News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite city skylines

Started by golden eagle, May 25, 2010, 10:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

Some posts on this website said Chicago can be seen from Benton Harbor, MI on a really good day...

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1089877

agentsteel53

there is a building on the skyline that gives a distinct diamond-shaped glint.  I've seen that from the western Michigan shore before, even when the skyline in general was tough to discern.  I think it's only about 60 miles on the straight line across Lake Michigan from Benton Harbor.  That isn't a difficult distance at all. 

the building with the diamond-shaped facet is on the right of this photo - not particularly tall; it is to the right of the yellow crane.  When the sun hits it just right, it is the most visible object in the skyline. 

The beaches of northwest Indiana about 10-15 miles west of the Michigan state line are a much easier spot for seeing Chicago - from there I've had no trouble at all.  Indiana Dunes state park gives a very nice view - I think that's about 40 miles.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 06, 2010, 07:01:10 PM
there is a building on the skyline that gives a distinct diamond-shaped glint.  I've seen that from the western Michigan shore before, even when the skyline in general was tough to discern[...]the building with the diamond-shaped facet is on the right of this photo - not particularly tall; it is to the right of the yellow crane.  When the sun hits it just right, it is the most visible object in the skyline. 

That would be the Smurfit-Stone Building.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

golden eagle

I remember being in the Sears Tower (I can't call it Willis, sorry) and my was told that on a clear day, you could see Michigan.

triplemultiplex

Nashville has a handsome skyline.  I recall being impressed the first time I drove through there.  It was night and the twin spires of the AT&T Building were kind of like a crown on a low, yet very dense skyline as we rolled through on I-65.

The traditional good views of Milwaukee are usually from the south while NB on I-43/94 or I-794 or from the lake.  But I better view, I feel, is from North Ave where it curves around a large hill in Kilbourn Park.  The taller buildings in Milwaukee are mostly in the southern and eastern (lake view) sides of downtown and as such, they block the view of shorter buildings behind them.  From North Ave, however, the shorter buildings are in the foreground while the tallest buildings like the US Bank Center, Kilbourn Tower & 100 E Wisconsin loom over them from behind.  It's kind of like having a group photo where you put the tall people in back and the short people in front.

Only down side is you can't see the Art Museum from this angle.  Its unique design is one of the half dozen most recognizable Milwaukee buildings and is conspicuously absent when viewing from the north.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kurumi

Quote from: golden eagle on June 06, 2010, 10:31:00 PM
... in the Sears Tower (I can't call it Willis, sorry) ...

Sure you can.

(Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Brandon

Quote from: kurumi on June 10, 2010, 07:16:06 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on June 06, 2010, 10:31:00 PM
... in the Sears Tower (I can't call it Willis, sorry) ...

Sure you can.

(Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!)

LOL!  :-D

We had him up in Houghton, Michigan for a concert once.  Actually, twice, but the first time the place was raided as a "blind pig" before the concert began.  The second time was a bit more alcohol free.  ;-)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bickendan

I'm very fond of Portland's, especially since the towers in the South Waterfront District have gone up.

Minneapolis also has a good one.

Duke87

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 28, 2010, 04:47:10 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on May 28, 2010, 03:36:48 PM
Can the New York skyline be seen from Connecticut?
Not from I-95, at least from what I remember. And since that's about as close as you can get to it in CT, I'm guessing there probably aren't any other places where you can see it either.

Supposedly, on a clear day you can see the Manhattan skyline from the restaurant on top of Landmark Center here in Stamford (20th floor or so). Though, I've never been up there so I can't vouch for this fact personally.

Since Trump Parc is even taller (34 stories), presumably the upper floors there also offer such a view... but being private apartments nobody's getting a peek unless they live there or know someone who does.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

spimewrangler

Quote from: Duke87 on June 12, 2010, 09:10:22 PM
Quote from: huskeroadgeek on May 28, 2010, 04:47:10 PM
Not from I-95, at least from what I remember. And since that's about as close as you can get to it in CT, I'm guessing there probably aren't any other places where you can see it either.

Supposedly, on a clear day you can see the Manhattan skyline from the restaurant on top of Landmark Center here in Stamford (20th floor or so). Though, I've never been up there so I can't vouch for this fact personally.

Since Trump Parc is even taller (34 stories), presumably the upper floors there also offer such a view... but being private apartments nobody's getting a peek unless they live there or know someone who does.

On a clear day you can see the Manhattan skyline from Greenwich Point, CT at sea level.  Tod's Point park is the best spot to view.  The buildings get cut off due to the curvature of the earth, but still a great and ethereal view:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinmacmillan/5341272553/in/photostream

edit: here's a shot from Connecticut on a cold, clear day, about 25 miles distance:

yanksfan6129

I've heard that you can see the NYC skyline from the a promontory in Pyramid Mountain Park in Montville/Kinnelon, NJ. That's  about 25 miles out. I haven't heard of any place in New Jersey farther out than that you can see it from.

hobsini2

Pre 9/11 you could see the New York Skyline very well from Newark Liberty Airport but with the WTC gone, it is a bit tougher to see. That's how huge a diference there is w/o the WTC.

I like coming into Milwaukee on the Hoan Bridge (I-794). it is a neat small skyline.

As far as Chicago, on a clear day, you can see the Sears Tower from the I-355 SB ramp to NB I-55 on a clear day even though it is 28 miles as the crow flies.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

txstateends

Quote from: BigMattFromTexas on May 28, 2010, 03:10:56 PM
Austin's is growing fast, a lot of it if residential buildings.
I'd like their's better if they had made some-to-most of the buildings near the Capitol shorter so you could see the dome from more than 1 or 2 angles (a-la the US Capitol).
Quote from: BigMattFromTexas
Dallas looks good at night, it's nice in the day too, but there's something about that argon green on Bank of America Plaza, and the white of Reunion Tower.
Have you seen it since the opening of the new Omni Hotel (at the Convention Center)?  LOTS of LED.  And, Reunion is in the process of changing to LEDs too.  Both are shown in this WFAA/8 report:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMF3isw0v_s
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Alps

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on January 20, 2012, 03:49:30 PM
I've heard that you can see the NYC skyline from the a promontory in Pyramid Mountain Park in Montville/Kinnelon, NJ. That's  about 25 miles out. I haven't heard of any place in New Jersey farther out than that you can see it from.
Best viewing was typically on First Mountain (roughly 15 miles out), but you can see it from places on Second Mountain or even farther, such as the Riker Hill Art Park in Livingston (roughly 21-22 miles out).

empirestate

Quote from: bugo on May 25, 2010, 10:22:56 PM
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  Especially at night headed out of the Fort Pitt Tunnel.  An unparalleled view of a city.

For some reason, I've always preferred the view from I-579/Veterans Bridge.

roadman65

New York is still one of the greatest.  It was much nicer looking years ago until that ugly rotten piece of @@@ took down my favorite two buildings ever.  Rot in you know where you bitch!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

realjd

I'm not a fan of New York's skyline. There are two many buildings. It's not very recognizable since its just a mass of tall buildings. Nothing stands out.

empirestate

I won't try to convince you all that New York's is the most spectacular skyline in the world (I've seen several in Asia, for one thing), but I am having a little trouble reconciling the phrases "nothing stands out" and "Empire State Building". :-)

Of course, I think the Chrysler Building deserves more play than it gets. And speaking of which, if you like Deco you oughtn't overlook Tulsa! (Sounds like a snide comment but is actually quite serious.)

broadhurst04

The skylines of Atlanta and Miami are huge relative to the populations of the respective cities (only counting within city limits, not the substantial metro areas). Houston and Atlanta are notable for having virtually two downtown areas within 610 and 285, respectively.

The late Hugh Morton once took a photo from the summit of Grandfather Mountain in which the skyline of Charlotte was visible. Granted, it was 75 miles away and not really detailed, but you could make out the top of the Bank of America building.

I was at the summit of Pilot Mountain once and tried to see if I could make out the skyline of Winston Salem but no luck. Perhaps it was too hazy that day.

Is it true that you can see the Washington Monument from Shenandoah National Park?

Takumi

I saw the W-S skyline from Pilot Mountain about 10 years ago, but it was pretty faint.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

My favorite is certainly Chicago.  And my favorite place to see it from is the Ohio Street beach.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: realjd on January 21, 2012, 11:06:58 PM
I'm not a fan of New York's skyline. There are two many buildings. It's not very recognizable since its just a mass of tall buildings. Nothing stands out.
The Empire State and Chrysler Buildings do.  The World Trade Center did.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on January 22, 2012, 09:58:02 AM
Quote from: realjd on January 21, 2012, 11:06:58 PM
The Empire State and Chrysler Buildings do.  The World Trade Center did.
If you actually knew anything about the city, you'd be able to pick out plenty of buildings in the skyline, even from 15-20 miles out. A lot of historical, early skyscrapers among them, a lot of modern and unique designs as well. The architecture in the City is beyond incredible for anyone interested in that.

xonhulu

Manhattan's skyline is easily the best I've ever seen, thankfully pre-9/11.  It was good that I got that trip in in 2000; I also got to see the Old Man of the Mountain before its demise.

I've never really had a chance to see Chicago's; the only time I've been to the city was a stopover at Midway when I was taking a cross-country red-eye to Baltimore, so not the best viewing at night.

hbelkins

Cincinnati's skyline is the best -- Skyline Chili, that is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.