Those of you who live in the Philadelphia area

Started by traffic light guy, February 21, 2018, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

Please capture pictures of obsolete traffic signal equipment in SE-PA before they get replaced, I can't go to specific intersections, since I'm a bit too young and I have to follow rules and regulations.

I request the following intersections:

Bristol Oxford Valley Road/Bath Road in Bristol Township (In danger of being replaced)
Mill Creek Road/Edgley Road in Bristol Township (In danger of being replaced)
Coshohonken State Road/Rock Hill Road in Lower Merion Township
East Levering Road/Belmont Avenue in Lower Merion Township

All of these intersections have old 12" Flatback doghouses, and I need pictures before they get replaced, they're the last known sets in the state that have Vietnam War era 12" Flatback doghouses. Please, I have a difficult enough time getting these pictures as it is. Full clear shots of the full intersection, (Doghouses must be included), I will give credit to whoever sends these, and I will add the images to my Flickr, as I have consent from the photographer. Shots of every signal head found in these intersections would be nice too.

Signal

Chill out, man. There is much more interesting stuff in your area to see besides those average flatbacks, I have hundreds of pictures. It's mostly small stuff hidden on the back roads, you just have to look for it. But no, please do not post these on your Flickr account, I retain the rights to my own photos. A few examples:

These are the oldest signals by far that you will find around you. The first one is an SSC from the 1930s; the second one is a Crouse-Hinds type T from the 1920s, hanging inside a parking garage downtown

And considering how much you like the Eagles, I'm surprised you haven't found these yet, they're right by you. These are extremely rare, first-generation 12"  Eagles from the early 1950s. This model was a prototype, the first 12"  signal Eagle ever made, and was changed shortly after to the more common flatback model. They sort of resemble boring McCains, but note the eagle logo on the bottom right corner of the door. This is actually the only one I know of still in existence, you should go take a look at it for sure.

Not far away there is also this Eaglelux signal with a rare Adler bar lens, one of maybe 3 or 4 left in service in the country.

traffic light guy

Quote from: Signal on February 23, 2018, 12:11:19 AM
Chill out, man. There is much more interesting stuff in your area to see besides those average flatbacks, I have hundreds of pictures. It's mostly small stuff hidden on the back roads, you just have to look for it. But no, please do not post these on your Flickr account, I retain the rights to my own photos. A few examples:

These are the oldest signals by far that you will find around you. The first one is an SSC from the 1930s; the second one is a Crouse-Hinds type T from the 1920s, hanging inside a parking garage downtown

And considering how much you like the Eagles, I'm surprised you haven't found these yet, they're right by you. These are extremely rare, first-generation 12"  Eagles from the early 1950s. This model was a prototype, the first 12"  signal Eagle ever made, and was changed shortly after to the more common flatback model. They sort of resemble boring McCains, but note the eagle logo on the bottom right corner of the door. This is actually the only one I know of still in existence, you should go take a look at it for sure.

Not far away there is also this Eaglelux signal with a rare Adler bar lens, one of maybe 3 or 4 left in service in the country.

In the Philadelphia area, flatbacks are the only old signals left, as far as I know. And I'm talking within a fifteen mile radius. If not that, then Crouse-Hinds Type M or R signals

traffic light guy

What makes those paticular setups so special, is the fact that they have the first doghouses to ever be installed in the state. Like I've mentioned several times

traffic light guy

Chill out, man. There is much more interesting stuff in your area to see besides those average flatbacks, I have hundreds of pictures. It’s mostly small stuff hidden on the back roads, you just have to look for it. But no, please do not post these on your Flickr account, I retain the rights to my own photos. A few examples:

And considering how much you like the Eagles, I’m surprised you haven’t found these yet, they’re right by you. These are extremely rare, first-generation 12” Eagles from the early 1950s. This model was a prototype, the first 12” signal Eagle ever made, and was changed shortly after to the more common flatback model. They sort of resemble boring McCains, but note the eagle logo on the bottom right corner of the door. This is actually the only one I know of still in existence, you should go take a look at it for sure.

Forget what I said, those are some kick-ass traffic signals, they put my 70s-era flatback doghouses to shame. You know I follow you on Flickr

busman_49

Buck87

Yeah, did they take a 4 way stop flasher and add to it, or what?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I retain the rights to my own photos.
I would suggest the use of a light watermarking before posting -- in the case of that statement.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

traffic light guy

You guys don't need to worry about signal scouting, I already made specail arrangements to take pictures of old signals by myself.

Kasey

Where are all of these?
Crazy person who owns a bunch of traffic lights

webny99

I'm not from the Philadelphia area, but these signals down by the Philadelphia Navy Yard have to be some of the oldest I've ever seen. How long has it even been since this type of signal was standard?

Kasey

Quote from: webny99 on April 15, 2021, 05:42:55 PM
I'm not from the Philadelphia area, but these signals down by the Philadelphia Navy Yard have to be some of the oldest I've ever seen. How long has it even been since this type of signal was standard?

Those are Crouse Hinds Type DT's, most likely from the 50's.
Crazy person who owns a bunch of traffic lights

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.