News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Sports fans. What're your teams?

Started by OCGuy81, September 29, 2011, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: english si on February 10, 2014, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on February 10, 2014, 10:20:14 AM
I'm fine with any teams anyone likes as long as they don't say "we" when talking about them, unless you actually played for or coached them!
So the "12th man" or whatever things that the team themselves claim about their fans - that the fan aid them, is complete nonsense in your view?

Fans also are the money bags without which the team won't be as good (especially true in non-American sports without the draft system).

At least the A & M fans stay until the end.  I had to laugh when the Seahawks "fans" left in that playoff game against the Packers and couldn't get back in to the stadium. 

texaskdog

NFL-Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, Texans...
NHL-Wild, Stars
NCAA-Texas, Minnesota, Michigan.....though I like a lot of teams, much more fun than NFL
NBA, Soccer-zzzzz

Alps

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 28, 2017, 09:12:57 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2017, 09:08:42 AM
I may need a new NFL team, one that doesn't waste 3 draft picks to trade up one spot in the draft to draft a QB 20+ spots ahead of where he should have gone.

Come on over to the Purple side— - we hate the Packers just as much :)
Come on over to the Green side - we hate the Vikings just as much :)

Darkchylde

NFL - Saints, Eagles (I blame my fiancee for this)
MLB - Royals
NHL - Avalanche

I haven't really cared about the NBA since Jordan retired for good. The NCAA can die in a fire for all I care.

dvferyance

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2017, 02:27:55 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 27, 2017, 02:09:22 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 25, 2017, 01:23:46 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on April 25, 2017, 12:52:38 PM
NFL Indianapolis Colts (Milwaukee doesn't have a team so it's pick and choose. The closest team the Bears are horrible. I was a Manning fan so this is what I picked)
NBA Milwaukee Bucks
MLB Milwaukee Brewers
NHL Don't care
Not a packers fan?
Obviously not becasue if I was I would have said they were my team and not the Colts. The Packers play 2 hours away in Green Bay that's too far away to be considered a local team. They aren't even the closest team. If they still played some games in Milwaukee like the used to then I could make the case that they do have some connection to our area. I also can't stand their GM Ted Thompson and never got into Aaron Rodgers though I did like Favre but those days are over.
the Packers are considered the team of all of Wisconsin.
That's just a matter of opinion I don't see it that way. Then why are St Louis and San Diego fans so upset? Their state already has a team still and the Chargers didn't even move too far. If a team is not part of your community then you can't say they belong to your city.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2017, 09:08:42 AM
I may need a new NFL team, one that doesn't waste 3 draft picks to trade up one spot in the draft to draft a QB 20+ spots ahead of where he should have gone.

That was a knee-slapper.  Da Bears got rolled hard by the Niners on that one.  You just know they feigned interest in that guy to goad Chicago into making the trade.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Max Rockatansky

I'm a fan of all four major sports, specifically the Detroit area teams; Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings, Lions, and U of M for college. 

HazMatt

NFL - Panthers
NCAA - NC State / Appalachian State
NBA - The move to New Orleans really soured me on the NBA, but I sort of follow the new iteration of the Hornets.
NHL - Hurricanes, but admittedly a fairweather fan.
MLB - Team Chaos since I didn't grow up with a team.  Go Indians?
A passing interest in the Railhawks (or whatever their new name is) as well.  Looks like they're trying to get into MLS.

ColossalBlocks

St Louis cardinals, but I really don't keep up with sports. And I live in Blytheville, so I can't talk about it.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Bruce

I figure I should update my entry, as I now have an adopted club overseas (who I went to see in person).

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC
WHL: Everett Silvertips
Bundesliga: Hertha BSC
FIFA/CONCACAF: USMNT

Also, this thread has about the amount of soccer teams I'd expect of an American forum.  :pan:

LM117

NBA: Chicago Bulls
NFL: Panthers
NCAA: UNC (:bigass:)
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on April 30, 2017, 01:29:47 AM
I figure I should update my entry, as I now have an adopted club overseas (who I went to see in person).

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC
WHL: Everett Silvertips
Bundesliga: Hertha BSC
FIFA/CONCACAF: USMNT

Also, this thread has about the amount of soccer teams I'd expect of an American forum.  :pan:

See here's the thing....I just can't get into Soccer, especially the MLS.  At the end of the day the MLS still is basically akin to AA or AAA baseball.  Just like the Lansing Lugnuts, I'll go to a game if someone offers but at the end of the day I'll always been pretty indifferent. 

Really what isn't helping Soccer state side is the huge option of alternate sports to view.  I played Soccer for a couple years in school, it is WAY more fun to actually play than watch.  I think the Simpsons described the Soccer viewing experience infinitely better than I can:

I can't talk to anyone I know in Orlando seriously when they always bring up the Lions since the star player is called "Kaka."  How does a dude with a somewhat normal but LONG name end up picking something like that as a nickname anyways?

Bruce

Brazilian and Portugese players have a fairly unique nickname system, since many share common surnames: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2006/06/why_ronaldinho_has_no_last_name.html

Many come from the favelas, or the slums, and thus gain the nicknames as a mark of pride that they don't let go of.

As for Kaka, who is a joy to watch despite what you think of his name, his nickname comes from the way his younger brother shortened his full name (Ricardo) when they were younger.

As for soccer being boring...to each their own. I can't stand stop-and-start action, as I can get easily distracted and bored, but soccer keeps me engaged with only one interruption. It's pretty valuable in today's world, to say the least.

7/8

NHL: Toronto Maple Leafs
OHL: Kitchener Rangers
CFL: Hamilton Tiger-Cats
FIFA: Canada and England (since Canada's men's team rarely makes it far)

roadgeek01

• MLB: Baltimore Orioles (AL) New York Mets (NL)
  • NFL: Baltimore Ravens (AFC)
I don't really watch basketball or hockey that much.
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

nyratk1

Quote from: nyratk1 on October 01, 2011, 04:31:38 AM
MLB: Mets
NHL: Rangers
NFL: Jets
NBA: don't care
NCAAF/BB/whatever: don't care, my alma mater isn't a huge sports school

Saw my old post from 6 years ago and since then I got into soccer thanks to an overseas friend. Said friend was a Newcastle United supporter and I fell in love with them as well. And NYCFC when that started play in MLS. And my alma mater ended up going to the College World Series in 2012 and eeked into March Madness last year.

epzik8

NHL: Washington Capitals
MLB: Washington Nationals
NFL: Washington Redskins
NASCAR: Joey Logano
AHL: Hershey Bears
Minor league baseball: Aberdeen IronBirds
NCAA: Maryland Terrapins
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

slorydn1

NFL: Da Bears
MLB: Da Cubs
NBA: Da Bulls
NHL: Da 'Hawks
NCAA Football: University of Michigan
NCAA Basketball (mens): University of North Carolina
NASCAR: Kevin Harvick
F1: Scuderia Ferrari
Indy Car: Helio Castroneves
IMSA: Prototype Class-Wayne Taylor Racing// GTLM Class-Corvette
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.