News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

March Madness 2017

Started by US 41, March 06, 2017, 05:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

They may not have much of a chance, but I'm pulling for my alma mater, UCLA! Enough said.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on March 09, 2017, 08:52:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2017, 09:46:12 PM
Duke's too inconsistent and a couple of the players are too immature dirty sucks.

FTFY.

And I FIFY...  :-D

As for Northern Kentucky, I remember when it was strictly a commuter school.

And I remember the Who concert incident very well. As a student at Morehead State, we had a lot of students from the river counties in Ohio because Kentucky allowed residents of those and a couple of other Ohio counties to attend at in-state rates. There was no social media back then, but word spread pretty quickly from Cincinnati to Morehead about that. Lots of students were worried that some of their friends may have been hurt or killed. I don't think I actually knew any fellow students who were there, but I know some were.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I-39

Go Middle Tennessee State!

US 41

Automatic Bid Update (3/9/17)

Atlantic Sun= Florida Gulf Coast
Big South= Winthrop
Colonial= UNC Wilmington
Horizon= Northern Kentucky
MAAC= Iona
Missouri Valley= Wichita State
Northeast= Mount St. Mary's
Ohio Valley= Jacksonville State
Patriot= Bucknell
Southern= East Tennessee State
Summit= South Dakota State
West Coast= Gonzaga

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also in the Big 12 Tournament Kansas was upset by TCU.

Michigan won by 20 over Illinois and they had to play in their practice uniforms because of an investigation into their plane crash (no one was hurt). Their game uniforms were being held during the investigation.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 06, 2017, 11:31:27 PM
As much as I'd like VT to win, I think they're pretty much locked in to get bounced by whatever 1/2/3 seed they face in the second round.

Just remember 2005 with Taylor Coppenrath and TJ Sorrentine.  Knocked off the 4 seed Syracuse in a game that has since been vacated due to improprieties at Cuse.  Reason I remember is 2 seed UConn getting knocked off by 10 seed NC State in the same DCU Center location after almost getting knocked off by 15 seed UCF (ironically, now a conference opponent) in the first round.

Sadly, unless there's another miracle AAC tournament run, my Huskies aren't even getting in the NIT.  OTOH, 107 wins and a row and counting for the womens' tournament.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

HazMatt

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 09, 2017, 09:05:05 PM
Quote from: Thing 342 on March 06, 2017, 11:31:27 PM
As much as I'd like VT to win, I think they're pretty much locked in to get bounced by whatever 1/2/3 seed they face in the second round.

Just remember 2005 with Taylor Coppenrath and TJ Sorrentine.  Knocked off the 4 seed Syracuse in a game that has since been vacated due to improprieties at Cuse.  Reason I remember is 2 seed UConn getting knocked off by 10 seed NC State in the same DCU Center location after almost getting knocked off by 15 seed UCF (ironically, now a conference opponent) in the first round.

Sadly, unless there's another miracle AAC tournament run, my Huskies aren't even getting in the NIT.  OTOH, 107 wins and a row and counting for the womens' tournament.

Man I miss Julius Hodge.  I think Vermont has a good shot.  ESPN has them projected as a 12 seed with all the upsets in conference tournaments.

US 41

Vermont is really good this year. I've watched them play a couple of times this year on TV (ESPN3 via my computer). They have to win tomorrow against UAlbany to make it to the NCAA tournament despite the fact that they are 28-5 overall (16-0 America East). If they make it to the tournament they definitely have the talent to make an upset or two in the Big Dance.

If it was up to me I'd give them an at large regardless of what happens tomorrow, but the committee doesn't see it the same way I do (aka a loss equals NIT for the Catamounts). I would also weed out some of these power 5 teams. If you can't finish at least .500 in conference play then you should not be able to make it to the NCAA Tournament unless you can get the AQ. A 16-0 or 17-1 team deserves it more than a 7-9 or 8-10 team. There are some teams "on the bubble" that have worse records. TCU went 6-10 in conference play and somehow they are still in consideration. I know they beat Kansas yesterday, but IMHO they should have to win the Big 12 tournament to make it to the Dance.
   I would also expand that and say that if you have at least 25 D1 wins you are in as well and if you don't have at least 20 D1 wins you cannot be in consideration for an at large.

Continuing on with my little rant conference play should not count as part of your SOS. Every conference in D1 basketball only gets 1 automatic bid. The ACC might get 10 teams in this year but only 1 of those teams is an AQ. The rest are at-larges.

Let's take IU for example. They played 12 non-conference games. They played 9 of those at home and only one of those teams was from a P5+1 conference (North Carolina). The rest of them were chumps. 2 of their non-conf games were neutral site (in Honolulu vs Kansas and in Indianapolis vs. Butler). Only one of their games was on the road and that was at IU-Purdue Fort Wayne and they lost that game. http://iuhoosiers.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

Most P5 teams load their non-conference schedules down with "easy wins" at home. If they are worth anything at all they should be able to finish with at least a 10-2 record entering conference play. Then they get to conference play and finish with a 8-10 record and we have to hear about how difficult their SOS was, when in reality it really wasn't that difficult at all. And the fact of the matter is that they lost when they actually had to go on the road and play a decent team. Then they get to the conference tournament they win in their play in game against a bottom dweller in their conference and add another win before getting losing to a top tier team, but no worries they'll still be in come Selection Sunday. This is how you end up with 19-13 teams in the NCAA Tournament with losing records in conference play.

If non-conference play was the only part of your SOS that counted it would actually force some of these teams to go play someone good in their non-conf play. This change by itself would weed out some of these P5 teams because instead of finishing with a 19-13 record they would finish 14-18 and not even be in consideration. This would also open the door for more of the smaller schools to have a chance at making it that finish 27-5 or 26-8 that probably actually deserve to be in the tournament.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 08, 2017, 05:06:15 AM
If the SWAC championship game comes to be Texas Southern vs Alcorn State, the former would be in the March Madness before playing because the latter is ineligible due to "dumb reasons" (Is failing to meet the required Academic Progress Rate a dumb reason for a post-season ban?).

It happened :sombrero:. Texas Southern is now in the March Madness.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

Auto Bids earned today
ACC= Duke
America East= Vermont
Big East= Villanova
Big Sky= North Dakota
Big West= UC Davis
Big 12= Iowa State
CUSA= Middle Tennessee State
MAC= Kent State
MEAC= NC Central
Mountain West= Nevada
Pac-12= Arizona
Southland= New Orleans
SWAC= Texas Southern
WAC= New Mexico State

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on March 09, 2017, 10:31:59 AM
Duke's too inconsistent and a couple of the players are too immature dirty sucks are the ACC champions again. First time someone won four games in four days to win the championship.

FTFY.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2017, 11:03:22 PM
Duke's too inconsistent and a couple of the players are too immature dirty sucks are the ACC champions again. First time someone won four games in four days to win the championship.

FTFY.

...otherwise called a fluke. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Rothman on March 12, 2017, 01:35:16 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 11, 2017, 11:03:22 PM

FTFY.

...otherwise called a fluke. 
yawn
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CNGL-Leudimin

Four teams have made it to the March Madness for the first time in history. They are North Dakota, UC Davis, Northern Kentucky and Jacksonville State. In the NKU case they achieved the feat in the first year of elegibility, only seven other teams have done so before.

I've already done my own Selection Sunday, consisting of 68 eponimously named diseases. I've seeded them from 1 to 68 so that they will replace the team with the same overall seed. The resulting bracket may be interesting at the very least.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

The Final Auto Bids were earned today.

American Athletic= SMU
Atlantic 10= Rhode Island
Big Ten= Michigan
Ivy League= Princeton
SEC= Kentucky
Sun Belt= Troy

The selection show starts in under 10 minutes!!!

US 41

All Auto Bids
AAC= SMU
ACC= Duke
AM East= Vermont
A-10= Rhode Island
ASUN= Florida Gulf Coast
Big East= Villanova
Big Sky= North Dakota
Big South= Winthrop
Big Ten= Michigan
Big 12= Iowa St.
Big West= UC Davis
CAA= UNC Wilmington
CUSA= Middle Tennessee St.
Horizon= Northern Kentucky
Ivy= Princeton
MAAC= Iona
MAC= Kent St.
MEAC= NC Central
MVC= Wichita St.
MT West= Nevada
NEC= Mt. St. Mary's
OVC= Jacksonville St.
Pac 12= Arizona
Patriot= Bucknell
SEC= Kentucky
Southland= New Orleans
Southern= East Tennessee State
Summit= South Dakota State
Sun Belt= Troy
SWAC= Texas Southern
WAC= New Mexico State
WCC= Gonzaga

I did a bracket for every conference tournament and I picked the champion in 17 out of 32 of them.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 12, 2017, 04:40:38 PM
Four teams have made it to the March Madness for the first time in history. They are North Dakota, UC Davis, Northern Kentucky and Jacksonville State. In the NKU case they achieved the feat in the first year of elegibility, only seven other teams have done so before.

Make it five with Northwestern, as an at-large berth has been awarded to them.

Buck87

Northwestern could be called the "Vanderbilt" of the Big Ten" and Vanderbilt could be called the "Northwestern" of the SEC.
Neat to see these schools with similar situations matched up against each other.

UNK vs UK is a matchup where there is likely a huge percentage of one school's alumni that are primarily fans of the school they are playing.

And there's a good chance that round 2 will feature a rematch of the 2013 National Championship game

US 41

I finished my bracket. I'll list the winners (only) of each round.

First 4
New Orleans
USC
NC Central
Wake Forest

First Round (Round of 64)
Villanova
Wisconsin
UNC Wilmington
Florida
SMU
Baylor
South Carolina
Duke

Gonzaga
Northwestern
Princeton
West Virginia
Maryland
Florida State
VCU
Arizona

Kansas
Michigan State
Nevada
Vermont
Rhode Island
Oregon
Michigan
Louisville

North Carolina
Arkansas
Middle Tennessee State
Butler
Cincinnati
Kent State
Wichita State
Kentucky

Second Round (Round of 32)
Wisconsin
Florida
SMU
Duke

Gonzaga
West Virginia
Florida State
Arizona

Kansas
Nevada
Oregon
Michigan

North Carolina
Middle Tennessee State
Cincinnati
Kentucky

Sweet 16
Wisconsin
SMU

West Virginia
Arizona

Kansas
Oregon

North Carolina
Kentucky

Elite 8
SMU
West Virginia
Kansas
North Carolina

Final 4
SMU
North Carolina

National Championship Game
North Carolina

CNGL-Leudimin

As I said I have Pearson vs Dravet, ergo Villanova vs Kansas as the National Championship Game. With Kansas taking the title. I haven't decided on the rest of the bracket yet (Apart of the obvious Villanova and Kansas runs).

1995hoo

Someone at the NCAA has a sense of humor.

Last week Jim Boeheim was quite negative about the city of Greensboro and was talking about how the ACC Tournament should not be played there because it should be in higher-profile venues (I think he has a valid point).

Syracuse will open the NIT at home.....against UNC-Greensboro.  :-D
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Due my policy of not use the sponsored names unless they pay me, here is the list of arenas to be used during the Big Dance as I know them (Bold are different).

First Four:
Dayton: UD Arena

First and Second Rounds:
Buffalo: Crossroads Arena
Milwaukee: Bradley Center
Orlando: Orlando Events Center
Salt Lake City: Salt Lake Ice Center (Yes, the olympic name)
Greenville: Greenville Arena (For a lack of "generic name", I use the city name)
Indianapolis: Pacers Fieldhouse (Same as Greenville, but at least it has a NBA franchise to name the arena after)
Tulsa: Tulsa Center (Same as Greenville)
Sacramento: New Kings Center (Same as Indianapolis)

Regional semifinals and finals:
Kansas City: Downtown Arena
San Jose: San Jose Arena
New York City: Madison Square Garden IV
Memphis: Grizzles Forum (Same as Indianapolis)

Final Four
Phoenix: Cardinals Stadium (Curse the University of Phoenix for not having intercollegiate athletics program)

Big John

^^ For Greenville, Bi-Lo is a grocery chain that sponsered the arena.

MisterSG1

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 13, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
Due my policy of not use the sponsored names unless they pay me, here is the list of arenas to be used during the Big Dance as I know them (Bold are different).

First Four:
Dayton: UD Arena

First and Second Rounds:
Buffalo: Crossroads Arena
Milwaukee: Bradley Center
Orlando: Orlando Events Center
Salt Lake City: Salt Lake Ice Center (Yes, the olympic name)
Greenville: Bi-Lo Center
Indianapolis: Pacers Fieldhouse (For a lack of "generic name"...)
Tulsa: Tulsa Center (Same as Indianapolis, but since there are no major league teams...)
Sacramento: Golden 1 Center

Regional semifinals and finals:
Kansas City: Downtown Arena
San Jose: San Jose Arena
New York City: Madison Square Garden IV
Memphis: Grizzles Forum (Same as Indianapolis

Final Four
Phoenix: Cardinals Stadium (Curse the University of Phoenix for not having intercollegiate athletics program)

We are getting off topic, but what name do you have for the arena in my city lol?

tdindy88

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 13, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
Sacramento: Golden 1 Center

Golden 1 is a credit union.

MisterSG1

I'm going to see two games that are being played at KeyBank Center....laugh at me all you want, but don't be surprised if the Fighting Irish are the Fallen Irish come this Thursday. :D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.