News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Little Rock's Amazon Fiasco

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 24, 2017, 01:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, we all know Arkansas' capitol city has its flaws, but the break-up letter is getting out of control!

http://www.arkansasmatters.com/news/local-news/dear-little-rock-launched-in-response-to-amazon-breakup/843466495
https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2017/10/14/arkies-get-your-gun-permits-campus-carry-rules-have-been-drawn-up

There are quite a bit of things that need to happen with the city and state as a whole... :banghead:

I just wish our electees were strategic in implementing laws... They mention the CCW modification for colleges that will soon be a thing.

Our towns are slowly falling apart, our highways are falling apart, and our state government isn't the brightest. :ded:

...I-I give up... :banghead:

How does one fix a dysfunctional state? :hmmm: :coffee:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Brandon

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 24, 2017, 01:47:10 PM
How does one fix a dysfunctional state? :hmmm: :coffee:

Beats the shit out of me, I live in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Little Rock's "breakup letter" was pretty clever. It drew attention to the good things about Little Rock without chasing the other cities down the rabbit hole of giving away the house. They may not get the big prize but several smaller companies may give Little Rock a second look because of it.

Over here in Oklahoma, we're facing a $215 million budget shortfall. Governor Fallin called a special session of the legislature to resolve the issue but the legislature has not been bothering to actually meet because nobody has a workable plan anyone can agree on. If they don't get something resolved soon parts of the state government will suffer deep emergency cuts. There's been talk of OkDOT halting construction projects in place, sodding over them, and leaving them as-is.

So if you come up with a way to fix a dysfunctional state, please visit beautiful Oklahoma City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 24, 2017, 05:56:29 PM
Little Rock's "breakup letter" was pretty clever. It drew attention to the good things about Little Rock without chasing the other cities down the rabbit hole of giving away the house. They may not get the big prize but several smaller companies may give Little Rock a second look because of it.

Over here in Oklahoma, we're facing a $215 million budget shortfall. Governor Fallin called a special session of the legislature to resolve the issue but the legislature has not been bothering to actually meet because nobody has a workable plan anyone can agree on. If they don't get something resolved soon parts of the state government will suffer deep emergency cuts. There's been talk of OkDOT halting construction projects in place, sodding over them, and leaving them as-is.

So if you come up with a way to fix a dysfunctional state, please visit beautiful Oklahoma City.
What I really focused on was the Arkansas Times' "Dear, Little Rock". It sheds light on the city's problems and the state's problem and frankly it a poor state (pun; take it or leave it) of affairs we put up with... :banghead:

US71

I like how our governor wants to give big tax rebates to the corporations then raise taxes to fix the roads.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bruce

Little Rock had 0 chances of winning. It fails most of the transportation and housing requirements.

By being one of only two metros to withdraw from bidding (San Antonio being the other), they've attracted a lot of attention. While flying a plane over Seattle was a bit much, it's effective and you're not selling out your taxes to a corporation. Learn the lesson that we have: companies that get billions in tax breaks do not stay loyal.

https://twitter.com/AshliKIRO7/status/922533617409986560

(And pretty much every state has its own dysfunctional legislature/government. Just ask Washington's failure to fund education and launching "investigations" designed to deflect attention away from certain issues worsened by a certain party.)

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Bruce on October 24, 2017, 08:39:12 PM
Little Rock had 0 chances of winning. It fails most of the transportation and housing requirements.

By being one of only two metros to withdraw from bidding (San Antonio being the other), they've attracted a lot of attention. While flying a plane over Seattle was a bit much, it's effective and you're not selling out your taxes to a corporation. Learn the lesson that we have: companies that get billions in tax breaks do not stay loyal.

https://twitter.com/AshliKIRO7/status/922533617409986560

(And pretty much every state has its own dysfunctional legislature/government. Just ask Washington's failure to fund education and launching "investigations" designed to deflect attention away from certain issues worsened by a certain party.)
This whole thing is a great example of them "branding" an underpass...

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on October 24, 2017, 08:35:18 PM
I like how our governor wants to give big tax rebates to the corporations then raise taxes to fix the roads.
I do like how ARDOT reached out to the citizens of the state (well, at least the ones who took the survey).

I don't know, I think we're heading somewhere we shouldn't...

Yeah, all you hear about Asa are the good things, then why is our state's economy still shit? He is basically leaving our state transportation department to fend for itself, but it's not like they don't waste tax dollars anyway... :banghead:

Should I just move out of the country? Why am I just now realizing how shit the US is? :hmmm: :coffee:

triplemultiplex

I should've tried that in high school.  "No, I won't go out with you, hottest girl in school who would never consider dating me in the first place!"
:spin:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 24, 2017, 10:20:52 PM
I should've tried that in high school.  "No, I won't go out with you, hottest girl in school who would never consider dating me in the first place!"
:spin:

:-D

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 24, 2017, 10:07:45 PM

Should I just move out of the country? Why am I just now realizing how shit the US is? :hmmm: :coffee:

AS long as it's somewhere pumpkin face won't try to nuke :-o
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kkt

Quote from: US71 on October 25, 2017, 09:09:56 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 24, 2017, 10:07:45 PM

AS long as it's somewhere pumpkin face won't try to nuke :-o

So, Moscow?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.