News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Questionable State Highways In Washington

Started by 707, September 04, 2012, 11:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefraze_1020

WA-531 is pretty pointless. It was created in 1992, originally from WA-9 west to cross I-5 at Smokey Point and ultimately end at (what was) Wenberg State Park.

It is an odd-numbered route going east-west. In the immediate vicinity of I-5, it is 4+ lanes, but quickly narrows to 2 lanes, but is really too narrow for state highway standards.

Wenberg is no longer a state park. Within the city of Arlington, the highway can be transferred to the city, and transferred to Snohomish County outside the city limits.

On another topic, how about WA-538 (College Way) in Mount Vernon? It is entirely within the city limits of Mount Vernon, and thus, WSDOT could decommission it on the same logic as they did WA-908 in Redmond/ Kirkland.
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

thefraze_1020

WA-548 could be removed or re-worked somehow too. It is half north-south from Blaine to the Cherry Point Refinery, and half east-west from the refinery back to I-5. To me, it makes more sense to remove WA-548 from Grandview Rd, and apply that designation to Birch Bay-Lynden Rd from I-5 to WA-539 in Lynden.

P.S. I completely agree on removing 513, 519, 523, 339
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Bruce

I would avoid decommissioning SR 513 and SR 519 until WSDOT finishes their construction projects in the area. Having SDOT take over for them in the middle of the megaproject doesn't make sense and could cause some major conflicts.

SR 531 is most definitely useless as a state highway and would be better off (with sidewalks and safety improvements) under the control of the cities of Marysville and Arlington. (This comes from someone who lives on this state highway)

SR 339 definitely needs to be decommissioned. Its former route is now handled by a more appropriate water taxi, so there is no real need to re-introduce full-size ferry service to Vashon from Colman Dock.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.