News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Truck Weigh Stations

Started by The High Plains Traveler, July 02, 2012, 09:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

This relates to a trip I took last month through the midwest, specifically for this example Nebraska and Iowa, but I think has more national relevance.

Normally when driving my pickup and towing a recreational trailer, I totally disregard weigh stations. Along I-80 in Nebraska, though, the signage directs TRUCKS and PICKUPS WITH TRAILERS to weigh. I was prepared to blow by regardless, but a small sign in advance allowed an exemption for recreational vehicles.

In Iowa, the signage directs VEHICLES OVER 10000 LB to weigh. Which of course raises the question: if I don't go through the weigh station how do I know how much I weigh? And, is it referring to each unit or the total weight? My truck has a GVW of about 6500 lb. and my trailer about 5700 lb., though neither is loaded to anywhere near that level (together they would probably be in the neighborhood of 10,000 pounds).

Finally, why would a private pickup be required to weigh along an interstate? I do not have an apportioned registration, nor is my vehicle likely to violate any axle weight limitations. I don't recall seeing any signage traveling in the west and southwest that would suggest any obligation on my part to pull my vehicle through a weigh station.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 02, 2012, 09:22:30 PM
Finally, why would a private pickup be required to weigh along an interstate? I do not have an apportioned registration, nor is my vehicle likely to violate any axle weight limitations. I don't recall seeing any signage traveling in the west and southwest that would suggest any obligation on my part to pull my vehicle through a weigh station.

Maryland wants trucks with registered weights over 10,000 pounds (5 tons) to pass through weigh/inspection stations.  These days, most them have weigh-in-motion prescreening, and even a "dually" pickup is going to be sent to the bypass lane.

If a truck has a body other than a pickup bed, then they may want to weigh and even inspect the truck.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 02, 2012, 09:27:16 PM

Maryland wants trucks with registered weights over 10,000 pounds (5 tons) to pass through weigh/inspection stations.  These days, most them have weigh-in-motion prescreening, and even a "dually" pickup is going to be sent to the bypass lane.

If a truck has a body other than a pickup bed, then they may want to weigh and even inspect the truck.
Then, what would Maryland do with that information? Understanding that my recreational combination is smaller than about 3/4 of those we see when we travel, and a lot of folks might exceed 10,000 pounds GVW with each individual unit. I'm just curious, since I've always regarded truck weigh stations as only being applicable to true commercial vehicles carrying cargo for hire or for purposes of a business, not geezers pulling their RVs on a trip. That's why I found the signage along our way, especially in Iowa, a little curious.   
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 02, 2012, 10:02:07 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 02, 2012, 09:27:16 PM

Then, what would Maryland do with that information? Understanding that my recreational combination is smaller than about 3/4 of those we see when we travel, and a lot of folks might exceed 10,000 pounds GVW with each individual unit. I'm just curious, since I've always regarded truck weigh stations as only being applicable to true commercial vehicles carrying cargo for hire or for purposes of a business, not geezers pulling their RVs on a trip. That's why I found the signage along our way, especially in Iowa, a little curious.

Probably ignore them.

Most of those geezer vehicles don't have the axle weights or gross vehicle weight to get put through to the static scales.

You are absolutely correct that weigh/inspection stations are about weighing and inspecting commercial vehicles. 

There are a few places where trucks are checked where the police are interested in RVs - in particular at the approaches to the I-95 (Fort McHenry) and I-895 (Baltimore Harbor) tunnels in Baltimore City, where propane bottles (often found on RVs and travel trailers) are mostly prohibited.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

Around 2007, moving trucks started being required to use the weigh stations, at least in Illinois.  I only stopped at one (moving from Illinois to Kansas), and was never flagged to stop, so I just kept going.  Very strange experience.

While living in southern Illinois, I drove a delivery truck.  They were not over the weight limit for weigh stations in Illinois, so we all were instructed to ignore them.  Then one driver was chased by the police in Kentucky.  It never occurred to us that our trucks might be over the limit in Kentucky (10 000 lbs instead of 18 000).  Oops.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: kphoger on July 03, 2012, 10:24:23 AM
Around 2007, moving trucks started being required to use the weigh stations, at least in Illinois.  I only stopped at one (moving from Illinois to Kansas), and was never flagged to stop, so I just kept going.  Very strange experience.

While living in southern Illinois, I drove a delivery truck.  They were not over the weight limit for weigh stations in Illinois, so we all were instructed to ignore them.  Then one driver was chased by the police in Kentucky.  It never occurred to us that our trucks might be over the limit in Kentucky (10 000 lbs instead of 18 000).  Oops.

Commercial moving trucks (at least in Maryland and Virginia) are supposed to stop at weigh/inspection stations. It is my understanding that drivers of such vehicles often stay behind the wheel for more hours than allowed under federal hours-of-service laws, so they are often targeted for logbook checks.

Note that U-Haul and other rental trucks, if being used by private citizens to haul their own belongings, do not meet the definition of "commercial vehicle," though they are not supposed to be heavier than 26,000 pounds laden weight (trucks over 26,000 pounds are supposed to be operated by drivers with a CDL, and if they are being driven across state lines, are also supposed to have a current IFTA sticker displayed), which is why many rental trucks have something like "GVW 25,999" or "GVW under 26,000" painted on both vehicle doors.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 03, 2012, 11:45:42 AM

Note that U-Haul and other rental trucks, if being used by private citizens to haul their own belongings, do not meet the definition of "commercial vehicle," though they are not supposed to be heavier than 26,000 pounds laden weight (trucks over 26,000 pounds are supposed to be operated by drivers with a CDL, and if they are being driven across state lines, are also supposed to have a current IFTA sticker displayed), which is why many rental trucks have something like "GVW 25,999" or "GVW under 26,000" painted on both vehicle doors.

I always wondered about that. Thanks for the info. Back in July 2001 (hmmm.....this very week of 2001, actually) I had just moved into the house where I still live and I went up to New York and then drove a Penske rental truck from Brooklyn to Virginia after picking up some furniture my relatives no longer wanted, and the fellow at the Penske place told me I did in fact have to stop at weigh stations. In the end it didn't matter because the only weigh station I encountered (the one on I-95 just north of the Susquehanna) was closed. I was a little disappointed because I was kind of curious to find out what it was like to go through a weigh station.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2012, 12:21:44 PM

I always wondered about that. Thanks for the info. Back in July 2001 (hmmm.....this very week of 2001, actually) I had just moved into the house where I still live and I went up to New York and then drove a Penske rental truck from Brooklyn to Virginia after picking up some furniture my relatives no longer wanted, and the fellow at the Penske place told me I did in fact have to stop at weigh stations. In the end it didn't matter because the only weigh station I encountered (the one on I-95 just north of the Susquehanna) was closed. I was a little disappointed because I was kind of curious to find out what it was like to go through a weigh station.

That southbound weigh/inspection station at Perryville, Md., when it is working properly, uses high-speed weigh-in-motion (and, I believe, now PrePass) to screen passing trucks, most of which get a green light to go back out to I-95 without stopping.

Even though it stands next door to the Maryland State Police Barrack "M" (its troopers are dedicated to the JFK Highway section of I-95, from the northeast side of Baltimore to the Delaware line), it is staffed by officers and inspectors of the Maryland Transportation Authority Police (MdTAP).

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 03, 2012, 12:21:44 PM

Indeed, I was referring to box-style moving trucks.  I was in a Penske box truck, and I had been advised the law had changed so that I would need to stop.  The rumor was that human traffickers were favoring that kind of vehicle.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

A related question:  if you drive an ordinary passenger car through a weigh station, will you be shouted at, cursed, or fined for wasting the officials' time?

(In Canada, Alberta makes unattended scales available for self-weighing at pullouts on major highways, and these can be used by passenger cars as well as trucks--I used one of these some years ago and discovered that my car, as then loaded, weighed something like 1750 kg.  To my knowledge, however, similar amenities are not available anywhere in the US.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 05, 2012, 01:11:03 PM
A related question:  if you drive an ordinary passenger car through a weigh station, will you be shouted at, cursed, or fined for wasting the officials' time?

If I ever had mechanical difficulties, I would not hesitate to stop at a weigh station to investigate.  I'd park out of the way of commercial traffic, and I'd sincerely hope that after a quick inquiry, they'd either offer me assistance, or leave me alone.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Some of Florida's weigh stations have "family restrooms" according to http://www.dot.state.fl.us/statemaintenanceoffice/WeighStationListing.shtm , so I think they'd allow you to poo there.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

At least in Md. and Va., I don't think the enforcement staff will care too much, though the scales on I-95 at Dumfries, Va. (which include truck-only rest areas) are posted with signs prohibiting passenger vehicles from stopping there (there are car-only rest areas a short distance north of Dumfries at Dale City).  Though I the enforcement officers and other staff there seem friendly enough, and are not normally going to have a fit about such things.

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 05, 2012, 01:11:03 PM(In Canada, Alberta makes unattended scales available for self-weighing at pullouts on major highways, and these can be used by passenger cars as well as trucks--I used one of these some years ago and discovered that my car, as then loaded, weighed something like 1750 kg.  To my knowledge, however, similar amenities are not available anywhere in the US.)

In general, the static scales do not have displays visible outside the scalehouse showing gross, axle and tandem weights, though I think if you ask politely when the scales are open, they will almost certainly weigh your vehicle for you (keep in mind that because overweight tickets are issued on the basis of what is measured on the scales, they are maintained and certified frequently).

Duke87

This sounds like a situation which there may not even be a known procedure for handling since it's the sort of thing that probably never actually happens. After all, who would have any inclination to do it and why?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Duke87 on July 05, 2012, 04:05:31 PM

This sounds like a situation which there may not even be a known procedure for handling since it's the sort of thing that probably never actually happens. After all, who would have any inclination to do it and why?

To use the rest room. 

I have seen that several times while working at weigh/inspection stations.

Road Hog

Arkansas is the one and only state where you can expect all weigh stations are open 24/7. Even the internal ones that ring Little Rock on four sides.

allniter89

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2012, 02:28:29 PM

At least in Md. and Va., I don't think the enforcement staff will care too much, though the scales on I-95 at Dumfries, Va. (which include truck-only rest areas) are posted with signs prohibiting passenger vehicles from stopping there (there are car-only rest areas a short distance north of Dumfries at Dale City).  Though I the enforcement officers and other staff there seem friendly enough, and are not normally going to have a fit about such things.

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 05, 2012, 01:11:03 PM(In Canada, Alberta makes unattended scales available for self-weighing at pullouts on major highways, and these can be used by passenger cars as well as trucks--I used one of these some years ago and discovered that my car, as then loaded, weighed something like 1750 kg.  To my knowledge, however, similar amenities are not available anywhere in the US.)

In general, the static scales do not have displays visible outside the scalehouse showing gross, axle and tandem weights, though I think if you ask politely when the scales are open, they will almost certainly weigh your vehicle for you (keep in mind that because overweight tickets are issued on the basis of what is measured on the scales, they are maintained and certified frequently).

My opinion as a retired truck driver is as long as you stay out of the way of the trucks you shouldn't have a problem and DO NOT get on the scale until you talk with the scale-master. I cant see them allowing you to weigh your personal vehicle tho, if the weigh station is open it's pretty much busy all the time.
The scale-master might suggest you go to http://catscale.com/ to weigh your vehicle at many truck stops.
Regarding the car restriction at the Dumphries rest area, I think that is to keep the working girls and "good buddies" from bothering truckers.  :hmmm: :nod:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Duke87 on July 05, 2012, 04:05:31 PMThis sounds like a situation which there may not even be a known procedure for handling since it's the sort of thing that probably never actually happens. After all, who would have any inclination to do it and why?

To add to the reasons others mentioned:

*  Sometimes weigh stations have hill descent maps which are worth photographing--US 95 at the top of Lewiston Hill comes to mind, for example

*  With a few exceptions (such as the one Allniter89 mentions), there are no other opportunities for four-wheelers to weigh their vehicles on a roll-on, roll-off basis.  Precise information as to the weight of your vehicle allows you to estimate a baseline highway MPG for long trips (using the old rule of a 2 MPG penalty per 100 lb)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cpzilliacus

Quote from: allniter89 on July 05, 2012, 06:57:58 PM
My opinion as a retired truck driver is as long as you stay out of the way of the trucks you shouldn't have a problem and DO NOT get on the scale until you talk with the scale-master. I cant see them allowing you to weigh your personal vehicle tho, if the weigh station is open it's pretty much busy all the time.

With PrePass and weigh-in-motion screening in advance of the static scales, they are less busy than they were in the "old days."

Still, I think your advice is good.

The scale-master might suggest you go to http://catscale.com/ to weigh your vehicle at many truck stops.

True.  Though the scales at a highway weigh/inspection station are free.

Regarding the car restriction at the Dumphries rest area, I think that is to keep the working girls and "good buddies" from bothering truckers.  :hmmm: :nod:

The Dumfries truck rest areas are frequently patrolled by Virginia State Police (in part because their officers/troopers staff the scalehouse, and the VSP motor carrier troopers frequently inspect trucks on both sides of I-95 - there are inspection "pits" in each rest area) and they are staffed by attendants 24/7, which means that these are not especially a welcome place for the "lot lizards" of the world. 

I believe those signs were put up in large part because there is much more demand for truck parking at these truck rest areas than there is supply, and the Virginia Department of Transportation does not want passenger cars and small trucks using up that supply.

realjd

My understanding:
* Rental trucks like U-Hauls are almost always required to stop in most states
* Pickups with trailers are usually required to stop, again depending on state
* If in doubt, go through the weigh station. Worst case you get waived on.
* FL Agriculture checkpoints are more strict - anything with a trailer MUST stop, as well as anything that isn't a car, pickup, or RV.

I'm not a regular truck driver, so my understanding is open to discussion :)

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 05, 2012, 02:28:29 PM

During the period a few years ago when the majority of the car rest areas in Virginia were closed, I found myself wondering whether we might see car drivers stopping at that truck rest area because it remained open.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

During the period a few years ago when the majority of the car rest areas in Virginia were closed, I found myself wondering whether we might see car drivers stopping at that truck rest area because it remained open.

Massachusetts had this problem of "four-wheelers" entering weigh stations for many years, especially as they have no permanent weigh stations.  Instead they use portable scales at open pull off areas along the freeway that are signed as weigh stations.

About 2000, the issue was finally resolved when MassHighway, at the request of the State Police, fenced off several of these areas, and permanently closed the rest of them.  They also upgraded the "next right" advance signs with a LED "blank-out" banner and flashers, although IMO most of them are far too close to the weigh station to be truly effective.

As I've been told, the State Police apparently insisted that both the "OPEN" and "CLOSED" messages both be yellow (as opposed to a red "CLOSED" message and a yellow "OPEN").  Because of this, the flashers were added and are activated only when the "OPEN" message is displayed for emphasis.

Within the first year of the fences going in, there were numerous instances of truckers (and even some passenger car drivers) breaking the closed gates with their vehicles to use the weigh station as a rest area.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

sp_redelectric

I can't say I've tested going through a weigh station in Oregon...

However, on the non-freeway permanent weigh stations reader boards have been added at many of them so I have frequently seen people weigh their vehicles when the station was closed.  And many of those weigh stations are not open consistent hours.

I'm not sure I'd recommend stopping at the Woodburn Port of Entry without reason; there's a rest area about 10 miles north and it's just before the Woodburn exit for your "needs".

Sykotyk

In Washington, several of the weigh stations out in Apple Country are left on with the displays pointing to the outside window so drivers can find their weights as the nearest certified scale might be a hundred or more miles away.

Requirements to use the scale are up to the state. Some go by GVWR (i.e., max weight the vehicle is titled to handle), some go by classification (i.e,. NY, KY, etc classify trucks via title or other distinction), others by number of axles, others by whether you're engaging in commercial use.

If you have a DOT# on the side of the vehicle, always enter. whether you're using it for personal use or not. The scalemaster doesn't know that.

As for OP, you should've gone in. It's based on your total combined weight of everything your power unit is moving. Legally, you're supposed to know the weight of your vehicle before you move it onto a highway and whether you have to comply with the weigh stations or not. Otherwise, truckers could argue that 'they weren't sure they were over a certain weight' and just run by the scale as well. Even you yourself admit your combined vehicle is above the 10k lb threshold.

It's not just to catch overweight on gross or axles. It's also required for spot checks of the heavy vehicles and what they're weighing in at on average. Even a bobtail tractor has to go into a scale and there's no way one of them is violating any of the weight restrictions for axle or gross.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 06, 2012, 09:13:56 AM

Agreed.

I recall the "Next Rest Area XXX miles"  sign at the one on I-95 northbound at Carson, Va. (which was still open) read something like 175 or 180 miles - the next rest open for cars was in North Laurel, Howard County, Maryland (between the Capital Beltway and Baltimore Beltway).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.