Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HTM Duke

A shame, given that it is an older white border shield, but Alexandria apparently shaved the crown of an I-shield and used it as a state shield:
https://goo.gl/maps/WXHTPdzZcmT2
This sign also has a southbound counterpart, installed last year:
https://goo.gl/maps/cwYmNVAjjLu

Another one with the same problem, but no white border this time:
https://goo.gl/maps/qW9i1jqycnr
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

freebrickproductions

Quote from: HTM Duke on March 09, 2018, 06:57:07 PM
A shame, given that it is an older white border shield, but Alexandria apparently shaved the crown of an I-shield and used it as a state shield:
https://goo.gl/maps/WXHTPdzZcmT2
This sign also has a southbound counterpart, installed last year:
https://goo.gl/maps/cwYmNVAjjLu

Another one with the same problem, but no white border this time:
https://goo.gl/maps/qW9i1jqycnr
That, or they're based on the Australian State Route shield:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

I've seen that frequently in Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

There's some guy at OkDOT that really likes Series B a whole lot more than he should. Series B Billy Bob was allowed to make this knockdown replacement gore point. It appears the X was put on upside down for some reason. At least he remembered where OkDOT keeps the real Type A arrow outline!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Life in Paradise

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 03, 2018, 11:57:48 PM

There's some guy at OkDOT that really likes Series B a whole lot more than he should. Series B Billy Bob was allowed to make this knockdown replacement gore point. It appears the X was put on upside down for some reason. At least he remembered where OkDOT keeps the real Type A arrow outline!
Also would appear that they could have made the exit "107" rather than "106".

Eth

Quote from: Life in Paradise on April 04, 2018, 09:11:35 AM
Also would appear that they could have made the exit "107" rather than "106".

It looks like this is on southbound I-35, which would mean the center of the interchange is at mile 106-point-something. If Oklahoma just rounds down by default to assign exit numbers, 106 is perfectly fine.

thenetwork

That "6" looks a tad smaller than it's friends, the "1" and the "0".  In other words, in ODOT land, Another Masterpiece in Signage.

PHLBOS

Those look more like Series C to me.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Eth

Agreed. For illustration, Series B at the top, C at the bottom:

It's the 6 that throws it off and makes it look B-ish, because it's been rotated about 10 degrees clockwise.

Scott5114

Looking at it blown-up like that, it looks like the vertical stroke of the "1" is wider than the horizontal stroke. Which means that this isn't just Series B, it's Series B horizontally stretched to C width. Because of course it is.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Eth

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 04, 2018, 03:22:10 PM
Looking at it blown-up like that, it looks like the vertical stroke of the "1" is wider than the horizontal stroke. Which means that this isn't just Series B, it's Series B horizontally stretched to C width. Because of course it is.

You know, I really should have seen that coming. Especially with how often I see things like this:

formulanone

Found this US Route 49W shield in Drew, Mississippi:

Wrong shield, wrong font, and they sub-scripted the suffix. Good candidate for Worst of Signs.

Here's a nicer example for comparison:

hotdogPi

How about "wrong angle"? This sign should be facing the road on the left, pointing to the road behind the camera.

Same sign from farther away (obviously the focus of this photo is on a different sign):

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SignBridge

Massachusetts right? No explanation needed.........

jakeroot

Not sure this is really a "design error", but Boulder should have used "Yield on Flashing Yellow Arrow", instead of "Turning Vehicles Must Yield", since the phasing is protected/permissive, not permissive only.

https://goo.gl/kx3tuy

PurdueBill

Quote from: jakeroot on May 30, 2018, 06:23:23 PM
Not sure this is really a "design error", but Boulder should have used "Yield on Flashing Yellow Arrow", instead of "Turning Vehicles Must Yield", since the phasing is protected/permissive, not permissive only.

Looking at the street view from the past, there used to be two circular RYG signals (one for each turn lane) and the sign made sense then.  They probably should have replaced that with TWO four-section signals with FYA, but maybe they were leery of calling attention to the unusual double permissive turns or something.
As it is now set up, the sign is definitely wrong.  On a green arrow, you are not in a "must yield" situation.

jakeroot

Quote from: PurdueBill on June 03, 2018, 12:04:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 30, 2018, 06:23:23 PM

https://i.imgur.com/YWsrJnE.png

Looking at the street view from the past, there used to be two circular RYG signals (one for each turn lane) and the sign made sense then.  They probably should have replaced that with TWO four-section signals with FYA, but maybe they were leery of calling attention to the unusual double permissive turns or something.
As it is now set up, the sign is definitely wrong.  On a green arrow, you are not in a "must yield" situation.

Good observation. I will say that the double permissive turn is not unusual in Colorado (particularly common in Boulder) but it is pretty common to have only one overhead left turn head in Colorado (with another on the left mast).

Either way though, the sign is certainly not correct now. I didn't bother to look back into historical street view. I would have modified my original post appropriately. I thought maybe the sign was installed in error, but I see now that it's just left over.

akotchi

Not sure if this is a "sign with design error" or an "erroneous road sign," but here goes . . .

Located along former I-95 SB, now I-295 NB, when the exit number was changed to 69, the order of the suffixes was not changed.  Originally was 7 B-A, should be 69 A-B. NB reference marker provided in foreground to confirm error based on direction on highway.

Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

US71

As part of OKDOT's new exit signs on US 69, they've demoted Business 69 at McAlester to state road status.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Just noticed this; really not a fan of Oklahoma's state highway marker. I wish they'd do it Florida style, and remove the area of the state outline around the numbers. The panhandle gives away which state it is without the bottom edge of the outline.

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on July 19, 2018, 03:13:32 PM
Just noticed this; really not a fan of Oklahoma's state highway marker. I wish they'd do it Florida style, and remove the area of the state outline around the numbers. The panhandle gives away which state it is without the bottom edge of the outline.

I'm not sure how much of southwestern Oklahoma you can cut away and still make it look like Oklahoma, unless the design changes to something with a state name on top, or a 50/50 design like Colorado's, but with the outline on top. The other idea would be to make the state outline a different color, but something lighter. Sometimes the state outline is thinner than the numerals, sometimes it's the same thickness.

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on July 19, 2018, 05:18:19 PM

I'm not sure how much of southwestern Oklahoma you can cut away and still make it look like Oklahoma, unless the design changes to something with a state name on top, or a 50/50 design like Colorado's, but with the outline on top. The other idea would be to make the state outline a different color, but something lighter. Sometimes the state outline is thinner than the numerals, sometimes it's the same thickness.

I think most of the problem with the sign above is that the numbers are too thin. I see no reason why they couldn't use Series D, especially because those appear to be 3-digit shields.

hotdogPi

I think centering the first digit under the panhandle, and then having the second digit (if there is one) just barely to the right of the due north-south border section, would help.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

PHLBOS

Quote from: akotchi on June 10, 2018, 03:01:45 PM
Not sure if this is a "sign with design error" or an "erroneous road sign," but here goes . . .

Located along former I-95 SB, now I-295 NB, when the exit number was changed to 69, the order of the suffixes was not changed.  Originally was 7 B-A, should be 69 A-B. NB reference marker provided in foreground to confirm error based on direction on highway.

Such isn't the first time that's happened.  The below-errors have existed since 1992.  Apparently, somebody placed the opposite tabs on such.
Along I-95 southbound (the main button-copy panel is circa 1985)

Along I-95 northbound (prior to 2001, a 95 NORTH Philadelphia pull-through BGS w/3 downward arrows was where the advance Exit 13 BGS is presently)

GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 19, 2018, 05:18:19 PM

I mean, it's the only state that looks like a meat cleaver. Even cutting away a section of SW Oklahoma would still give it away.

I'm tempted to try and cram in a state name in the panhandle, but it would be too busy. Maybe just the abbreviation? Like "OKLA".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.