News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Major League sports expansion sites

Started by Desert Man, November 06, 2017, 02:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

Quote from: 1 on December 20, 2017, 01:17:20 PM
Would a market for Fresno and Visalia work? It would probably expand to Bakersfield, Merced, Salinas, and/or Santa Maria.

I doubt it. If you take Fresno/Merced/Visalia/Hanford together, you get about 2.1 million people, but that's stretched over 100+ miles. Plus, much of that region, while growing, is not terribly affluent, so I don't know what you'd get in corporate support.

Salinas is closer to San Francisco than Fresno by about 50 miles; Bakersfield is a comparable distance to either Fresno or downtown L.A. (traffic notwithstanding), so I don't know how much pull you'd get from those regions.

Bruce

In actual news, Nashville has been confirmed as the 24th Major League Soccer franchise, to begin play in 2020. A 27,500-seat soccer stadium will be built on the Nashville Fairgrounds site southeast of downtown.

MLS is rumored to announce the remaining four expansion franchises before the beginning of the next season (in March). Among the bidders: Miami, Cincinnati, Detroit, Sacramento, Phoenix, St. Louis, San Diego, Raleigh, Charlotte, Indianapolis, and San Antonio. Los Angeles's second team will begin play in March (with a new stadium opening in April).

Road Hog

My secret fantasy is DFW getting a National League baseball team so it can join the other big markets in having one in each league. Only problem is all the other NL teams are in markets that appear untapped, no matter how much the Miami Marlins owner ju dour poor-mouths. (Mark Cuban tried to buy the Pirates and got shot down.) So it would have to be via expansion, and even then the Texas Rangers would almost certainly have veto power.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Road Hog on December 29, 2017, 09:38:43 PM
My secret fantasy is DFW getting a National League baseball team so it can join the other big markets in having one in each league. Only problem is all the other NL teams are in markets that appear untapped, no matter how much the Miami Marlins owner ju dour poor-mouths. (Mark Cuban tried to buy the Pirates and got shot down.) So it would have to be via expansion, and even then the Texas Rangers would almost certainly have veto power.

What if the Texas Rangers moved from the American League to the National League? The Astros moved from the National to the American League.

Desert Man

Dallas-Fort Worth (the Metroplex) may be 6th or 7th largest metropolis in the nation, more people than Houston, itself the 4th-soon 3rd US largest city, so it's possible for Dallas to have a NL team, apart from Arlington in Tarrant county 25 miles to the west. I believe Phoenix, AZ as the 5th US largest city can be an American League city, but the NL's Arizona D-backs wouldn't like the competition. Reminds me of the 1950s when Boston, Philadelphia and St. Louis when the cities were larger had 2 major league baseball teams: today, the Boston Red Sox (AL), Philadelphia Phillies (NL) and St. Louis Cardinals (NL) are the only ones. And NYC's 3 teams in 1957, similar to Southern CA's 3 teams: Los Angeles (former Brooklyn) Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim and San Diego Padres - a stone's throw away from Tijuana, Mexico. The MLB expansion in the 2020s will grant a 2nd team for Canada (Montreal-Les Expos Millennials, most likely NL) and maybe Mexico (Monterrey-Los Aguilas, the AL), but one for Dallas (the Dollars in NL) and spring training center (15 MLB teams) Phoenix (the Firebirds in AL) is still possible.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

SP Cook

The chances of a additional team in any of the four major spectator sports in the same market as an existing team is virtually zero. 

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Desert Man on December 31, 2017, 01:40:23 PM
I believe Phoenix, AZ as the 5th US largest city can be an American League city, but the NL's Arizona D-backs wouldn't like the competition.

There is a several-orders-of-magnitude less than zero chance of an AL team in Phoenix, unless the D'backs move there like the Astros did.  It has nothing to do with Phoenix being the 5th largest city in the US.  That's irrelevant.  What matters is the size of the metro -- about 4.5 million people in Maricopa and northern Pinal Counties -- which makes it about 14th largest.  It's TV market #12 now, but that includes the entire northern 2/3 of the state, not just central Arizona.

Phoenix can barely support one team in each major sport as it is.  Just like Boston, Philly, and St. Louis in the early 1950s:  The 2nd baseball team (Braves, A's, and Browns) had to leave or go under.  Those markets were not big enough to support two teams, and they were far more important markets then than Phoenix is now.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Desert Man

Florida could have 3 MLB teams, also a state saturated in 15 spring training facilities or sites. Miami can have an AL team (how about the Florida Alligators?) vs. the Miami Marlins of the NL or league rival Tampa Bay Rays? This is feasible, Miami with nearby Hialeah, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach is among the nation's top 10 metro areas in size.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SP Cook on January 01, 2018, 01:07:34 PM
The chances of a additional team in any of the four major spectator sports in the same market as an existing team is virtually zero.

The only chance, if any, is putting an NBA team in Newark to replace the Nets, or a second NHL team in Toronto.

Quote from: Desert Man on January 01, 2018, 07:34:33 PM
Florida could have 3 MLB teams, also a state saturated in 15 spring training facilities or sites. Miami can have an AL team (how about the Florida Alligators?) vs. the Miami Marlins of the NL or league rival Tampa Bay Rays? This is feasible, Miami with nearby Hialeah, Ft. Lauderdale and West Palm Beach is among the nation's top 10 metro areas in size.

Why in the name of sanity would MLB add a 3rd franchise in Florida?  One is in financial ruin, and the other plays in a total s***hole of a stadium.  Most of the fans that attend games are transplants who root for the other team that they rooted for when they lived up north.  The only thing you're  doing by adding a 3rd team is making a shorter drive for fans of the other team.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 01, 2018, 10:41:58 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on January 01, 2018, 01:07:34 PM

The only chance, if any, is putting an NBA team in Newark to replace the Nets, or a second NHL team in Toronto.

Quote from: Desert Man on January 01, 2018, 07:34:33 PM

Newark and New York are the same area.  It's basically like saying since the Redskins moved to Landover, MD, DC needs to find another team to put in RFK stadium.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 01, 2018, 10:52:25 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 01, 2018, 10:41:58 PM

Newark and New York are the same area.  It's basically like saying since the Redskins moved to Landover, MD, DC needs to find another team to put in RFK stadium.

A lot of Rangers (and Islanders) fans in NJ go to Devils games because it's more convenient and cheaper. Some even convert. So with two NBA teams in NY, a third team in NJ could draw substantial crowds.

Mccojm

With the possibility of me moving to Charlotte in near future, I like to think mlb moving there to fill the gap between dc and Atlanta is possible. Also, with hurricanes failing in Raleigh, I thought the team would do better if moved to bigger more popular Charlotte but I don't think nhl is even interested in that.  Also many people in Charlotte say the city is not ready to handle mlb or nhl as it's tough enough to compete for entertainment dollars between nfl, nba, nascar, and minor leagues. Also population explosion is due to northerners like myself would be, moving south and would bring their team affiliations with them rather than support the new local team esp if the team is garbage standing wise. I mean, if I lived there I'd probably support Charlotte mlb and nhl team but my fandom for the Mets, islanders, and jets will always supersede that team.
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

jp the roadgeek

I've always considered a team in the Carolinas and Montreal (Les Expos nouveau) to be the next 2 MLB franchises.  If a team does end up in The Triad, it could be a major league version of the Durham Bulls.  Granted it would look strange to have Durham be the name of a major league city, but if Green Bay can be, why not? As for Montreal, if they can get a ballpark built, people will come, especially if the franchise is in the same division as the Blue Jays, Red Sox, and Yankees.   Those teams would sell out the ballpark with fans that would come from eastern Ontario, far upstate NY, and northern Vermont who live far from their favorite team's ballpark.  Meanwhile, a Durham team in the NL would create a new territorial rivalry with the Braves.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

The Triad refers to the Greensboro—High Point—Winston-Salem area, FWIW. Durham isn't part of the Triad.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mccojm

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 02, 2018, 08:29:52 PM
The Triad refers to the Greensboro—High Point—Winston-Salem area, FWIW. Durham isn't part of the Triad.

Isn't Durham part of the research triangle with Raleigh and chapel hill?  What region is considered the piedmont?
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

1995hoo

Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are the Triangle. About an hour to the west you find the Triad (sometimes called the Piedmont Triad), which refers to Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dvferyance

Quote from: Desert Man on December 31, 2017, 01:40:23 PM
Dallas-Fort Worth (the Metroplex) may be 6th or 7th largest metropolis in the nation, more people than Houston, itself the 4th-soon 3rd US largest city, so it's possible for Dallas to have a NL team, apart from Arlington in Tarrant county 25 miles to the west. I believe Phoenix, AZ as the 5th US largest city can be an American League city, but the NL's Arizona D-backs wouldn't like the competition. Reminds me of the 1950s when Boston, Philadelphia and St. Louis when the cities were larger had 2 major league baseball teams: today, the Boston Red Sox (AL), Philadelphia Phillies (NL) and St. Louis Cardinals (NL) are the only ones. And NYC's 3 teams in 1957, similar to Southern CA's 3 teams: Los Angeles (former Brooklyn) Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels in Anaheim and San Diego Padres - a stone's throw away from Tijuana, Mexico. The MLB expansion in the 2020s will grant a 2nd team for Canada (Montreal-Les Expos Millennials, most likely NL) and maybe Mexico (Monterrey-Los Aguilas, the AL), but one for Dallas (the Dollars in NL) and spring training center (15 MLB teams) Phoenix (the Firebirds in AL) is still possible.
Baseball is done in Montreal for good. There was no support for it. Just forget baseball in Canada.

jp the roadgeek

I beg to differ with Montreal.  The reason they lost the Expos is they played in an absolute dump of a ballpark, and couldn't get a new ballpark built.  I've been to the Vet, and Stade Olympique made the Vet seem like Fenway or Wrigley.  I would say only The Trop is as bad, and if the Rays can't get a new  ballpark built, they will suffer the same fate.  A stadium with improved turf and a retractable roof THAT WORKS would draw fans to the ballpark.  And with Montreal being less than an hour from far upstate NY and northern VT, if you put Les Expos Nouveau in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees, you could draw Red Sox and Yankees fans 9 or 10 times a year that would prefer to make the short drive to see their team play rather than travelling the 5-6 hours to Boston or NYC.  I watched the 2 exhibition games there a couple of years ago between the Jays and Red Sox, and that place was filled to the rafters.  There is a support site for the movement:

http://www.montrealbaseballproject.com/en/   

dvferyance

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 03, 2018, 10:56:20 PM
I beg to differ with Montreal.  The reason they lost the Expos is they played in an absolute dump of a ballpark, and couldn't get a new ballpark built.  I've been to the Vet, and Stade Olympique made the Vet seem like Fenway or Wrigley.  I would say only The Trop is as bad, and if the Rays can't get a new  ballpark built, they will suffer the same fate.  A stadium with improved turf and a retractable roof THAT WORKS would draw fans to the ballpark.  And with Montreal being less than an hour from far upstate NY and northern VT, if you put Les Expos Nouveau in the same division as the Red Sox and Yankees, you could draw Red Sox and Yankees fans 9 or 10 times a year that would prefer to make the short drive to see their team play rather than travelling the 5-6 hours to Boston or NYC.  I watched the 2 exhibition games there a couple of years ago between the Jays and Red Sox, and that place was filled to the rafters.  There is a support site for the movement:

Then Canada should just get it's own baseball league then if Montreal really is this big baseball town that you claim it is. They no longer allow us to be a part of the CFL it should work both ways. They coulnd't get a ballpark built becasue there was no support for one anyways. So what if there is a website. Anyone can launch a website to promote anything they want. Doesn't mean there is a realistic chance of it happening. The Rays stadium isn't even 30 years old. Why do we keep replacing stadiums before they have served their useful life? I don't get it. The Georgia Dome and the RCA Dome all could have lasted at least another 5 more years.

hotdogPi

Quote from: dvferyance on January 15, 2018, 11:38:45 AM

Then Canada should just get it's own baseball league then if Montreal really is this big baseball town that you claim it is. They no longer allow us to be a part of the CFL it should work both ways. They coulnd't get a ballpark built becasue there was no support for one anyways. The Rays stadium isn't even 30 years old. Why do we keep replacing stadiums before they have served their useful life? I don't get it. The Georgia Dome and the RCA Dome all could have lasted at least another 5 more years.

For Canada to have its own baseball league, several other cities in Canada would need their own teams, not just Montreal.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

dvferyance

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2018, 11:40:21 AM

Then Canada should just get it's own baseball league then if Montreal really is this big baseball town that you claim it is. They no longer allow us to be a part of the CFL it should work both ways. They coulnd't get a ballpark built becasue there was no support for one anyways. The Rays stadium isn't even 30 years old. Why do we keep replacing stadiums before they have served their useful life? I don't get it. The Georgia Dome and the RCA Dome all could have lasted at least another 5 more years.

For Canada to have its own baseball league, several other cities in Canada would need their own teams, not just Montreal.
Australia can do it and they have even less people than Canada.

jp the roadgeek

Didn't work out in other western Canadian cities. Used to be AAA teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary that all moved south across the border.  Even Ottawa had an International League team (the Lynx) until 2007 that moved to LVO, and might still be there if Les Expos didn't move.  The interest for baseball is there in Montreal; it's just a matter of getting funding to help build the ballpark.

Tropicana Field is the indoor version of the cookie cutter multi-purpose stadiums built in the late 60's and early 70's (and no, Mr. Trump did not paraphrase me when I called it a s***hole.)  It's The Metrodome with no storied history.  Not very fan friendly, and no other ballpark has the ridiculous ground rules with the catwalks (it's like playing baseball in your backyard).    If you really want to talk about a stadium that was abandoned before its time, try Turner Field.  Not even 20 years old.  Seems like the Braves were playing at The Launching Pad just yesterday.

dvferyance

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 16, 2018, 10:07:23 AM

Didn't work out in other western Canadian cities. Used to be AAA teams in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary that all moved south across the border.  Even Ottawa had an International League team (the Lynx) until 2007 that moved to LVO, and might still be there if Les Expos didn't move.  The interest for baseball is there in Montreal; it's just a matter of getting funding to help build the ballpark.

Tropicana Field is the indoor version of the cookie cutter multi-purpose stadiums built in the late 60's and early 70's (and no, Mr. Trump did not paraphrase me when I called it a s***hole.)  It's The Metrodome with no storied history.  Not very fan friendly, and no other ballpark has the ridiculous ground rules with the catwalks (it's like playing baseball in your backyard).    If you really want to talk about a stadium that was abandoned before its time, try Turner Field.  Not even 20 years old.  Seems like the Braves were playing at The Launching Pad just yesterday.
Tropicana Field was built in 1990.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: dvferyance on January 16, 2018, 04:03:09 PM
Tropicana Field was built in 1990.

I'm aware of that.  I was just making the comparison to the ballparks built in that era: multi-purpose (granted in the case of the Trop it ended up being for hockey and basketball, the latter including the greatest game in college basketball history on March 29, 1999 :D), and cookie cutter with no character.

Flint1979

Then Canada should just get it's own baseball league then if Montreal really is this big baseball town that you claim it is. They no longer allow us to be a part of the CFL it should work both ways. They coulnd't get a ballpark built becasue there was no support for one anyways. So what if there is a website. Anyone can launch a website to promote anything they want. Doesn't mean there is a realistic chance of it happening. The Rays stadium isn't even 30 years old. Why do we keep replacing stadiums before they have served their useful life? I don't get it. The Georgia Dome and the RCA Dome all could have lasted at least another 5 more years.
The Rays stadium is a complete joke for a baseball stadium and was when it was brand new. Olympic Stadium wasn't 30 years old yet either when the Expos left.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.