News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadgeeks and Weatherfans

Started by Alex, January 18, 2009, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR69

I've been a meteorologist for 25 years, so I guess you could say I like weather.  :D

Bruce

I'm mostly interested in weather just to see if my next outing will be met with sunshine or the typical rain/overcast mix. Helps to know in advance.

J N Winkler

My interest is mainly in "applied weather"--weather where it intersects my other interests:

*  A check of wind speed and direction before a long roadtrip tells me what to expect in terms of fuel economy and aggravation while tracking.  Ambient temperatures also shape my expectations of engine and transmission performance while the car is warming up--the vast majority of modern cars with automatic transmissions have temperature sensors for both engine coolant and transmission fluid, and low temperatures as reported by each sensor trigger distinctive cold operating regimes for both the engine and transmission.

*  Predicted loud cover measures my opportunity for photography without light metering (I go by the rule of 1/125 sec at f/16 and ISO 100) and also my likelihood of finding deep rich saturated blue sky as a backdrop.  I am a zone system purist using a digital P&S camera (which behaves more or less like slide film) and hate blown-out highlights, and even when dense cloud cover diffuses light completely, bracketing exposures on top of varying composition can add a lot of hassle.

*  The story of the Weather Bureau and FCC's no-warning policies with regard to tornadoes appeals to my interests in history and public choice theory.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

epzik8

I like all sorts of weather, and I'm also a fan of The Weather Channel, both past and present. I launched my YouTube channel in the summer of 2008 with a set of Weather Channel "Local on the 8s" videos.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jeffandnicole

Quote from: epzik8 on January 02, 2017, 03:17:45 PM
I like all sorts of weather, and I'm also a fan of The Weather Channel, both past and present. I launched my YouTube channel in the summer of 2008 with a set of Weather Channel "Local on the 8s" videos.

Do you like all the shows and other crap they have on the Weather Channel, taking away from, well, the weather?  That seems to be their downfall.

allniter89

I like most of TWC programming. It got minnotinus <sp :banghead: (you know you've really screwed up spelling when spell check cant figure out what you're trying to spell :spin:) it got very boring when it was weather forcasting 24/7. I'm using Dish satellite & I miss "locals on the 8's" with Dish you see the entire nations weather on animated maps during lot8s.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ET21

I got my meteorology degree and am currently job hunting for that forecasting position. Funny enough, I joined this forum during my 3rd year in school.

Two passions under one board :D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ColossalBlocks

Whenever a thunderstorm rolls through, I like to hop in my truck and chase it until I reach Armorel. Neither keep going past Armorel until I reach the power plant's guard house, where they tell me to go back the way i came. And when a thunderstorm moves north, just hop on I-55 and follow it.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Roadgeekteen

I sorta like weather but I know next to nothing about it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JMoses24

I'm in Eureka, MO currently where it is cloudy and 77. Heading to West Plains to set up for a chase day.

Hurricane Rex

I personally love the weather more than anything else. It is what I'm majoring in at college. Also half of the things I wish for is weatjer related.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.