News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

People who loudly go "ahh!" after taking a drink

Started by bandit957, July 07, 2018, 08:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Ever hear people do this? I'm talking about when people make a loud sigh of refreshment after they take a sip of a beverage.

There was an episode of 'Seinfeld' in which Elaine talked about how she had a college classmate who did this. The song "Throwing It All Away" by Genesis seems to have this same sound repeated near the end.

In high school, every time I got a drink of water at the drinking fountain, I did this as loud as possible to disturb all the classes.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

slorydn1

I used to do this to irritate my mom.....about 40+ years ago, lol.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

cjk374

I do it if I am hotter than hell & it is the first cold drink of water had in forever.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

I might do that after I take a leak, but not after I take a drink.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sparker

I find it moderately annoying; got a couple of friends who tend to do that -- at least after taking the first sip of the first glass of whatever.  But definitely not a "dealbreaker" in terms of companionship -- my normal reaction is simply a momentary clenching of teeth! 

WR of USA

I just did this a few minutes ago after drinking a cold water after a 4 mile hike.
Traffic? No problem, enjoy the scenery!

Long live the lovely Sagamore and Bourne bridges and their welcoming traffic bottlenecks for the tourists!

hbelkins

This is something that I've actually been known to do, especially if I am alone and I've taken a big drink of a cold beverage when it's hot outside or I've been working up a sweat.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

When I was a child Tasters Choice Coffee had the announcer do an "ahh" to promote the taste.  I kind of copied that to this day.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bandit957

Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:29:48 PM
When I was a child Tasters Choice Coffee had the announcer do an "ahh" to promote the taste.  I kind of copied that to this day.

I vaguely remember an iced tea commersh that did this.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

index

My father enjoys doing this for the sole purpose of being obnoxious.

When he eats food, he makes really dramatic expressions (closes his eyes and squeezes them closed, as people do in commercials, makes chewing noises) to be annoying/obnoxious as well. My mother yells at him a lot for it.  :pan:    
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

roadman65

Quote from: bandit957 on July 08, 2018, 10:37:14 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 08, 2018, 10:29:48 PM

I vaguely remember an iced tea commersh that did this.
I believe that was a brand called 4C.  It was a no frills brand that used a common name brand, but for less money as there were no advertising costs being the brand name is left out. 

4C was the beginning of that no frills era in an effort to curb inflation during the 1980's.  Remember someone tried to make a non brand name cigarette that was somewhat cheaper a pack back when tobacco was cheap!  When I say cheap was when we all balked that $1.50 was too high for a pack of smokes compared to the now 6 or 7 bucks they sell em for now.

Sheryl Crowe

index

Quote from: Brian556 on July 08, 2018, 07:50:44 PM
Its annoying how women always bitch when you do stuff like this. There is nothing wrong with it, any it doesn't hurt anyone. My mom would always bitch if I went "uhhhhhh" when pooping. She could hear that all the way across the house, but somehow couldn't hear you talking to her from 6 feet away

You ever hear of misophonia? Tiny noises like this have the tendency to make sufferers of the disease react quite adversely. I have it and the main things that get to me are whispering and chewing/crunching/slurping. It makes me want to pull my hair out, and I have done that before. It's not fun to have. A lot of sufferers of it are worse off, and have reactions to pretty much every noise you could consider minor, like drinks pouring, ice clinking, water dripping, and everything of that ilk.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

webny99

It is necessary to exhale after taking a large sip of a beverage. Generally speaking, accompanying noises can be inserted at will.

plain

Quote from: bandit957 on July 07, 2018, 08:08:50 PM
The song "Throwing It All Away" by Genesis seems to have this same sound repeated near the end.

Also can be heard a few times on "Is This The End?" by New Edition. It actually makes the song even more annoying than it already is.
Newark born, Richmond bred

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on July 10, 2018, 10:49:41 PM
It is necessary to exhale after taking a large sip of a beverage. Generally speaking, accompanying noises can be inserted at will.

Exactly - it's not necessary to make a post-coital sound.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 11, 2018, 08:25:01 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 10, 2018, 10:49:41 PM
Exactly - it's not necessary to make a post-coital sound.

That's why I make during-coitus sounds after taking a drink.

roadman65

I caught myself doing yesterday sipping my Ractrac coffee in the car on way to work.  Did not do it deliberately, so I guess its a habit.

Sheryl Crowe

Beltway

What about people who belch loudly after drinking a soda?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Beltway on July 14, 2018, 02:14:53 PM

I don't know what soda is, but I do belch loudly after drinking pop.

Beltway

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 14, 2018, 02:29:27 PM
Quote from: Beltway on July 14, 2018, 02:14:53 PM
I don't know what soda is, but I do belch loudly after drinking pop.

Soda, pop, tonic ... depending on local usage.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

The longer the sip, the more likely that you will instinctively make the "ahhh" noise.

I know because I've been actively noticing and trying not to do it, and sometimes it happens anyways.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on July 15, 2018, 03:56:44 PM
The longer the sip, the more likely that you will instinctively make the "ahhh" noise.

I know because I've been actively noticing and trying not to do it, and sometimes it happens anyways.

I just read this, thought about this, and now it all makes sense. I'm having a lot of trouble remembering vivid memories where I made an "ahh" sound after drinking something for a very short period of time. On the other hand, almost every time I chug a drink, I do make the sound. I'm theorizing that it is due to the fact that when drinking something for a longer period of time, which means going without breathing, one must take a deep breath, which could be interconnected with the "ahh" sound. For the record, I don't chug drinks just to "chug" them (or perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology) - I only do it when I am very, very thirsty, but that doesn't happen that rarely (I get unusually thirsty all the time, so on average I probably chug a drink at least once every day). Now that I think about it, it seems that when chugging a drink for a long enough time, the "ahh" sound, or something similar (even if more quiet), may actually be inevitable, due to the unstoppable necessity of breathing. I certainly don't make the "ahh" sound on purpose, but I guess I do it a lot when I chug drinks, due to the need to take a big breath after I'm done drinking.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

webny99

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 16, 2018, 05:46:21 PM
I just read this, thought about this, and now it all makes sense. I'm having a lot of trouble remembering vivid memories where I made an "ahh" sound after drinking something for a very short period of time. On the other hand, almost every time I chug a drink, I do make the sound. I'm theorizing that it is due to the fact that when drinking something for a longer period of time, which means going without breathing, one must take a deep breath, which could be interconnected with the "ahh" sound.

Very true. I wonder if a certain temperature/certain volume of liquid just triggers a reaction from one's voice box.
Otherwise, you'd expect it to also happen after you take a deep breath, which... it doesn't... at least it never has in my case!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.