News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Problem With Roads...

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 08, 2017, 02:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Eventually we'll need to build roads to bypass more roads, Due to traffic. So, why not say "Fuck you roads" and start some flying cars and tractor beams?

Thoughts?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

GaryV

In the Jetsons, the flying cars all followed "traffic lanes" that got clogged up like today's freeways at rush hour?

Why?  If you had a flying car, wouldn't you go on a straight-line route from start to finish?  Even if there was some kind of law restricting flight paths, the MFFY drivers would head off on their own.

And then imagine the crashes that would ensue!

Maybe if self-driving cars become a mass-consumption reality, there wouldn't be the need for new roads.  The existing roads could handle more traffic, because the system would know where every car was going and would program accordingly.  (This would require that roads be designated for self-driving cars only, something that might be done just as some lanes are designated for carpools only.)  That is, until someone hacked the system and everything went to heck in a hand basket.

cjk374

Hell to the naw! Then the FAA would get involved since flying is their field of expertise.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

epzik8

We should have had the technology years ago.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

wanderer2575

Quote from: epzik8 on October 08, 2017, 08:45:27 AM

We did.  It's just not feasible.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3188/why-were-midcentury-futurist-predictions-like-flying-cars-so-wrong

And even if it were, the results could be scary:

Look at your fellow commuters:  The woman in the next car is reading her Kindle.  The guy on the other side is shaving.  The kid ahead of you is sexting his boyfriend.  These are the people you want driving around the sky at 125 miles an hour?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Back To The Future= 2015

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 08, 2017, 09:21:36 AM

We did.  It's just not feasible.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3188/why-were-midcentury-futurist-predictions-like-flying-cars-so-wrong

And even if it were, the results could be scary:

Look at your fellow commuters:  The woman in the next car is reading her Kindle.  The guy on the other side is shaving.  The kid ahead of you is sexting his boyfriend.  These are the people you want driving around the sky at 125 miles an hour?
Like in Family Guy's "Food Kills"! There were flying cars in the documentary that drove on the ground because everyone was too fat to allow the car to fly!  :-D

theroadwayone

The technology for flying cars is here; it's just a matter of making it work properly, and that can take years. But it'll come, one way or another.

Aerobird

Quote from: theroadwayone on October 08, 2017, 04:27:38 PM
The technology for flying cars is here; it's just a matter of making it work properly, and that can take years. But it'll come, one way or another.

They said that in 1946 as well.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

MNHighwayMan

I'm pretty sure I said this in another thread, but: we do have flying cars. They're called helicopters. The reason they're not ubiquitous is because they're huge, loud, and expensive. Furthermore, as it turns out, managing three axes of motion is much more difficult than two. Who knew.

Takumi

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 08, 2017, 08:25:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I said this in another thread, but: we do have flying cars. They're called helicopters. The reason they're not ubiquitous is because they're huge, loud, and expensive. Furthermore, as it turns out, managing three axes of motion is much more difficult than two. Who knew.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, our state DOT's will have a field day setting up tractor beams. I guess you'd need a piolts license of some sort. :hmmm:

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 08, 2017, 08:25:31 PM

A seasoned commercial airline pilot once told me that he found flying a helicopter much more difficult than anticipated.

DJStephens

yeah, that guy "Gentry" would second that.   

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.