The Los Angeles Clippers is rumored to go to Inglewood

Started by bing101, July 21, 2017, 07:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

hotdogPi

Quote from: epzik8 on July 25, 2017, 10:39:32 AM
Inglewood Clippers?

Probably not. We have the New York Giants and New York Jets in New Jersey.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SP Cook

Inglewood is in Los Angeles County, and the Kings and Lakers all went by "Los Angeles" when they played in the old LA Forum from 1967 to 99.   

This makes little sense to me.  It is a move of, what, 2 miles?  Why would not the Clippers join the Ducks in the suburbs?

davewiecking

"Los Angeles Clippers of Inglewood". Rolls right off the tongue.

DTComposer

Quote from: SP Cook on July 25, 2017, 11:33:25 AM
Inglewood is in Los Angeles County, and the Kings and Lakers all went by "Los Angeles" when they played in the old LA Forum from 1967 to 99.   

This makes little sense to me.  It is a move of, what, 2 miles?  Why would not the Clippers join the Ducks in the suburbs?

It's closer to 8 miles (not that it's that much of a difference), and I think it makes sense that they want to get in on the shiny new sports complex that's being built, and get out of Staples Center where they've always been second banana to the Lakers, even over the last five years when the Clippers have been the far superior team. By the time the Inglewood arena is complete Staples Center will be 20 years old, which nowadays is something of a relic.

I agree with you, though, why they don't go to Anaheim (and why they didn't years ago) is a mystery to me. Now that they've been a legit playoff team for several years, they could dominate the Orange County part of the market (3 million+ people) and could also draw strong support from the Inland Empire, Long Beach and north San Diego County.

bing101

Also Los Angeles has been mentioned to bid on the 2024 games and 2028 Olympics how much are these rumors of a stadium deal is really a way to sway the IOC in Los Angeles favor with a promise of a new stadium.

Henry

Let's hope it's just that, a rumor. Why the hell would Inglewood want to be associated with notorious losers like the Clippers, after years of Lakers championship runs? (they wouldn't)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bing101

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/28/deal-that-would-designate-l-a-as-host-of-2028-olympics-is-very-very-close-mayor-eric-garcetti-says/

I say the Clippers Inglewood deal is really a cover for the 2024 games. Well the IOC is notable for getting cities to build new stadiums though.

I-39

They should go back to San Diego, LA doesn't need two basketball teams.

Just like the Thunder should go back to Seattle.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: bing101 on July 29, 2017, 10:12:15 AM
I say the Clippers Inglewood deal is really a cover for the 2024 games.

This.

The IOC sucks and I don't want to see my fellow citizens getting burned by some Olympic bullcrap.  Boston, Chicago and New York have all dodged the bullet recently.  Hopefully LA will wise up and tell the IOC they can have their games in the City of Angles only if they can use their dozens and dozens of existing sports facilities in the area.  If that's not good enough, they can pound sand.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SP Cook

The Olympics are an exercise in d*** measuring.   LA needs roads, schools, hospitals, and other infrastructure.  But rather than that it (and that means not only the LA city government, but other local governments, its practically and morally bankrupt state government, and worst of all the federal government) will be spending billions on building venues for pointless sports that no one understands.

Do not use derogatory terms on this forum and keep the politics to a minimum -sso

bing101

It will be interesting how Inglewood will play into the Olympics though such as New Rams/Chargers stadiums plus this New Clippers arena.

I'm not entirely sure if the Staples center will even exist in 2028 though.

SP Cook

I doubt it, but the city lists the Staples Center as hosting basketball.   The new NFL stadium is supposed to get half of the opening and closing ceremony (apparently both will have half the show, with the other half at the old Coliseum), with archery (big ticket there) in the stadium's shopping district.  Soccer is listed as TBA. 

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: I-39 on July 29, 2017, 10:18:27 AM

Just like the Thunder should go back to Seattle.
And the Kings should go back to KC. California doesn't need 4 basketball teams. You already got the Golden State Warriors in Oakland just a stones throw away.

hotdogPi

Quote from: dvferyance on September 18, 2017, 09:52:33 PM
California doesn't need 4 basketball teams.

Based on the total number of NBA teams, the total United States population, and California's population, 4 is the right number.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

mrsman

It would be weird to see e the Clippers in Inglewood.  I grew up in the era where the Lakers were in Inglewood and the Clippers were in Downtown LA, and now they are going to do the reverse.

IMO, SoCal was always 2 regions for sports:  The old 213 and the old 714.  In the 70's and 80's all of greater LA was 2 area codes, 213 comprising most of LA County south of Santa Clarita, and 714 comprising Pomona Valley, Orange County, and Inland Empire.  (I haven't lived in LA in over 15 years and can no longer keep track of all the area codes there.)  213 was represented by the Dodgers and the Raiders and the Kings.  714 was represented by the Angels and the Rams and (later the Ducks).  There is no reason why the 2 basketball teams shouldn't also be divided in this manner.  Lakers in Downtown LA and the Clippers in Anaheim.

So I agree that the Clips should move to Anaheim or southern OC.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: I-39 on July 29, 2017, 10:18:27 AM

Never mind San Diego.  Send them back to Buffalo. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.