News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Anyone know a good score of random traffic control stuffs?

Started by MCRoads, June 03, 2017, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Anything,
bots dots, reflectors (I tried taking them off the road, they are reeealy stuck) :angry:
Cones, barrels, bollards (i like barrels the best) :colorful:
Signs (HOW DO YOU GET THEM DETACHED FROM THE POLE!!!!) :pan:, BGSs (is it possible???) :hmmm:
Traffic lights (can't get those...)

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

csw

That is what's known as stealing, and it's illegal.

Max Rockatansky

MCRoads

Well, I trade prying a bott dot off a road in Vagas, my dad, (and everyone else) laughed. What happens in vagas, STAYS THERE!!
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

MCRoads

What I guess I'm asking is, where does the DOT dispose of there stuff?
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MCRoads on June 03, 2017, 10:53:06 PM
Well, I trade prying a bott dot off a road in Vagas, my dad, (and everyone else) laughed. What happens in vagas, STAYS THERE!!

"Vegas" not "Vagas."  Las Vegas Metro wouldn't have agreed with that sentiment.

Quote from: MCRoads on June 03, 2017, 10:54:57 PM
What I guess I'm asking is, where does the DOT dispose of there stuff?

It depends on the state.  Some like Michigan allow all sorts of old DOT devices to end up in the hands of scrapers.  Usually you can find what you're looking for either on eBay, Craigslist, or even a local antique store.  Some states are more picky than others, I don't collect for Oklahoma but I can tell you I don't run across stuff from there very often. 

JJBers

Please don't try to take signs in use, it's illegal, and annoys people (like me) all the time. If you want to find a sign that isn't in use anymore though, just try to contact your state's DOT. Some may be willing to give old signs to use for no cost (as long as you drive to their main office).
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 03, 2017, 11:08:23 PM
Some states are more picky than others, I don't collect for Oklahoma but I can tell you I don't run across stuff from there very often. 

Oklahoma DOT very strictly recycles all of their old traffic control devices. I went to the open house just before the demolition of the old I-40 Crosstown and was very firmly told by an OkDOT representative there that I could not have a yield sign, because it had to be recycled. Later, I was examining an impact attenuator (I think that's the name for the special barricades in the nose of small gore points?) with another attendee, and we had taken a bit of it apart to see how it worked, and were yelled at by another DOT representative despite the fact that there was no traffic on the bridge going any more than 5 mph, so the safety device's impact was minimal. Anyone familiar with OkDOT would be highly surprised that their employees would be so particular about anything, I'm sure.

You may have better luck with local governments if you just want any sort of used sign. I tried to get a Scott Street blade from Del City once (for obvious reasons) and while they were unable to help, they at least seemed sympathetic.

If you just want any sort of traffic control device, and don't care what kind, there are plenty of manufacturers that sell to businesses for things like parking lots and crowd control. You can probably find a better price, but Uline can send you an 18×18 stop sign by tomorrow for $42 + shipping. If you're wanting a route marker, it might be worth looking into to directly contact a DOT contractor, who might be able to do a one-off for you. There is a guy on this forum who had an I-49 Arkansas state-name shield commissioned years before it was posted in Arkansas–probably the first such shield ever produced.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MCRoads

Thank you for your time and attention.

I wish I could have been on the i-40 crosstown viaduct open house, but I did not know about it. (any other opportunity to get up close and personal with old/slated for demolition roads?)

Yes, it is called an impact attenuator, crash cushion, or, in the case of most, the yellow barrels.

I am happy to hear that ODOT recycles, but am sad that they do not realize, some things (no matter how wierd) are collected by people.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

Brian556

Botts Dotts come loose all the time. Just find one that's not in its proper location. (Be aware the they can re-stick themselves)

18x18 stop signs are $18 on Amazon. Amazon has several other sign types also

Scrap mental yards will sometimes sell you used signs. Ours does.

Cones and other devices are often accidentally left laying around after a project is over. They also fall off of trucks a lot.

MCRoads

so... if i drive by what used to be a construction site, and find stuff lying around... i can take it?

also, as pertains to botts dots, this would have been good advice wile i was in Vegas
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

M3019C LPS20

EBay and Craigslist are usually great websites to find stuff like that. You may also have luck finding such items up for grabs at municipal auctions, primarily online. GovDeals.com is one example that comes to mind.

Good luck in your search.

I personally would not attempt to take something from the street, but that is just me.

english si

Quote from: MCRoads on June 09, 2017, 07:05:30 PMso... if i drive by what used to be a construction site, and find stuff lying around... i can take it?
Yes, this is how I got my chainsaw, digger, ton of bricks, 100 spades, etc :lol:

It depends: if it's in a skip, then that's probably 'free game' (dumpster diving), if it's lying about then it might be being moved to a store later rather than a skip. Also depends on how long it 'used' to be a construction site. If all the stuff is gone, and you see something lying there after the jobs done, then it's litter and while picking it up and keeping it is a bit like seeing wodge of money on the street and keeping it rather than trying to make a nominal effort to get it reunited to its own, it's probably fair game.

Best to go to (but not into) active construction sites while people are there and ask if they have stuff like that they are getting rid of - nice and legit like.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: english si on June 20, 2017, 02:39:31 AM
Quote from: MCRoads on June 09, 2017, 07:05:30 PMso... if i drive by what used to be a construction site, and find stuff lying around... i can take it?
Yes, this is how I got my chainsaw, digger, ton of bricks, 100 spades, etc :lol:

It depends: if it's in a skip, then that's probably 'free game' (dumpster diving), if it's lying about then it might be being moved to a store later rather than a skip. Also depends on how long it 'used' to be a construction site. If all the stuff is gone, and you see something lying there after the jobs done, then it's litter and while picking it up and keeping it is a bit like seeing wodge of money on the street and keeping it rather than trying to make a nominal effort to get it reunited to its own, it's probably fair game.

Best to go to (but not into) active construction sites while people are there and ask if they have stuff like that they are getting rid of - nice and legit like.

It actually works pretty well if you are going by a sign replacing job.  Most of the time they'll let you take home something if you ask, shields seem to be a favorite throw-away item.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.