News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TV stations with scrolling dials

Started by bugo, November 06, 2017, 09:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

When I was a kid, there was a local TV station that showed a series of scrolling dials. The dials were for temperature, barometric pressure, time, etc. The station was in black and white, and the dials would slowly scroll horizontally across the screen. When it got to the last dial, it would change direction and scroll back to the beginning, where it would scroll the other way. It appears that the station used a camera that rotated in a device with the different instruments. This would have been back in the early 1980s. Does anybody remember something like this? Is there a clip online of a station like this?

US71

We had revolving dials plus a PSA board at the end. I don't remember if there was also a forecast board. Channel 13, simulcasted KNWA-FM an easy listening station.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Road Hog

Our cable weather channel was digital, just a blue screen with white characters showing the data. It was also highly inaccurate – often showed temps way up in the 100s on days it barely touched 90. Little bit of a shade issue.

catch22

Quote from: bugo on November 06, 2017, 09:02:51 PM
When I was a kid, there was a local TV station that showed a series of scrolling dials. The dials were for temperature, barometric pressure, time, etc. The station was in black and white, and the dials would slowly scroll horizontally across the screen. When it got to the last dial, it would change direction and scroll back to the beginning, where it would scroll the other way. It appears that the station used a camera that rotated in a device with the different instruments. This would have been back in the early 1980s. Does anybody remember something like this? Is there a clip online of a station like this?

Back in the early 1970s, the local cable TV company in Mount Pleasant, MI had this setup on one of the channels.  The system was very basic, VHF only, and had 7 or 8 remote TV stations and this "weather channel,"  nothing else.

renegade

^^ They had this in Sault Ste Marie as well.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

bugo

Quote from: Road Hog on November 06, 2017, 11:54:32 PM
Our cable weather channel was digital, just a blue screen with white characters showing the data. It was also highly inaccurate – often showed temps way up in the 100s on days it barely touched 90. Little bit of a shade issue.

They quit using the scrolling dials and switched to something similar to what you are describing sometime in the early to mid 1980s.

bugo

I don't remember any audio at all on this station.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.