News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Favorite crew to call NFL football games

Started by cjk374, January 07, 2018, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is your favorite play-by-play color commentators for NFL games

Joe Buck/Troy Aikman
Jim Nantz/Tony Romo
Pat Summerall/JohnMadden
Al Michaels/Chris Collinsworth
Frank Gifford/Howard Cosell/"Dandy" Don Meridith
Others (add in thread)

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MNHighwayMan

Out of all the crews that are currently calling games, Nantz/Romo is clearly the best one, but I don't think you can really compare them to Summerall/Madden back in the day.

triplemultiplex

I was never a Madden fan.  He did not have a good voice to be a broadcaster.  (And a face for radio.)
Pat Sommerall though; he was great. 

Romo is the first new broadcaster to impress me in a long time.  He's a way better commentator than he was a quarterback.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2018, 03:46:57 AM
Out of all the crews that are currently calling games, Nantz/Romo is clearly the best one, but I don't think you can really compare them to Summerall/Madden back in the day.

Agree 100%.  Also including Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen, and the Michaels/Gifford/Dierdorf version of MNF; I'm a little too young to remember Curt Gowdy. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cjk374

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 13, 2018, 05:37:25 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 08, 2018, 03:46:57 AM

Agree 100%.  Also including Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen, and the Michaels/Gifford/Dierdorf version of MNF; I'm a little too young to remember Curt Gowdy. 

I hate I forgot Enberg/Olsen & Michaels/Gifford/Dierdorf. They both did great jobs calling games.

CtrlAltDel

To be honest, I don't like anyone calling the games. It's just inane chitchat, in my view. If all the commentators  just went away, I think the experience of watching the games on tv would improve immensely. Clearly, though, I am in the minority.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Buck87

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2018, 08:16:34 PM
To be honest, I don't like anyone calling the games. It's just inane chitchat, in my view. If all the commentators  just went away, I think the experience of watching the games on tv would improve immensely. Clearly, though, I am in the minority.

NBC actually tried that once:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Announcerless_Game

csw

I'm a fan of Gumbel/Dierdorf, also Ian Eagle and Nantz/Romo. Generally CBS has the best broadcast teams.

ET21

CBS main team of Nantz and Romo. No to Fox, and I can deal with NBC for the Super Bowl
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thenetwork

Don Criqui was a good announcer on NBC.  He was first paired up with John Brodie and then someone else.  His style and voice were like that of Dick Enberg.  Curt Gowdy was another great voice.

And yes.  Joe Buck is one of the most annoying play-by-play announcers ever.  I'd take Howard Cosell or Marv Albert over him any day.

SSOWorld

Now, if Phil Simms were to replace Romo for some reason...

What say you?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

74/171FAN

Well I have always been neutral on Joe Buck.  I will admit that he was showing emotion on the Diggs TD at the end yesterday.

CBS bringing in Romo was a slam dunk IMO.  Phil Simms made me dread watching any games on CBS.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Buck87 on January 14, 2018, 08:24:33 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 14, 2018, 08:16:34 PM

NBC actually tried that once:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Announcerless_Game

That was a very interesting article. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. It appears that the general reason it hasn't caught on is the contextualization that the announcers bring. I hadn't thought about that.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

RoadWarrior56

I will take anybody but Chris Collingsworth

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thenetwork on January 15, 2018, 11:29:08 AM
Don Criqui was a good announcer on NBC.  He was first paired up with John Brodie and then someone else.  His style and voice were like that of Dick Enberg. 

That someone else was Bob Trumpy.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

dvferyance

I like Jerry Glanville after all he is they guy who traded away Brett Favre.

jeffandnicole

Romo, for being an average quarterback at best, and hated by much of the country when he was a quarterback, is surprising a very good announcer.  His stock went way up this year for the way he has been calling and analyzing games.

If anything, I prefer the pre-game show on Fox.  The commentators there have fun.  It's loose.  It's scripted in such a way that it's obvious they informed the graphics teams their game picks and such, but non-scripted in that they can have banter between each other without everyone. looking. at. the. camera. as. if. they. are. talking. to. us.

CBS's pregame show on the other hand is much too rigid.  It's football.  I already have a beer in hand.  Relax!

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 17, 2018, 02:44:57 PM
Romo, for being an average quarterback at best, and hated by much of the country when he was a quarterback, is surprising a very good announcer.  His stock went way up this year for the way he has been calling and analyzing games.

If anything, I prefer the pre-game show on Fox.  The commentators there have fun.  It's loose.  It's scripted in such a way that it's obvious they informed the graphics teams their game picks and such, but non-scripted in that they can have banter between each other without everyone. looking. at. the. camera. as. if. they. are. talking. to. us.

CBS's pregame show on the other hand is much too rigid.  It's football.  I already have a beer in hand.  Relax!

I also agree that Romo was a pleasant surprise this year. 

As for pre-game, I'll usually flip back and forth, depending on the segments and if it's a person/team I care that much about.  I'll usually watch more of CBS, just because they seem to be a little more AFC oriented, and FOX seems a little more NFC oriented (which makes sense given the networks mostly cover those conferences), and my team (Steelers) are in the AFC.

I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadgeekteen

and hated by much of the country when he was a quarterback
Not reddit. Reddit loved and still loves him.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MNHighwayMan

Can't say that I've ever seriously watched a pre-game or post-game show. I'm usually doing something else in that time.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 17, 2018, 06:34:52 PM
and hated by much of the country when he was a quarterback
Not reddit. Reddit loved and still loves him.

:rofl: You haven't been on reddit very long then.

cjk374

Jay Cutler was supposed to do play-by-play on FOX before he decided to "bail" Miami out of their QB shortage. Does he seem like he would do a good job? I'm skeptical.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cjk374 on January 18, 2018, 05:24:54 PM
Jay Cutler was supposed to do play-by-play on FOX before he decided to "bail" Miami out of their QB shortage. Does he seem like he would do a good job? I'm skeptical.
Jay, what do you think of the play?
Jay Cutler: Don't care.

Henry

When I was following da Bears during their glory years of the 80s, the CBS duo of Summerall and Madden were the team to watch (they later moved to FOX when it took the NFC package away from CBS). Today, the closest thing to that is Nantz and Romo, the main voices of CBS' AFC package. I try to avoid FOX as much as I can for two reasons: Joe Buck's atrocious announcing, and the fact that they keep playing the NFL theme on their baseball telecasts (what was wrong to the old theme? It was miles better than the current out-of-place song, though I like the marching-band variants for their college telecasts).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.