News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Afternoon back road trip to Cartersville 7/10/17

Started by Takumi, July 11, 2017, 11:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Yesterday I decided to take my newly acquired 2009 Acura TSX on a little trip to see how it performs on long journeys. Comfort, handling, fuel consumption. I began the afternoon meandering around Chesterfield County, but ended up going west on US 360 out into Amelia.

360 begins its descent to the Appomattox River.

Once I crossed into Amelia I continued on 360 past VA 153 and eventually turned onto SR 604. 604 goes all the way back to Chesterfield Courthouse and wouldn't need much work to become an extended VA 145 if traffic volumes ever warranted it.

Crossing into Powhatan County, I departed SR 604 at SR 610, effectively a bypass of Dorset to the Flat Rock area. Despite getting stuck behind a Forester going 5-10 under the 45 MPH speed limit the whole time, I didn't take any pictures. But I did see a brush fire! 610 ends at SR 622, which takes you north to US 60 at Flat Rock, where there are such things as a Sheetz and a Bruster's. I stopped at Sheetz.

I headed west on 60 out to Powhatan Courthouse, where US 522 begins. There's another Sheetz there, only 6 miles away from the one in Flat Rock. I continued on 60 past 522, and its four-laning ends shortly after. Not long after the drop to two lanes comes SR 684, which used to be part of a primary route. I want to say it was originally VA 16, then VA 27 before being downgraded to secondary. Anyway, the Bell Road portion of SR 684 still has a couple old signs with Maximum Safe Speed advisory signs. I didn't take any pictures of them, but GMSV at least shows one of them.
https://goo.gl/maps/gZaKim9Pfpx

684 turns east-west and eventually crosses into Cumberland County, ending at VA 45 near Cartersville. North of town there's a boat launch that houses the remnants of the old Cartersville Bridge. Mapmikey has more photos and info on the bridge here but you can barely see it hidden in the trees in this photo.

After that I went back towards Richmond.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

QuoteI continued on 60 past 522, and its four-laning ends shortly after. Not long after the drop to two lanes comes SR 684, which used to be part of a primary route. I want to say it was originally VA 16, then VA 27 before being downgraded to secondary.

Correct, though as VA 16 #1 it initially only extended to the Provost area (SR 684/SR 621).  It became VA 27 #2 around 1940, though the segment you took along SR 684 only lasted 10 years before being dropped.

It's worth noting that VA 27 continued west of VA 45 along SR 690 to Columbia and beyond that along SR 659.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.