiders-oakland-stadium-project/97267980/

...and San Diego (where the Chargers left for L.A.!) is now an alternate destination for the team.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-0201-story.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

dvferyance

Quote from: DTComposer on January 23, 2017, 03:17:55 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 23, 2017, 01:33:27 PM
The Sacramento Kings name sounds just as dumb if not dumber than New Orleans Hornets.

Out of curiosity, why does Sacramento Kings sound dumb? It's not like Kings has something specific to do with Kansas City (such as the New Orleans -> Utah Jazz, or the Minneapolis -> Los Angeles Lakers). The only reason they were called the Kings in Kansas City was to avoid confusion with the MLB Royals.
I think it does as did the New Orleans Hornets who later thank goodness changed their name. You can disagree with me of course but I just think the 2 don't go well. Never understood why they moved anyways it was in my opinion the most illogical move in the history of sports. It left a huge whole in the middle of the county without an NBA team while it just ended up going to right next door to another one aka Golden State.

dvferyance

Quote from: Henry on February 01, 2017, 10:00:50 AM
How's this for a twist: Las Vegas is in danger of losing the Raiders after this development...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/raiders/2017/01/30/sheldon-adelson-las-vegas-raiders-oakland-stadium-project/97267980/

...and San Diego (where the Chargers left for L.A.!) is now an alternate destination for the team.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/columnists/kevin-acee/sd-sp-acee-0201-story.html
What 3 teams in LA? If that happens I am done watching the NFL.

tribar

Quote from: dvferyance on February 01, 2017, 02:43:54 PM

I didn't realize San Diego and LA were the same place

dvferyance

Quote from: tribar on February 01, 2017, 04:03:53 PM

You must not have heard that the Chargers have moved to LA.

DTComposer

Quote from: dvferyance on February 01, 2017, 05:24:42 PM

Right, so there would be two teams in L.A. (Rams and Chargers) and one in San Diego (Raiders).

tribar

I heard.  Just curious on where you're getting 3 teams from. 

dvferyance

Quote from: tribar on February 01, 2017, 06:29:16 PM

I heard.  Just curious on where you're getting 3 teams from.
Rams, Chargers and Raiders. Why would the Raiders move to San Diego if they wouldn't build a new stadium for the Chargers?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.