News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What Portions of the Interstate System are Open to Bicycles?

Started by Avalanchez71, March 13, 2018, 04:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

So what portions of the Interstate system are open to bicycle and/or pedestrian traffic?  I assume I-40 in the Texas Panhandle and maybe I-10 in parts of CA, TX and AZ.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on March 13, 2018, 04:39:59 PM
So what portions of the Interstate system are open to bicycle and/or pedestrian traffic?  I assume I-40 in the Texas Panhandle and maybe I-10 in parts of CA, TX and AZ.

Most of Arizona's rural Interstates are open to bicycles, with the exception of I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson, where cyclists must go via Florence instead using SR 87 (or Hunt Highway), SR 79, and SR 77.

froggie

Max Rockatansky

I-17 has pretty specific signage when bikes are allowed to enter and when they need to exit.  The climb from Black Canyon City north to AZ 69 is a pretty notable example.  Why do I get the feeling that Bike Hazard guy is going to pop up now?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SectorZ

Quote from: NE2 on March 15, 2018, 04:21:37 PM
A whole shitload out west.

And absolutely nothing in the east, despite the fact that some could be and in certain poor access cases should be.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: SectorZ on March 15, 2018, 06:01:05 PM

And absolutely nothing in the east, despite the fact that some could be and in certain poor access cases should be.
Most major river crossings that are part of the system have a pedestrian/bicycle walkway.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

nexus73

Here's what happens to bike riders on the freeway...LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6-yVoJTCo8

Amazing to see a customized 1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III get hooned so hard.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

mgk920

The I-79 Ohio River Bridge (near Pittsburgh, PA) allows bicycles on the freeway's main roadways.

Mike

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 15, 2018, 06:39:35 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on March 15, 2018, 06:01:05 PM

Most major river crossings that are part of the system have a pedestrian/bicycle walkway.

True, but I think the OP was seeking more where it's legal to tool down the breakdown lane of the interstate.

Kniwt

I-72 (US 36, MSR 110) crossing the Mississippi River between Illinois and Missouri: The shoulders (no sidewalk/path) are open to the first exit on each side of the river (photos taken July 2017):

mapman1071

ADOT has a formal written policy see:

ADOT Traffic Engineering Policies, Guidelines, and Procedures Section 1000 — Miscellaneous, 1030 CONTROLLED-ACCESS HIGHWAYS AS BIKEWAYS

"bicycles are permitted by law to operate on all State highways, including controlled-access highways, except where excluded by administrative regulation and the posting of signs to give notice of a prohibition" . Which then goes on to list specifically where the prohibitions are, what are generally speaking the urbanized areas. For example the restriction on I-10 is from MP 120.22 (Verrado Way) to MP 270.59 (Kolb Road) – that is the entire Metro Phoenix through Metro Tucson region.

Besides ADOT ("the director" ), I am not aware of any circumstance where any other authority has prohibited bicyclists in Arizona.

Bicycles ok
I-8     Giss Parkway Exit 1 Yuma (No bicycles West of Exit 1) to  Trekel Rd Exit 174 Casa Grande
I-15   Entire Length
I-17   Anthem Way Exit 229 Phoenix to  McConnel Dr Exit 341/End I-17 Flagstaff
I-19   International St Exit 1A/End I-19 Nogales to Duval Mine Rd/Old Bus I-19/US89 Exit 69 Green Valley
I-40   Entire Length (No bicycles West of Exit 1)

US 60 Grand Avenue/Phoenix Wickenberg Highway
I-10 Brenda to Myrtle Avenue Glendale **, 57 Drive Glendale to Thomas Rd/27th Avenue Exit 160 Phoenix
** No Bicycle Exit/Entrance At Bell Road Interchange Surprise, No Bicycles at Glendale Avenue/59th Avenue Underpass Glendale

US 60 Superstition Freeway
Goldfield Road Exit 198 Apache Junction to AZ 79 Exit 212/Freeway End Queen Valley

No Bikes Allowed
AZ 24      Williams Gateway Freeway Mesa   
AZ 51      Piestewa Freeway Phoenix
AZ 143    Hohokam Expressway Phoenix, Tempe
AZ 210    Barraza - Aviation Highway Tucson
Loop 101 Agua Fria Freeway, Pima Freeway, Price Freeway
Tollson, Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria, Scottsdale, Salt River/Pima Reservation, Tempe, Mesa, Chandler

Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway, Santan Freeway, South Mountain Freeway
Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Salt River/Pima Reservation, Gilbert, Chandler, Gila River Reservation

Loop 303 Bob Stump Memorial Parkway
Goodyear, Glendale, Wadell, El Mirage, Surprise, Peoria, Phoenix

US 89

These are the only routes in Utah that bicycles are banned from:

I-15, Exit 2 (SR-7/Southern Parkway) to 16 (SR-9) through St. George
I-15, Exit 57 to 62 in Cedar City
I-15, Exit 222 in Nephi to 362 in Brigham City
I-15, Exit 376 in Elwood to 385 in Riverside
I-80, Exit 113 to 129 in Salt Lake City
I-84, I-15 to Exit 87 (US-89) near Ogden
I-215, full route
SR-154, full route

If you asked me, I wouldn't allow bikes on any urban freeway or expressway, since there are many surface road alternates. I also wouldn't allow bikes on a rural freeway where there's a parallel surface road in decent condition nearby, such as an old alignment of a US Highway that was replaced by the interstate.

There’s really no reason bicycles should ever be on SR-67 or the north half of SR-85, because there are parallel bike trails next to those routes.

EDIT: as Kniwt pointed out, the no-bike zone in St. George has been extended in both directions.

They will be on the New 74 bridge in the Quad Cities just like 72 but in general they are banned along with pedestrians on most Illinois interstates.

Kniwt

Quote from: roadguy2 on March 21, 2018, 07:17:08 PM
I-15, Exit 4 (Brigham Rd) to 10 (Green Spring Dr) in St. George

This was very recently changed when UDOT posted new signs extending the restriction area from Exit 2 (SR 7) to Exit 16 (SR 9), even if the website hasn't been updated yet. It's not really a big deal since there's practically a frontage road, pathway, or nearby alternate the entire way.

Kniwt

In Arizona:
Quote from: mapman1071 on March 21, 2018, 05:58:57 PM
Bicycles ok
I-15   Entire Length

True, but speaking as an experienced cyclist who's been on a bunch of freeways, mostly in the West (including MP 0-8 and 27-29 on Arizona I-15), I would never attempt I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge in either direction unless I had a slow-moving support vehicle directly behind me to protect me (which, of course, isn't allowed).

Most of the shoulder is narrow to nonexistent, the shoulder surface has deteriorated to practically gravel, and there are several substandard crossings of the Virgin River with no shoulder at all. (The recently rebuilt Bridge 6 has a nice shoulder, but that's about it.) Oh, and everyone drives through the gorge like a freakin' maniac. :)

Strava reports that at least a few riders have tried it, and I believe I've seen maybe two over the past three years -- and they often appear to be international long-distance tourists who have no idea what they're getting into.

ADOT no doubt keeps I-15 bike-legal because they "have" to; the only alternative is Old US 91 over Utah Hill, which is longer and involves a climb of nearly 3,000 feet northbound (and 1,700 feet southbound).

pianocello

Quote from: 3467 on March 21, 2018, 08:20:42 PM
They will be on the New 74 bridge in the Quad Cities just like 72...

...sort of. With the bridge reconstruction, they're going to add in a pedestrian/bicycle path on the Illinois-bound side, but it will be separated from vehicular traffic by at least a barrier.

I'm pretty sure bicycles are banned on all freeways in Iowa as well.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

inkyatari

Quote from: Kniwt on March 15, 2018, 10:49:06 PM
I-72 (US 36, MSR 110) crossing the Mississippi River between Illinois and Missouri: The shoulders (no sidewalk/path) are open to the first exit on each side of the river (photos taken July 2017):

I know what I'm doing this summer!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

texaskdog

silverback1065

i'm not sure why anyone would want to ride a bike on the interstate, that sounds incredibly scary and dangerous!

inkyatari

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 04, 2018, 12:37:31 PM
i'm not sure why anyone would want to ride a bike on the interstate, that sounds incredibly scary and dangerous!

While I've never ridden my bicycle on an interstate, I can say that I've ridden my bicycle on some two lane local roads that are extremely petrifying.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SectorZ

Quote from: inkyatari on April 04, 2018, 01:53:55 PM

While I've never ridden my bicycle on an interstate, I can say that I've ridden my bicycle on some two lane local roads that are extremely petrifying.

I'd be more worried about the debris and other crud in the breakdown lane than traffic. Having ridden on a few super-twos in New Hampshire, the closest thing I have to an interstate that I can legally ride on, I've never been too concerned about it. I have my head on a swivel at the on/off ramps, but other than that it may likely be safer than many regular roads.

SP Cook

This. 

Other that a very few odd circumstances, such as using a bridge over a major river where there is no reasonable alternative, its seems like a death welcoming idea.

doorknob60

Quote from: SP Cook on April 04, 2018, 03:42:06 PM

This. 

Other that a very few odd circumstances, such as using a bridge over a major river where there is no reasonable alternative, its seems like a death welcoming idea.

I'd rather ride my bike on an interstate with wide shoulders and minimal driveways/cross streets, even with 70+ MPH traffic, than a 2 lane road with narrow or no shoulders, more driveways and cross streets, and 50+ MPH traffic. Most interstates (excluding some urban ones where you probably aren't allowed, and some older bridges) have quite wide shoulders. State or US routes, total crapshoot.

At least if safety is the only consideration. In reality, I'd probably stick to side highways just for it being more scenic and interesting (even though it may be more dangerous in many cases).

mgk920

Remember that the standards of the I-system make for exceedingly safe bicycling on lower traffic routes, such as many of them in the west - looooong sight lines and wide paved right shoulders give plenty of room and visibility.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.