News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Facebook is down today

Started by roadman65, May 06, 2018, 10:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: jakeroot on May 10, 2018, 07:47:03 PM
What the hell is SonicWALL? And who the hell put it on your devices? Are you younger than I thought? :-D

I don't know why everyone is so proud of their abstinence from Facebook. It's a great way to connect with old friends and family. It's had its various security issues over the years, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I doubt Facebook collects anything more than what Google has already collected from you guys. And if you don't use Google, well, I don't know how you get by.
Its not on my device, its in open wifi!  Hooters, the Public Library, and some retailers and restaurants have that in there router built in.

I can get facebook in everyplace but racetrac for some reason.  Racetrac is a convenience store here in Florida and the SE.  They have SonicWALL, I am guessing to keep weirdos from camping in their parking lot and logging onto I guess naughty websites or something.

I own my own computer and believe me I do not put blocks on them other than the crap that comes with the computer and even then I take it out if it interferes with its operation.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 11, 2018, 04:21:12 AM
I don't want to be friends with a good number of people on Facebook. It is full of the people who I went to school with, in a rural town of 1200, and I have little to nothing in common with the vast majority of them anymore after moving to the third-largest city in my state. Other than the idle curiosity of "oh, I wonder what so-and-so turned out to be like" there's not much value in it for me.

The only reason I have a Facebook account is because one is required to run a business page. A fun bonus is being able to more easily share stuff with friends that I see daily, and seeing updates from roadgeeks. But I didn't even have one until 2015 or so.
I hate hearing others politics as well.  When on FB you hear constantly how good Trump or Obama are.  How bad the other candidate is, or how McCain hates Trump and banned him from his funeral, etc. 

Then I get unwanted replies like from one user on here who is Agnostic, and argues with me talking to some of my close friends about my faith.  Thankfully he defriended me, and so did another user on here who does not like the fact I hated his choice for one political office and won't tolerate the behavior of a college buddy of his who pisses people off on the internet.

So yes its a challenge, but all the good stuff on there can make up for the trolls and the unwanted political posts.  Even me who cares no more about politics and does not even know who is in Trumps cabinet (nor care) still will put up with others rant for the good things that are on there like communicating with friends and such.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

I signed up for Facebook several years ago to join a political group working to re-elect Kentucky's governor. At the time, I thought you had to have an .edu email address and was surprised to know it had been opened up to everyone. I promptly forgot about being a member until a couple of years later, when I went to sign up and was surprised to find that I already had an account.

I used Facebook to set up a work Page, but at a later date we were advised not to use our personal accounts to administer our work Pages. This was done mainly for continuity; in case something happens to us, others can access the Page. So I created another account but just set it up to be a Page administrator and have not friended anyone, nor will I. I use it as my login on my work devices so I can do Page updates manually, but on the computer it's just easier to have it linked to my original personal account. (Now they don't seem to care which personal account we use to manage a Page as long as some other people have the keys to it, and it's easier to post an update from the computer with the normal account, rather than logging out and logging back in as my work persona.)

I'm friends with a lot of people from my hometown, classmates, etc., but I don't really have a lot of personal interaction with them. I don't work in the same town where I live, and unless I stop at a store or the post office, I generally go home after work and don't get out much. I've been to one high school class reunion (my 10th reunion, which was the first one we had) but have not been to any others, nor do I plan to go. But I learn about deaths in families, new jobs, and all those types of things that I want to keep up with. I'm also FB friends with a few former girlfriends, which as I understand isn't really very common, but we maintained a cordial relationship and basically just realized it wasn't meant to be.

I use Facebook to keep up with news, as I've liked Pages from a number of local, regional and national news sources.

Quote from: roadman65 on May 11, 2018, 11:22:16 AM
Then I get unwanted replies like from one user on here who is Agnostic, and argues with me talking to some of my close friends about my faith.  Thankfully he defriended me, and so did another user on here who does not like the fact I hated his choice for one political office and won't tolerate the behavior of a college buddy of his who pisses people off on the internet.

I composed a long reply to this, and saved it in case I really want to post it. I'll just say now that I think I know both of those individuals, and both have dropped me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

inkyatari

I've given up facebook for a few weeks so far, and will for longer.  It wasn't doing my depression any good, seeing how successful my friends are. :(
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

hbelkins

Quote from: inkyatari on May 11, 2018, 11:01:41 PM
I've given up facebook for a few weeks so far, and will for longer.  It wasn't doing my depression any good, seeing how successful my friends are. :(

You know they're all lying or exaggerating, right?

jakeroot

I think poor people are actually the worst offenders. We like to spend money on things that we really don't have the money for, because we're so insecure about our lack of income that we need to make it look like we have money. I'm pretty sure that's a 'scientific' fact, by the way.

roadman65

Quote from: jakeroot on May 12, 2018, 09:31:35 PM
I think poor people are actually the worst offenders. We like to spend money on things that we really don't have the money for, because we're so insecure about our lack of income that we need to make it look like we have money. I'm pretty sure that's a 'scientific' fact, by the way.
That is why so many are in debt.  They spend money to make them feel good, and most ends up on plastic or overdrawn from their checking or savings.

John Tesh, did point out on his radio show about how using cash keeps you within your means even if you are a whiz with numbers on your books or check your balance at every purchase.  Because its a thing with your mind, as you see the cash you are more likely to figure how to divie it up better and stretch it all out, which we all do not realize how complicated our minds really are.

Anyway, you are so right hence many people owning phones that are beyond their means ( expensive smart phones over simple phones) especially many lower middle class and poor people.  Same went back in the boom box days.  People who were on food stamps would be rationing their meals but would go all out to have the loud music box.  And it is not ghetto people either as a knew a guy who owned things he could live without, but according to his roommate he would sacrifice his dinner to pay for.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Was talking today at work with one employee and she said she had known two people who were friends for well over 20 years no longer friends due to political posts on Facebook.   

Whoever blames other people (especially their most hated elected official) for the rift in our society that we can no longer be friends due to religious and political beliefs should take a look at Facebook and how it may be the cause of tension in our lives as many of us are annoyed at other posts on the social media that causes flame wars so badly that we have really held on to what we believe so dearly more than we ever had before due to other social factors.

Not to encourage nor discourage anyone from using facebook, but it is something that is worth to mention being a few brought it up here that they stay away due to others postings about whatever.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2018, 10:52:51 PM
Was talking today at work with one employee and she said she had known two people who were friends for well over 20 years no longer friends due to political posts on Facebook.   

Whoever blames other people (especially their most hated elected official) for the rift in our society that we can no longer be friends due to religious and political beliefs should take a look at Facebook and how it may be the cause of tension in our lives as many of us are annoyed at other posts on the social media that causes flame wars so badly that we have really held on to what we believe so dearly more than we ever had before due to other social factors.

Not to encourage nor discourage anyone from using facebook, but it is something that is worth to mention being a few brought it up here that they stay away due to others postings about whatever.

Nail, meet head.

I've had discussions on long car rides with coworkers, on how I think social media, while it was arguably well-intended, is the cause of the unraveling of our society. Good, thought-provoking, orderly debate? Seemingly gone. It's turned into talking points, whining, shouting matches, and close-mindedness. Attention spans? Gone. If you can't get it done in two sentences, people shut down. It's all turning into click bate. Hell, one of the news stations around here regurgitates crap from some other "pinteresty" page - and it's not even on slow news days. Sometimes I wonder, if there is other intelligent life out there, and they're observing us, what is going though their thoughts.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Scott5114

Quote from: roadman65 on May 13, 2018, 10:52:51 PM

It wasn't Facebook that made those two stop being friends. Facebook simply exposed that the two had different, incompatible values. If I were to stop being friends with someone after seeing they were making bigoted Facebook posts, it wouldn't be because of their Facebook posts–it would be because I don't want to be friends with bigots.

Now, there's a potential argument as to whether targeted advertising on Facebook (especially Russian-placed advertising) played a part in the formation of someone's beliefs, and what responsibility Facebook as a platform had for those messages. But whether they originally got the idea from reading Facebook, their mom, their pastor, or the back of a cheese wrapper–if their moral values are fundamentally different than mine, it's probably not a good idea for us to be friends.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

There is absolutely nothing I could have read on Facebook that would have caused me to change my opinion of the Democrat presidential nominee. I formed an opinion of her long before I ever heard of Facebook.

Also, keep in mind that the Russians weren't trying to prop up the Trump candidacy on Facebook. They were generally trying to forment discord on all sides, as evidenced by promoting anti-Trump demonstrations after he was elected.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2018, 10:22:00 AM
Also, keep in mind that the Russians weren't trying to prop up the Trump candidacy on Facebook. They were generally trying to forment discord on all sides

Generally, I adopt a neutral standpoint on issues like this. But I do feel obligated to point out that this is impossible to prove.

jeffandnicole

I'm going with another angle on this.

Because of everyone's desire to instantly communicate with others, if they have a problem logging in, they never see it as a personal issue.  If they can't log in, they think EVERYONE can't log in.  I've seen this on other forums as well.  When people come back saying they're not having any issues, the person with the issue still doesn't believe it, and seemingly believes that they are missing out on everything. 

People on forum sites like Flyertalk tend to be crazy like this, if they can't log into Marriott's website or Delta's website.  Then they instantly blame the company's IT department, because apparently everyone on the forum is smarter than those working at these billion dollar company. 

Rothman

There is absolutely nothing I could have read on Facebook that would have caused me to change my opinion of the Democrat presidential nominee. I formed an opinion of her long before I ever heard of Facebook.

Also, keep in mind that the Russians weren't trying to prop up the Trump candidacy on Facebook. They were generally trying to forment discord on all sides, as evidenced by promoting anti-Trump demonstrations after he was elected.
*citation needed that anti-Trump protests were stirred up by Russians*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on May 14, 2018, 01:48:46 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/russians-organized-pro-anti-trump-rallies-to-sow-discord-2018-2

http://fortune.com/2018/02/17/russian-organized-rallies-election-meddling/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/16/indictment-reveals-russians-also-organized-anti-trump-rallies-after-election.html

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2018, 02:42:04 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 14, 2018, 01:48:46 PM

http://www.businessinsider.com/russians-organized-pro-anti-trump-rallies-to-sow-discord-2018-2

http://fortune.com/2018/02/17/russian-organized-rallies-election-meddling/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/16/indictment-reveals-russians-also-organized-anti-trump-rallies-after-election.html

Wow.  So, everyone should be interested in the Russian mischief in toying with our elections and public opinion.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 10, 2018, 11:48:23 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 10, 2018, 07:47:03 PM
I don't know why everyone is so proud of their abstinence from Facebook. It's a great way to connect with old friends and family.

About the only thing it does for me is remind me why I chose not to stay connected with them in other ways beforehand.

I've certainly had this happen, but I've had far more instances of reconnecting with people I was glad to reconnect with.

US71

We seem to be drifting into the realm of political opinions.  I think it's time to close this discussion.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.