News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Idaho to Vegas in December

Started by doorknob60, September 25, 2017, 06:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doorknob60

So we've finalized a road trip for this December. There's a concert in Idaho Falls we're seeing on the night of December 11th. Plan is to take US-20 the whole way, though if weather is an issue we can stick to the interstates. Originally, the plan was to spend the night after that, then drive back home the next day. Easy, no problem. Well, except just a week ago my wife discovered an event is coming to Las Vegas for December 13th, which is coincidentally great timing for this (it's just a one day a year thing, not a show that plays every night). So on the 12th, we're driving down from Idaho Falls to Las Vegas. I-15 the whole way of course. Will be my first time in Arizona, though it barely counts (almost like an airport layover). We're staying 3 nights in Vegas, then if weather is good, we'll probably shoot all the way back up to Meridian in one day, via US-93 (with the NV-318 shortcut). How's this road in the winter? It is high elevation, but it is also in a desert which statistically appears to be dry. NDOT doesn't have many cameras which is unfortunate compared to ODOT and ITD which have cameras all over. Not in a hurry, so if things go wrong we can spend the night in Ely or Wells (or even stay longer in Vegas).

Road tripping out west in the winter can be sketchy, but hopefully all goes well. On the bright side, hotel prices are very low. Under $60 for our stay in Idaho Falls, and less than $80/night in Vegas staying right on the strip in a 4 star hotel (according to Google), even after all taxes and the resort fees (which includes parking and some other perks). And we paid a few bucks extra on both of these for refundable rates in case things go way bad. Weather wise, I'm more worried about driving to NW Oregon for Christmas. I've had winter weather over the blue mountains even in November haha. Though driving through one of the most desolate areas in the lower 48 on US-93 will be interesting (though really it's not that much worse than US-20 in Eastern Oregon, which I've done many times).

oscar

Can't comment on winter conditions, but if you don't know about them already, beware of speed traps in Carey ID, and Jackpot NV (just south of the state line).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

doorknob60

Quote from: oscar on September 25, 2017, 07:11:59 PM
Can't comment on winter conditions, but if you don't know about them already, beware of speed traps in Carey ID, and Jackpot NV (just south of the state line).

Thanks for the heads up. I try to go the speed limit through all towns like this just in case, but I'll definitely note those two. I could definitely be better in the transition zones (which the meaner cops will try to nab you on, eg. right after it lowers from 65 to 45 and before the town really starts, or I start accelerating too soon on the way out).

oscar

Quote from: doorknob60 on September 26, 2017, 03:10:12 PM
Quote from: oscar on September 25, 2017, 07:11:59 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I try to go the speed limit through all towns like this just in case, but I'll definitely note those two. I could definitely be better in the transition zones (which the meaner cops will try to nab you on, eg. right after it lowers from 65 to 45 and before the town really starts, or I start accelerating too soon on the way out).

Carey has a fairly abrupt transition to lower speeds, starting well outside the populated area.

I'm not sure there is much of a speed limit reduction on US 93 through Jackpot, but I got ticketed right after crossing the border for exceeding the open-highway speed limit.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.