News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Fall Break W Texas/E NM Road Trip Planning

Started by CoreySamson, September 09, 2023, 01:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Hey y'all! For the first time in my life, I'm planning a big, weeklong road trip for sometime in October with some of my friends. The general area we are planning on visiting is eastern New Mexico and southwestern Texas. So far, the trip is mostly focused around seeing national parks (so far Big Bend, Guadalupe Mountains, Carlsbad, White Sands, and maybe Lincoln National Forest are on the docket). Since the trip is based around seeing those, roads will be a secondary priority.

I was just wondering if there are some interesting road-related things to see and do out in that part of the country. On the way back, we are planning on going along the Route 66 corridor to see some of that route, but there's nothing else we have planned road-wise. Any suggestions?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

oscar

You might consider the Sunspot Highway (NM 6563) in the mountains east of Alamogordo, on the other side of White Sands. The route number is based on the wavelength of a key hydrogen spectral line, studied by solar astronomers such as those working at the observatories at the end of the highway. The highway has signs creating a model of our solar system, showing the relative distance of most of the planets from the sun.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.