News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-94 Exit 235B in Minneapolis

Started by bugo, June 03, 2018, 08:54:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Exit 235B (Huron Blvd) off I-94 in Minneapolis is a huge interchange that connects to a road that dead ends a mile or two later. Why such an overpowered interchange for such a minor street?

abefroman329

Probably intended to connect to a later-cancelled expressway.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's one of the main access points to the University of Minnesota.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

froggie

It's *THE* main access point to the University from I-94.

Regarding what abe said, that was not the intention.  There was no cancelled expressway proposal at this location.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadguy

The exit was built as such not for a freeway but based on the fact it:
1.) Serves the University
2.) The Mississippi River was immediately to the west making a standard diamond cost and logistically prohibitive.
3.) The 27th Ave and more of a hindrance the railroad bridge made a standard diamond cost and logistically prohibitive

When it was built, Huron Blvd did not connect to University Ave so the exit ended at Fulton and drivers had to proceed west from there:
http://geo.lib.umn.edu/Hennepin_County/y1969/WN-1KK-149.jpg

GeekJedi

"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.