News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

photos of old signs on the internet

Started by agentsteel53, January 28, 2009, 03:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msubulldog

Quote from: HTM Duke on April 16, 2018, 08:10:16 PM
I found this picture from what I think is the Springfield interchange's earliest configuration while browsing, and I don't believe I've ever seen a VDOT installed sign with an I-70S shield before:

What is the reference to "transpo"?
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

mrsman

Quote from: msubulldog on May 17, 2018, 10:06:25 PM
I found this picture from what I think is the Springfield interchange's earliest configuration while browsing, and I don't believe I've ever seen a VDOT installed sign with an I-70S shield before:

It's amazing to me how much the control cities have changed over the years.  There is no reference at all for Fairfax or Dulles right now at Sprinfield or mention of the other highways to connect to like 66, 270, and 295.

HTM Duke

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2018, 09:43:26 AM

It's amazing to me how much the control cities have changed over the years.  There is no reference at all for Fairfax or Dulles right now at Sprinfield or mention of the other highways to connect to like 66, 270, and 295.

1) I believe the "transpo" tab referred to the U.S. International Transportation Exposition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpo_%2772
2) While not on overhead signage anymore, there is a ground-mounted install (before the SR-644 exit if I remember right) that instructs motorists to use I-495 north to reach I-66, I-270, and Dulles Airport.  As for control cities, I can recall an old pull-through sign on the outer loop of I-495 around the Braddock Rd exit that included Fredericksburg, as well as VDOT using Rockville instead of Tysons Corner for the inner loop.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

formulanone

Quote from: HTM Duke on May 18, 2018, 11:49:06 PM
I believe the "transpo" tab referred to the U.S. International Transportation Exposition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpo_%2772

That's such an orgy of transportation phenomena that I'm now convinced it was proclaimed by a Roman Emperor.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on May 21, 2018, 09:27:35 PM
I believe the "transpo" tab referred to the U.S. International Transportation Exposition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpo_%2772

That's such an orgy of transportation phenomena that I'm now convinced it was proclaimed by a Roman Emperor.

I would have taken a year off from traditional sex to have participated.

mrsman

Quote from: mrsman on May 18, 2018, 09:43:26 AM

1) I believe the "transpo" tab referred to the U.S. International Transportation Exposition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpo_%2772
2) While not on overhead signage anymore, there is a ground-mounted install (before the SR-644 exit if I remember right) that instructs motorists to use I-495 north to reach I-66, I-270, and Dulles Airport.  As for control cities, I can recall an old pull-through sign on the outer loop of I-495 around the Braddock Rd exit that included Fredericksburg, as well as VDOT using Rockville instead of Tysons Corner for the inner loop.

The control cities for the western I-495 have included: Frederick, Rockville, Fairfax, and Tysons Corner.  Fairfax can still be seen on mileage signs on the outer loop right after crossing the American Legion Bridge.

IMO there should be consistent control city usage between MD and VA.  Baltimore and Richmond should be the exclusive controls for the eastern half of the Beltway.  They should also be used any place they make sense on the western half.  The only other controls used should be Bethesda (270/495) and Tysons Corner (267/495).

bugo

Here is a link to a Facebook group called Historic Road Signs. There are lots of cool pictures that are posted to this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1692760040977607/

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 07:05:24 PM
Here is a link to a Facebook group called Historic Road Signs. There are lots of cool pictures that are posted to this group:

Which can only be seen if you join Jeremy & Tim's Facebook club. (i.e. it's a closed Facebook group)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bugo

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 26, 2018, 09:26:42 PM

Which can only be seen if you join Jeremy & Tim's Facebook club. (i.e. it's a closed Facebook group)

We had to change the security on a few groups because this one guy kept downloading pictures from the groups and selling prints of them. He also uploaded them to his Flickr account and claimed them as his own. He was warned many times, by me and by other members of the groups. I hated doing it, but I had to.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 10:28:04 PM

We had to change the security on a few groups because this one guy kept downloading pictures from the groups and selling prints of them. He also uploaded them to his Flickr account and claimed them as his own. He was warned many times, by me and by other members of the groups. I hated doing it, but I had to.

Dwayne Pounds. He lifted a few of my Missouri button copy photos and didn't understand why it was wrong to do so.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2018, 01:06:24 PM
Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 10:28:04 PM

Dwayne Pounds. He lifted a few of my Missouri button copy photos and didn't understand why it was wrong to do so.

I've had the same problem. He was stealing my photos from Flickr and posting them as his own. He's on Flickr now and constantly inviting me to join groups he has started (I refuse).  Someone told me Mr Pounds is mildly retarded (what's the PC term for that?) and doesn't realize what he's doing is wrong, but I want nothing to do with him and have blocked him from my Flickr page.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2018, 10:45:30 AM
I've had the same problem. He was stealing my photos from Flickr and posting them as his own. He's on Flickr now and constantly inviting me to join groups he has started (I refuse).  Someone told me Mr Pounds is mildly retarded (what's the PC term for that?) and doesn't realize what he's doing is wrong, but I want nothing to do with him and have blocked him from my Flickr page.

Didn't his mother come on the button copy group and say that he's autistic, and because of that we should just let him be?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 10, 2018, 11:20:59 AM

Didn't his mother come on the button copy group and say that he's autistic, and because of that we should just let him be?

I remember someone saying something, but don't remember who is was.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ipeters61

Not sure if this has been posted or if it would count, but I noticed this when street viewing NJ-495:

Google Maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/KiXBGydAEgH2
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2018, 11:44:10 AM

Sounds like he'd fare better on Pinterest, where you can post almost all of the internet as if copyrights and permissions didn't exist.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 13, 2018, 05:38:42 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 10, 2018, 11:44:10 AM

Sounds like he'd fare better on Pinterest, where you can post almost all of the internet as if copyrights and permissions didn't exist.

Like any other site, Pinterest conforms to the DMCA, and they are supposed to respond to copyright infringement notices quickly. That said, typical online practice is that you can share just about anything, as long as you give the original source. In the case of Pinterest and Tumblr, the source is already given when you repost something.

D-Dey65

Just out of curiosity, where was this pic?

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY19520271&view=3

And who's idea was it to make something like this?

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY20010091&view=3

formulanone

Electrospark finds old Kodachrome slides and posts them on Flickr; here's the corner of Cleveland & Ft. Harrison in Clearwater, Florida:

Bank of Clearwater – 1969 by ElectroSpark, on Flickr

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on August 02, 2018, 10:30:09 PM
Electrospark finds old Kodachrome slides and posts them on Flickr; here's the corner of Cleveland & Ft. Harrison in Clearwater, Florida:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1778/29944447908_4012528eab_b.jpg

OT: funny how some states, such as Florida, have gone backwards in terms of signal placement. That old setup is great...good visibility for all approaches. Modern Florida signals are just overhead; not as good in my opinion.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2018, 02:23:34 AM

OT: funny how some states, such as Florida, have gone backwards in terms of signal placement. That old setup is great...good visibility for all approaches. Modern Florida signals are just overhead; not as good in my opinion.

I don't agree they've gone backwards, at least in terms of safety. A lack of elegance? ...Maybe, but that's subjective.

Almost all signals in Florida seem to feature several traffic lights set back past the intersection's midpoint, like any other modern setup. The sheer quantity at some of those 3-lane by 3-lane intersections can be staggering. Central-point mounted traffic signals are rare finds in Florida, since a lot of span-wire setups have been discarded over the past few decades to make them "hurricane-proof", or to be replaced with LED signals in high-traffic areas. There's still a few old setups where the span wires cross the intersections with an "X" pattern, with the protected left in the center. But Florida also uses a lot of doghouses for permissive lefts, and has been for at least 40 years.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on August 03, 2018, 09:13:39 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2018, 02:23:34 AM

I don't agree they've gone backwards, at least in terms of safety. A lack of elegance? ...Maybe, but that's subjective.

Almost all signals in Florida seem to feature several traffic lights set back past the intersection's midpoint, like any other modern setup. The sheer quantity at some of those 3-lane by 3-lane intersections can be staggering. Central-point mounted traffic signals are rare finds in Florida, since a lot of span-wire setups have been discarded over the past few decades to make them "hurricane-proof", or to be replaced with LED signals in high-traffic areas. There's still a few old setups where the span wires cross the intersections with an "X" pattern, with the protected left in the center. But Florida also uses a lot of doghouses for permissive lefts, and has been for at least 40 years.

The root of my comment was the lack of any additional pole-mounted signals in modern setups. Old setups had this, since that single overhead signal was not always easy to see from every angle. When California started using mast arm signals, they kept the pole mounted signals, which is why California now has both. Seattle is like Florida; more than a few pole mounted signals back in the day, many having been replaced by overhead-only signals. Overhead signals are likely easier spotted, but the best of both worlds is both overhead and pole signals combined.

formulanone

You'll still see a few pole-mounted signals in Florida, but usually only for corners that might be blind from a short distance or obstructed for some reason.

Palm Beach County used to have a few giant intersections with secondary signals, which was great for long backups or getting stuck behind a truck. (Or for knowing that you'll creep forward on red, and stay motionless in green during rush hour.) They've also disappeared over the past few years; lack of compliance or maintenance costs?

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on August 03, 2018, 10:20:48 PM
You'll still see a few pole-mounted signals in Florida, but usually only for corners that might be blind from a short distance or obstructed for some reason.

Credit where credit's due, I suppose.

Quote from: formulanone on August 03, 2018, 10:20:48 PM
Palm Beach County used to have a few giant intersections with secondary signals, which was great for long backups or getting stuck behind a truck. (Or for knowing that you'll creep forward on red, and stay motionless in green during rush hour.) They've also disappeared over the past few years; lack of compliance or maintenance costs?

Looking around the county, it looks like more than a few have near-side overhead signals, which is great: https://goo.gl/XNC53x (it's not something I've seen elsewhere in FL).

Looks like a few older setups had near-side signals that were pole-mounted. Those are my preference, though I certainly appreciate any type of near-side signal.

Do you know of any older setups that are still intact? I think they've slowly disappeared in some states due to a lack of creativity on the part of engineers. If it's not required, why bother? Well, there's a reason other places require it. WA does not require any secondary signals, but many cities use it due to an interest in improving visibility, reducing red light running, etc.

ipeters61

My undergrad school (Eastern Connecticut State University) posted this photo recently.  Not sure when they were called Willimantic State College (I'm guessing 1959-1967, since WCSU's Wikipedia page says that's when that naming convention was used), but it's pretty cool:

Citation
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.