News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Jim Nabors Dies

Started by roadman65, December 01, 2017, 02:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Surprise Surprise Surprise!  Also the man who said Golly and Hey There Sergeant Carter and Hey there Andy has passed away.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

As this is a roadgeek site, let us not forget "Citizens Arrest, Citizen's Arrest!"
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

Quote from: roadman on December 01, 2017, 02:31:21 PM
As this is a roadgeek site, let us not forget "Citizens Arrest, Citizen's Arrest!"
Running down the street of fictional Mayberry modeled after Mount Airy, NC.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman

Quote from: roadman65 on December 01, 2017, 02:34:19 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 01, 2017, 02:31:21 PM
Running down the street of fictional Mayberry modeled after Mount Airy, NC.
Except that the fictional Mayberry was supposedly located between Greensboro and Asheboro.  Mount Airy was represented in the show by Mount Pilot, which was an amalgamation of the town names Mount Airy and Pilot Mountain.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Is this a bad time to tell the Gomer Pyle joke?  :-D
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

allniter89

Quote from: cl94 on December 01, 2017, 07:44:28 PM
Is this a bad time to tell the Gomer Pyle joke?  :-D
There's never a bad time to tell a GP joke. Please make me smile on this dark dark day of my life  :-( :-(
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

wanderer2575

Jim Nabors was the first guest star on the Carol Burnett Show.  With the show's success, Carol considered Jim the show's good luck charm.  So she had him as the guest on the first episode of every season (eleven years).

cjk374

Have you ever heard him sing? Definitely not what you would expect from "Gomer Pyle, USMC".
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

02 Park Ave

He sang Back Home Again in Indiana before the 500 mile race for years, maybe even decades.
C-o-H

roadman65

Quote from: cjk374 on December 02, 2017, 07:43:54 AM
Have you ever heard him sing? Definitely not what you would expect from "Gomer Pyle, USMC".
He sang on the Andy Griffith Show the famous song Santa Lucia and not like the geek he was.

I also found out that Burt Reynolds was his good friend as he gave a speech about knowing him to the press.  Both appeared in Cannonball Run and in The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas Together.   

He also appeared in the Saturday Cartoon's of the seventies but in a real show called The Lost Saucer with Ruth Buzzi produced by Sid and Marty Croff, the same producers of Land of the Lost and Puff In Stuff.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cjk374 on December 02, 2017, 07:43:54 AM

He always sung "Back Home in Indiana"  before the start of the Indianapolis 500.  Really his rendition was what made the song notable and one of the reasons to turn on the pre-race ceremonies. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.