Which little details in US/Interstate highway systems really bother you?

Started by mrpablue, November 04, 2017, 03:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: jcn on November 23, 2017, 11:34:39 AM
Looking at all these posts, I agree about I-97.  The fact that I-476 is much longer makes no sense.

I also agree about US 202.  Residing in the Delaware Valley, I find it unusual that US 202 is one of the major routes in that region, yet US 2 comes nowhere near that region.

And someone also mentioned how there's no interstate along the southern part of the NJ Turnpike because it's part of the thru route from New York to Washington DC.  About that, the 95 ramps are opening in less than a year, and the thru route might change as a result.
US 202 connects with US 2 at it's northern terminus though.

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on November 15, 2017, 10:07:40 AM
Quote from: vdeane on November 14, 2017, 09:12:20 PM
I'd truncate I-41 to end at I-43 and decommission I-894.
Yeah, especially since I-41 isn't going anywhere near Chicago anytime soon.
I-41 will never enter Illinois other than the mile to connect it to US 41 but I'm pretty sure Illinois has no use for I-41 it would have been better to run I-55 or I-57 up to Milwaukee then have that run in I-43's spot. Also with US 41 and I-41 being the same highway there is no confusion there.

bassoon1986

Here are mine:

-Like many of you, I dislike the duplicated interstate numbers when there are numbers available.

-New US or other route additions/extensions that don't make sense and are not direct. US 371 is an awful alternative to US 71, especially in Arkansas. I miss having LA 7. Also the extension of US 63 south of W Memphis makes a horrible zig-zaggy route

-I can't stand highways without enough mileage signs! Louisiana has major highways that rarely have mileage to upcoming cities. Honestly I think a lot of this came from the 4-laning of many US highways and signs never got replaced or updated. But going south from Alexandria, there are few mileage signs between towns. In fact, I don't even think Lake Charles is mentioned on any sign again once you leave the traffic circle interchange in Alexandria until you merge onto I-10.

-I hate when Highway overlaps are not signed. Especially when, say a lesser route, has a significant corridor on the other ends. A good example for me is the missing US 77 signs along I-35 through Dallas. US 77 has its own path in Oklahoma and is a major highway south of Waxahachie and Waco. US 62 in NW Arkansas is another.

-Can't stand the Bay St Louis/Pascagoula signs along the gulf coast for I-10. Leave the destinations as New Orleans and Mobile or add Gulfport.

iPhone

roadman65

I can't see why now Easton is used on I-78 out of NJ.  Yes originally it used US 22 between the two states before NJ and PA completed I-78 between Exit 3 in NJ and Khunsville, PA in 1990.  Easton is a major city where US 22 goes through at the NJ-PA State Line and is a great point of reference, but now I-78 bypasses Easton to the south and of course Allentown is the third largest city in PA and should be mentioned even from NYC.

In fact the NJ Turnpike now uses Allentown on a mileage sign along I-78 in Jersey City and ignores Easton altogether.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.