News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Double decking I-35 between SAT and AUS

Started by longhorn, May 08, 2018, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

It's currently being worked on.  I forget if this is the second or third time major repairs have been done.  The first time was before the road was opened.  It may not be fixable without a complete rebuild.  As for the curves, they look severe on a map, but they're drawn out.  I didn't find it at all challenging driving through at the speed limit, although I was there only once, in daylight and good weather.  A straighter alignment would be nice, and cheaper since they charge the tolls by the mile, but I don't think the curves are a problem.

I don't know about the new concessionaire's finances.  As long as they're making a little bit of money, or expect to in the foreseeable future, getting a little bit is better than walking away and getting nothing.  Since they're already paying for the repairs, they may as well hold on to the revenue stream and hope it gets better, at least until more repairs are needed.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

thisdj78

Count me as another proponent of moving I-35 to 130 and make it free. It could be easily expanded to 8 lanes if needed without much ROW acquisition vs the current corridor. If they want to retain toll revenues, they can convert the inner lanes of current I-35 to Managed lanes (like Mopac) from San Antonio to Austin.

texaskdog

Quote from: thisdj78 on May 10, 2018, 11:33:53 PM
Count me as another proponent of moving I-35 to 130 and make it free. It could be easily expanded to 8 lanes if needed without much ROW acquisition vs the current corridor. If they want to retain toll revenues, they can convert the inner lanes of current I-35 to Managed lanes (like Mopac) from San Antonio to Austin.

Human nature, move I-35 and many will just take I-35.  Traffic is only getting worse in Austin.  Of course we'll never see my idea of extending I-37 north from San Antonio to Wichita Falls which would be a faster alternative from OKC to SA and free up traffic in Fort Worth & Austin some.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 10, 2018, 05:04:39 PM
Quote from: RothmanWhat other Manfred Mann song is there that anyone knows?

"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" was mentioned (from the first incarnation of the Manfred Mann band). I liked one tune Manfred Mann's Earth Band did in the 1980's, called "Runner". It was released in time for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. It reached the top 40 and was the band's first hit since "Blinded By the Light."

The Mighty Quinn.  There seems to be a pattern whereby Manfred Mann sings songs written by better-known artists.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

texaskdog

Quote from: rte66man on May 12, 2018, 04:20:21 PM

"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" was mentioned (from the first incarnation of the Manfred Mann band). I liked one tune Manfred Mann's Earth Band did in the 1980's, called "Runner". It was released in time for the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles. It reached the top 40 and was the band's first hit since "Blinded By the Light."

The Mighty Quinn.  There seems to be a pattern whereby Manfred Mann sings songs written by better-known artists.

He did TWO Springsteen songs, must have been on a Springsteen kick then

michravera

Quote from: texaskdog on May 14, 2018, 08:13:17 AM
Quote from: rte66man on May 12, 2018, 04:20:21 PM

He did TWO Springsteen songs, must have been on a Springsteen kick then

Which two? "Blinded by the Light", "Spirits in the Night", or "For You"?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.