News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

BGS shield background squares outside of NJ

Started by Roadsguy, January 10, 2018, 11:06:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

It almost seems like PennDOT had NJDOT make this sign in Lancaster, as well as this other one down the road (but strangely not the other direction's signs on that gantry).

Any other non-NJ uses of shield background squares like this around the country?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

I-15 in Pleasant Grove, Utah.

When that BGS was first put up, it wasn’t a state highway. When it became one, they just took some regular standalone shields and stuck them up on the BGS.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

csw

I see a few of these every once in a while around Indiana, here's an example off the top of my head:

https://goo.gl/maps/HDvkhQ6Ewvx

Note the button copy and awful kerning, too.

Scott5114

Oklahoma is so woefully inconsistent that this practice cropped up from time to time when it used the circle shields.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2018, 09:05:01 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 04:51:03 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 10, 2018, 04:43:35 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2018, 01:40:39 PM

The image doesn't seem to work, so here's a direct link to it:
http://www.nysroads.com/photos.php?route=i787&state=NY&file=100_9095.JPG

The www. was missing.

www shouldn't matter.  It worked fine when I posted it, so I don't know what 1&1 did to break it.
Oddly enough, it works on my phone but not on my computer.

SM-G900V

(They/Them)

Revive 755

IIRC Illinois used to have a few Business Loop 55 shields in white squares.  Think it was for the Sherman Exit (105).

plain

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 10, 2018, 09:37:56 PM

The www. was missing.

www shouldn't matter.  It worked fine when I posted it, so I don't know what 1&1 did to break it.

SM-G900V

Works fine on my phone too (not at home to try the computer)
Newark born, Richmond bred

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 01:25:40 PM
Iowa:  White background for county pentagon

Actually, as recently as late 2015/early 2016 Iowa's new installs are going to the yellow background, as well. This picture's from February 26, 2016 on I-35 NB.

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on January 10, 2018, 09:37:56 PM

The www. was missing.

My link worked on my preview as well, and now it doesn't work on the same computer.

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2018, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 01:25:40 PM
Iowa:  White background for county pentagon

Actually, as recently as late 2015/early 2016 Iowa's new installs are going to the yellow background, as well. This picture's from February 26, 2016 on I-35 NB.

Thank you.  I knew they were out there, but I couldn't find an example to link to.
Male pronouns, please.

PHLBOS

For roughly a decade (late 80s-early 90s), MA used black background square US shields on its BGS'

From AARoads.com
These BGS' have since been replaced & the US 20 shields no longer have the black background squares.

From Alpsroads.net
This BGS on the right w/the US 1 shield w/the black background square dates back to 1986 was just recently replaced within a year or so ago.  The "top-hat" I-95 South BGS dates back to the mid-1990s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MNHighwayMan

This unusual sign is on US-71 SB at US-10 in Wadena (The NB one is like this too). I had never seen this before in Minnesota.

Michael

There's two I'm aware of in New York.  The first one is in Baldwinsville, and the other one is in Binghamton.  As a kid, I never thought of the one in Baldwinsville as weird even though it was the only one I'd ever seen until seeing the one in Binghamton in 2011.

While getting the links for this post, I noticed that if I zoom in as close as possible to the NY 17 shield, it looks farther away from the BGS than normal.  I wonder if there's an I-86 shield underneath it.

plain

I know this sign has been posted by others on other threads but I think it has some legitness (idk how I came up with that non-word lmao) here. It's on VA 144 on a white sign instead of a BGS

https://goo.gl/maps/yMk8MtDgAtq
Newark born, Richmond bred

Roadsguy

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 11, 2018, 04:57:28 PM
For roughly a decade (late 80s-early 90s), MA used black background square US shields on its BGS'

But did they use black background squares on their state route shields? :sombrero:
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 13, 2018, 11:22:26 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 11, 2018, 04:57:28 PM

But did they use black background squares on their state route shields? :sombrero:
Funny that you would say such.  Although this isn't on a BGS; this MA 148 shield on this LGS looks like it could be from CT.  The surrounding LGS' and reassurance markers at this intersection are similar.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

bzakharin

Oddly enough newer NJDOT installations seem to be phasing this practice out, though it's happening very slowly.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on January 16, 2018, 03:54:57 PM
Oddly enough newer NJDOT installations seem to be phasing this practice out, though it's happening very slowly.
Blame FHWA/MUTCD's supposed crackdown on all states (not just NJ) deviating from their standards for the design changes (to more MUTCD-compliant) on newer installations.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

formulanone

Depends if you call this a BGS or not...it's in Michigan, not North Carolina:

Florida uses yellow backgrounds county routes, sometimes white backgrounds (they seem to be older installs):

Florida seems to also occasionally New Jers-ify US Shields:

Here's one in Pittsburgh:

This one was at the Indiana/Ohio state line, but I think it's on the Indiana side:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.