News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Side by side or over each other: Route shield concurrency signing?

Started by roadman65, November 18, 2017, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finrod

Georgia is wildly inconsistent about these kinds of things.

Here's a Google Maps streetview shot of the reassurance sign for US 23 North, US 29 North, US 78 East, US 278 East, SR 8 East, and SR 10 East in Atlanta.  Before you bring up the link, try to guess how Georgia posted it.  You'll probably be wrong.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7738623,-84.3485943,3a,75y,90h,93.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sB9mkqg_bu4obRq2f-SYWng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

roadman65

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 18, 2017, 11:34:57 PM
I've seen it both ways in CT. 90% of the time it's over each other.  Interstates always get the top spot (I-84/US 6, I-95/US 1), but between US and state, it's usually the lower numbered route getting top spot (US 5 over CT 15, but CT 10 over US 202).  I've seen a couple of side by side route shields on top of LGS mileage signs (CT 159/CT 190 in Suffield, and CT 171/CT 198 in Woodstock).  The quadplex in Danbury is a combination: two side by side over each other signs.  One has I-84/US 7, and the other has US 6/US 202.  All are east-west except US 7.
PennDOT used to use US 22 to the left of I-78 between Hamburg and Fogelsville for many years.  Even ramp signs omitted I-78 at Krumsville and Lehartsville and in Hamburg itself.  Only from PA 61 westward did I-78 get the upper hand.

I believe that had to do with the I-78 freeway being incomplete before 1990, so many (including PennDOT) would consider the Schuykill River the ending of I-78 even though it officially ended for years at Fogelsville with a sign marking the point of end as originally I-78 was not to use PA 309 but have its own freeway further south of its current alignment through the Lehigh Valley.

Anyway, US 130 was signed differently on I-295 as both would have shields place at different spots instead of together until the road was upgraded as before 1985 that was not up to standards then.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 22, 2017, 04:48:11 AM
Quote from: kphoger on November 21, 2017, 02:31:08 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 18, 2017, 10:55:17 PM
Minnesota's general practice is stacks when it's a same-direction concurrency and side-by-sides when it's a perpendicular concurrency.

This is my strong preference.

If we're going to talk preferences, then ...

Well, the OP asked what our preference is, so I just figured that's what I should answer.   :D
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

wanderer2575

Quote from: cwf1701 on November 18, 2017, 07:55:03 PM
In Michigan, the main route would have a larger sign (on freeways). For example, I-96 would have a larger sign than I-275 on the I-96/I-275 multiplex.

That's the norm for Michigan, but the I-96/I-275 concurrency has always been an exception -- large shields for both routes have always been posted.  Perhaps because, while I-96 technically is the primary route, everybody knows it as I-275.

My own preference for photos is side-by-side. 

Also, if there's an auxiliary component such as END, JCT, or a turn for one of the routes, I think the assemblies should be side-by-side.  Something like this can be confusing (I know this isn't a concurrency, but it illustrates the point and should be posted side-by-side):

roadman65

Speaking of Indiana, how about this one with three different shields side by side.

Sheryl Crowe

myosh_tino

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 18, 2017, 10:24:47 PM
It seems that Caltrans tends to favor stacked shields on multiplexes but I've seen it the other way as well.

I tend to see reassurance shields stacked like this...

...but for Freeway Entrance assemblies, the shields are side-by-side.

Note: I know this section of I-980 is not multiplexed with CA-24 but I think you all get the point.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ftballfan

Quote from: wanderer2575 on November 25, 2017, 06:54:15 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on November 18, 2017, 07:55:03 PM
In Michigan, the main route would have a larger sign (on freeways). For example, I-96 would have a larger sign than I-275 on the I-96/I-275 multiplex.

That's the norm for Michigan, but the I-96/I-275 concurrency has always been an exception -- large shields for both routes have always been posted.  Perhaps because, while I-96 technically is the primary route, everybody knows it as I-275.

US-23/M-14 has both roads with the same size shield

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.