News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sports fans. What're your teams?

Started by OCGuy81, September 29, 2011, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownpelican

NFL: New Orleans

NBA: San Antonio

MLB: Cleveland

Hockey: Don't do hockey. How many blacks do you know follow hockey?   :crazy:

NCAA Football: My alma mater (Jackson State), but I do a lot of rooting for LSU and Mississippi Statefootball/baseball.

Alps

Quote from: brownpelican on June 16, 2012, 05:11:10 PM

Hockey: Don't do hockey. How many blacks do you know follow hockey?   :crazy:
This guy seems like he's kinda into it:

NYYPhil777

OK, let's keep the ball rolling. Here are mine:

MLB: Life-long New York Yankees fan here. I also like the Atlanta Braves (i might move to Atlanta in about two years).
NFL: New Orleans Saints. I also like the Pittsburgh Steelers.
NBA: I usually don't watch NBA unless its the Finals.
NHL: I don't follow hockey that much.

Happy Roadgeeking,
NYYPhil777 ;-)
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

CentralCAroadgeek

MLB - Giants baby!!!
NFL - Don't care about football.
NBA - LA Lakers, GS Warriors, and the Phoenix Suns
NHL - Though I generally don't watch hockey, I go for the SJ Sharks.

njroadhorse

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on July 30, 2012, 06:59:43 PM
MLB: Life-long New York Yankees fan here. I also like the Atlanta Braves (i might move to Atlanta in about two years).

Well, thankfully this isn't 1995  :-P
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

NYYPhil777

Quote from: njroadhorse on July 31, 2012, 10:36:56 AM

Yep, it's 2012!  :) Then again, as of this post, it's August and the current baseball season is still anybody's game! Though I'm highly doubtful the Cards will repeat this year.

Happy Roadgeeking,
NYYPhil777 ;-)
(from Blazing Saddles)

-NYYPhil777

kendancy66

Do you mean 1996, or 1999?

NYYPhil777

Quote from: kendancy66 on August 03, 2012, 11:01:02 AM

You could say 1996 or 1999. Actually, in 1995, the AL champions were the Cleveland Indians, not the Yankees. The Indians fell to the Braves in 6 games as the Braves got their first World Series in Atlanta, 3 overall as a franchise.
(from Blazing Saddles)

-NYYPhil777

njroadhorse

Quote from: NYYPhil777 on August 03, 2012, 03:41:05 PM
Quote from: kendancy66 on August 03, 2012, 11:01:02 AM

You could say 1996 or 1999. Actually, in 1995, the AL champions were the Cleveland Indians, not the Yankees. The Indians fell to the Braves in 6 games as the Braves got their first World Series in Atlanta, 3 overall as a franchise.

That's right! I had my years switched there.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Roadgeek Adam

I never quite realized I never posted in this thread. Most people know I am not normal when it comes to location of residence vs. teams supported.

MLB: New York Yankees and Mets (nothing wrong with being impartial. Hell, when I went to my last ballgame, which was Mets @ Yankee Stadium 3, I was impartial the entire game. I forget who pitched for the Yanks, but I remember it being Santana for the Mets.) When it comes to the World Series, I will cheer for the opponents of the Rangers, Phillies, Angels and Red Sox. (I got a lot of looks for supporting St. Louis this last year.)

NHL: The Edmonton Oilers, don't have a reason, just do. (It's fun when your favorite team is the worst in the continent and yet your local team is in the Stanley Cup Finals.)

NBA: Don't follow much, but the Knicks all the way.

NFL: Ok, this is where I get the most criticism. I am a diehard New England Patriots fan, which usually gets driven in my face. No I don't have a love obsession over Tom Brady, who I personally think is overrated. I am a big Rob Gronkowski fan though. Starting last year, I've been a fan of the Detroit Lions, this is mainly because I am using their good team to piss off my friend of Detroit who I said would make the playoffs last year.

While those are the 4 mainstay sports, I have been a NASCAR fan for 17 years, and a fan of Jeff Gordon all 17 years. I do cheer on most of Hendrick Motorsports (pardoning Jimmie Johnson).           
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

corco

Heh, I haven't done this either. I tend to pick up teams as I've moved around, so I guess I'll finally get an NFL team wherever I go next.

In order of devotion:
MLB: Seattle Mariners
NCAA: Boise State Broncos
NCAA: Ohio State Buckeyes
NCAA: Wyoming Cowboys
NHL: Colorado Avalanche
NBA: Chicago Bulls

cpzilliacus

MLB (AL): Baltimore Orioles
MLB (NL): Washington Nationals

NFL (NFC): Washington Redskins
NFL (AFC): Baltimore Ravens

NCAA: Maryland Terrapins  Not any longer - I will not support any team in the Big 10 - Maryland won't ever get any more contributions or other support from me. They are supposed to be getting a windfall from the Big 10, so they don't need my money.

NBA: No Preference (the Wizards (f/k/a the Bullets) have been so bad for so long that I have not watched a game in many years)

NHL:  No Preference. I do not care for the small(er)-rink style of hockey that is played in the NHL - consider that the Swedish Elite League rinks are slightly wider and about the same length (60 meters (197 feet) long by 30 meters (98.5 feet) wide) as compared to the NHL's 200 feet long by 85 feet wide, which leads to a faster game with more emphasis on puck handling and less contact (though I realize that many NHL fans enjoy the heavy hitting and the fighting - I don't - that's what football and boxing are for).  Bad teams in the Swedish Elite League also have to face the prospect of getting demoted to the lower-level HockeyAllsvenskan league - an end-of-the season "playout" tournament, consisting of the bottom two Elite League and the top four Hockey/Allsvenskan clubs is held, and the top two teams return to the to Elite League next season, and the other four stay in the lower league.

EDIT:  No longer supporting my alma mater in any way shape or form.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

amroad17

NFL: Washington Redskins

MLB: New York Yankees

NCAA: Syracuse Orange (esp. basketball)

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

ET21

MLB: (AL) Chicago White Sox
        (NL) San Francisco Giants

NBA: (East) Chicago Bulls
        (West) Oklahoma City Thunder

NFL: (NFC) Chicago Bears
        (AFC) Denver Broncos

NHL: (West) Chicago Blackhawks
        (East): Tampa Bay Lightning

MLS: Chicago Fire

NCAA: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
          Northern Illinois Huskies
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

DSS5

College: Ohio State and whoever's playing against Michigan. Muck Fichigan.
Appalachian State and whoever's playing against Georgia Southern. I'm glad this rivalry is being imported to the Sun Belt, although I still strenuously object to the move. We should have just moved to a better FCS conference like the CAA.

Football: The Cleveland Browns and whoever is playing against the Ravens. (yes, I am from Cleveland, get your laughs out of the way now). And the Panthers to a lesser extent.

Baseball: Indians

Basketball: Cavs. Unlike with the Panthers, I've never adopted even a hint of loyalty toward the Bobcats. Similarly, I couldn't conceivably care less about Duke/UNC/Wake/NC State.

Thing 342

College Primary: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
College Secondary: South Carolina Gamecocks

MLB Primary: Atlanta Braves
MLB Secondary: St. Louis Cardinals

Don't really follow the NFL, NHL, or NBA. I mostly like baseball due to the strategy involved, and the fact that you can do other things while watching a game.

Bruce

I'm a Sounder til I die and an American too.

I passively follow other Seattle sports teams.

jeffandnicole

All Philly teams for me.

Phillies
Eagles
Flyers

Not a huge basketball fan, but I will follow the 76ers.

Never got into college sports...maybe because the college I went to was a business college, and we didn't have a football team (or any sports other than soccer and softball).

xcellntbuy

Third generation life-long New York Yankees fan. :nod:

Zeffy

NFL: Philadelphia Eagles (and that won't ever change, even if they continue to struggle this season)
NBA: LA Lakers (my second favorite is the Miami Heat, and that's because I was originally born there, not to bandwagon the big three)
MLB: Don't watch it enough anymore to care

NCAA Football: Notre Dame

Never watched a game of hockey, soccer, and other sports I didn't list here.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I have a weird preference according to American standards.

Handball: BM Huesca. The team from my hometown, currently at highest division (which in Spain is the ASOBAL league). Season starts next Friday (BTW, our unlucky day is Tuesday the 13th, not Friday).

I've got tired of football (soccer), so I don't follow that anymore. As for basketball, well there is now the Eurobasket in play, and sometimes I check NBA, without any preferred teams but leaning a bit towards the T-wolves. I don't follow baseball, ice hockey or American football at all.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

MLB: Red Sox (faithful follower since 1984, both sides of my family were, so it's Sox or black sheep status.)
NFL: Pats & Giants (I grew up watching both, and there was never a problem till SBs 42 & 46)
NHL: I've warmed to the Bruins.  I'll always be an orphaned Whalers fan, but will NOT follow the Whalercanes.
NBA: Celtics
College B-Ball: UCONN
Don't really have a favorite for college football.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 26, 2013, 10:39:10 AM
Don't really have a favorite for college football.

Certainly not UConn this year :-/
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Buck87

NCAA: Ohio State Buckeyes
NFL: Cleveland Browns
MLB: Cleveland Indians
NBA: Cleveland Cavaliers
NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets
MLS: Columbus Crew (though I don't follow soccer very closely at all)

realjd

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 05, 2012, 12:01:20 PM
NCAA: Maryland Terrapins  Not any longer - I will not support any team in the Big 10 - Maryland won't ever get any more contributions or other support from me. They are supposed to be getting a windfall from the Big 10, so they don't need my money.

Why the Big 10 hate? I've seen a good bit of friendly conference rivalry but I've never heard of anyone actually having a strong opinion about an athletic conference as a whole.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.