AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Which date would you prefer for a 2017 western Kentucky meet?

Oct. 7
- 5 (20.8%)
Oct. 14
- 4 (16.7%)
Oct. 21
- 5 (20.8%)
Oct. 28
- 3 (12.5%)
Nov. 4
- 7 (29.2%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 31, 2017, 12:49:37 PM

Author Topic: 2017 western Kentucky meet -- Sat., Nov. 4  (Read 1227 times)

hbelkins

• Celebrating another day that Hillary isn't prez.

• Last Login: October 22, 2017, 12:39:49 AM
    • Millennium Highway
Re: 2017 western Kentucky meet -- Sat., Nov. 4
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

Great! I'm looking forward to it. Just booked my hotel room in Paducah a few days ago. I'll be driving down Friday and staying in Paducah Friday night and Saturday night... then driving home Sunday. I still haven't fully decided on the route I'll take going down and back, but I want to see if I can minimize my drive time in Indiana, except for grabbing the one county I still need in the southwest corner of that state.

That leaves two options -- Ohio and Illinois! LOL

You flying solo, or is Sam or someone else coming with you?

A.J. Bertin

• Last Login: Today at 07:14:46 AM
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »

Haha! Well, I'm mainly thinking about Illinois (for the drive down and back), although I'm sure I won't take the same route. I just want to get the 37-ish mile stretch of I-24 that I need in Illinois. As for the rest of my Illinois route, I'm not sure. I'll probably want to take the quickest route home possible... so maybe I-24 to I-57 north. On my way down, I'll see what counties and highways in eastern Illinois I can clinch while staying off the Interstates.

I'm going solo. Brandon, Sam, and I will share a hotel room - but Sam wants to drive separately because he has some specific counties that he wants to clinch which are probably off the route I want to take.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

• Location: Lebanon, TN Home of the Barrel originally from York, PA
  • Last Login: October 22, 2017, 10:01:30 PM
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2017, 07:23:29 PM »

Haha! Well, I'm mainly thinking about Illinois (for the drive down and back), although I'm sure I won't take the same route. I just want to get the 37-ish mile stretch of I-24 that I need in Illinois. As for the rest of my Illinois route, I'm not sure. I'll probably want to take the quickest route home possible... so maybe I-24 to I-57 north. On my way down, I'll see what counties and highways in eastern Illinois I can clinch while staying off the Interstates.

I'm going solo. Brandon, Sam, and I will share a hotel room - but Sam wants to drive separately because he has some specific counties that he wants to clinch which are probably off the route I want to take.
Have fun guys, Steph and I will be thinking of you all while we will be doing toy shows in Memphis and St Louis that weekend  :)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

I'm beginning to think I chose the wrong date for this meet. It's a late fall here. Very few of the leaves have started changing colors, and usually this is the peak of leaf-peeping season around here. I'm not sure that the leaves will be gone by Nov. 4, which will impede visibility in at least one place where the tour is stopping.

I'm not changing the meet date, though. The following weekend is the first after the time changes back to standard time, which means it gets dark an hour earlier and thus would cut into the time available for the tour (and since the meet is in Central time, it gets dark an hour earlier anyway, which is why lunch is at 11 local time instead of noon local time).

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 05:48:46 AM
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2017, 11:43:15 AM »

Well, one idea to go down is to take I-94 to IL-394 and then just continue onto IL-1 all the way to the Cave-In-Rock Ferry.  You'd pick up the entire eastern edge of Illinois counties there and clinch IL-1 from IL-394 south.  A tidbit, IL-394 is oddly concurrent with IL-1 for less than a mile near the south end of IL-394.  IL-394 then ends while concurrent with IL-1.

I-24 to I-57 to I-80 will be very fast on the way up.

As for me, I'm taking a half day off work, so it'll be I-55 to Braidwood (Exit 233, Reed Road), then cut along the county line to IL-17, east about a mile and a half to line up with IL-115, then follow IL-115 south to IL-9, then over to I-57 and I-24.  If I find I have time, I may cut over at IL-154 to get Perry County, and then back to I-57.  My Illinois county count is up to 98, leaving Perry, Edwards, Wabash, and Richland Counties.  I think I'll pick up the latter three on the way back.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

hbelkins

• Millennium Highway
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2017, 12:50:17 PM »

We'll be hitting six counties in Kentucky on the meet tour -- Marshall, Graves, Calloway, Trigg and Lyon. Lunch is in Livingston County.

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »

Well, one idea to go down is to take I-94 to IL-394 and then just continue onto IL-1 all the way to the Cave-In-Rock Ferry.  You'd pick up the entire eastern edge of Illinois counties there and clinch IL-1 from IL-394 south.

I am driving a couple hours on Thursday night to Portage, Indiana. On Friday morning I'm going to start off just like you described... I-94 to IL-394 south to IL-1. My rationale for starting the drive Thursday night is so I can get a couple hours' head start on Friday morning.

I wasn't thinking about Cave-In-Rock Ferry but that's certainly a possibility I can consider. I have 12 counties in southeastern Illinois I can potentially get and one county in southwestern Indiana. (I know for sure I want to get the Indiana county - Posey County.) My initial thought is to take IL-1 all the way down to Mt. Carmel and cross into Indiana from there to grab Posey County and then probably take I-64 back into Illinois. Prior to getting to Mt. Carmel, I'm going to see what counties I can get between IL-1 and I-57 that I need.

My hope is to leave Portage IN by, say, 6 a.m. Central. If I can do that, I figure there's a decent chance I can get all the counties I want and arrive in Paducah at a reasonable time. ("Reasonable" for me, in this case, would be defined as "before dinner".) I'm purposely not planning my route too definitively because I want to play it by ear.

I-24 to I-57 to I-80 will be very fast on the way up.

Yep... that's my plan for driving home on Sunday.

As for me, I'm taking a half day off work, so it'll be I-55 to Braidwood (Exit 233, Reed Road), then cut along the county line to IL-17, east about a mile and a half to line up with IL-115, then follow IL-115 south to IL-9, then over to I-57 and I-24.  If I find I have time, I may cut over at IL-154 to get Perry County, and then back to I-57.  My Illinois county count is up to 98, leaving Perry, Edwards, Wabash, and Richland Counties.  I think I'll pick up the latter three on the way back.

Nice!
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »

We'll be hitting six counties in Kentucky on the meet tour -- Marshall, Graves, Calloway, Trigg and Lyon. Lunch is in Livingston County.

Calloway and Trigg will be new counties for me. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.