News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2018, 09:21:27 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 05, 2018, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2018, 09:12:05 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 05, 2018, 09:04:55 AM
The new alignment of US 33 in Goshen is now open.  Drove it yesterday while visiting family for the 4th.  The new section of road contains an overpass over the 9th street railroad tracks, thus eliminating an at-grade crossing from the route.  The new alignment re-routes the section previously routed along 3rd and Madison Streets.

Did they fuck up the routing of SR 15 in the area?

Does anyone know if SR 252 still exists between I-65 and SR 9?  I heard that after the construction on that stretch was finished, it would be decommissioned. 

Several years ago, Goshen got approval to re-route 15 and 33 through downtown from Pike/Main to 3rd/Madison so they could close off Main for city events/festivals without having to get INDOT's permission for every event.  It's not really a significant change for traffic.

So this bypass carries both 15 and 33 then? (15 is signed on the bypass?)

No, 15 still runs down 3rd and then Main on out to the south.  15 doesn't ever cross the 9th street tracks so there was no need to reroute it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 05, 2018, 12:39:47 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2018, 09:21:27 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 05, 2018, 09:18:42 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2018, 09:12:05 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 05, 2018, 09:04:55 AM
The new alignment of US 33 in Goshen is now open.  Drove it yesterday while visiting family for the 4th.  The new section of road contains an overpass over the 9th street railroad tracks, thus eliminating an at-grade crossing from the route.  The new alignment re-routes the section previously routed along 3rd and Madison Streets.

Did they fuck up the routing of SR 15 in the area?

Does anyone know if SR 252 still exists between I-65 and SR 9?  I heard that after the construction on that stretch was finished, it would be decommissioned. 

Several years ago, Goshen got approval to re-route 15 and 33 through downtown from Pike/Main to 3rd/Madison so they could close off Main for city events/festivals without having to get INDOT's permission for every event.  It's not really a significant change for traffic.

So this bypass carries both 15 and 33 then? (15 is signed on the bypass?)

No, 15 still runs down 3rd and then Main on out to the south.  15 doesn't ever cross the 9th street tracks so there was no need to reroute it.

o ok, makes sense!

Can anyone confirm that SR 252 still exists between I-65 and SR 9?

silverback1065

465 will be closed for a week between SR 67 and 37 on the southside, one week per direction.  They're going to fix the shitty pavement and bridges in the area, I-70 and 65 will be the detour. Starting 9/14/18

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2018, 04:56:12 PM
465 will be closed for a week between SR 67 and 37 on the southside, one week per direction.  They're going to fix the shitty pavement and bridges in the area, I-70 and 65 will be the detour. Starting 9/14/18

It's smart they're waiting until all the dust settles on the current I-65 work on the northwest side - and the summer traffic dies down - before working on this endeavor. Also shows how Indianapolis has a much better highway network then here in NWI; if one highway goes down, there are plenty of alternatives to shoulder the load. Here in Northwest Indiana...not so much.

Also, note the location of this particular project...could they also be preparing for the building of I-69 with this (series of) work(s)?

Meanwhile, on my stretch of I-65, they're gunning for the finish line with expansion. While I can't see what's going on near Indiana 2 (cameras are STILL down, and State Police are cracking down HARD on traffic violators), the picture starts to get a little clearer from US 231 to US 30. The southbound bridge over US 231 has been completely resurfaced, with brand new concrete and guardrails. Crews still have to resurface the northbound span (by shifting traffic to the new inside lanes, which are traffic ready). If the southbound side is any indication, that shouldn't take long (the existing beam structures are staying in place).

Crews are also pouring concrete for the future northbound shoulder and made it halfway between US 231 and the 113th Street overpass as of yesterday afternoon. INDOT is staying firm on their end of October deadline and says that everything is on schedule.

The infamous Lake Station ramp from the westbound Indiana Toll Road to the Borman has been closed for a while (yet again), but it's only guardrail damage that needs to be repaired. It should be done before fall. I really wish they would monitor truck traffic in this area, since a lot of the problems affecting that particular ramp have been truck related. If it has to come to it, enact and enforce a "No trucks"  policy and shunt them onto the I-65 exit further west.

Finally, Indiana 51 has been a pain to get through, but it's finally starting to manifest itself. The stretch from US 30 to Lincoln Street south of downtown Hobart has been paved, striped, and reflectorized; the section between 9th and 10th Streets (which was closed for three months due to a sinkhole) should be opened soon, if it hasn't already, the Third Street portion is closed in downtown for drainage and beautification, and concrete/bridge restoration from Central Avenue to US 20 is still in progress. It's strongly advised to avoid that section during peak traffic hours.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

tdindy88

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 10, 2018, 07:31:45 PM
Also, note the location of this particular project...could they also be preparing for the building of I-69 with this (series of) work(s)?

Oh God no. That would involve some proactive thinking and that is usually not in the INDOT toolbox.

I know I drove this stretch the other week but I thought a large part of it was recently repaved. I think Mann Road up to Kentucky Avenue may have not been but I'm guessing there's other bits in there.

Speaking of shoddy roadwork, the stretch of I-65 from Southport to I-465 has some dips and ruts in the pavement. Largely this is due to most of that pavement being there for over ten years now despite recent construction in that area. That has to be up to a full repaving soon, despite the fact that they could have done it back when they added the auxiliary lane in conjunction with the new ramps at I-465 and I-65.

Finally, in another mark of pure genius, driving to work last night the ramp from 65 north to 465 west, you know THE DETOUR for I-65 around the city was closed for roadwork. Can this seriously not wait until after the 65 project is over, or when they close off 465 in September? I drive by a sign that says to use 465 west as a detour around the city for 65 north traffic, and then I pass a DMS saying that the ramp to 465 west is closed. I know it's nighttime but still. No wonder people think that INDOT might be stupid enough to close 465 while doing the 65 project.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on July 10, 2018, 07:57:46 PM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 10, 2018, 07:31:45 PM

Oh God no. That would involve some proactive thinking and that is usually not in the INDOT toolbox.

I know I drove this stretch the other week but I thought a large part of it was recently repaved. I think Mann Road up to Kentucky Avenue may have not been but I'm guessing there's other bits in there.

Speaking of shoddy roadwork, the stretch of I-65 from Southport to I-465 has some dips and ruts in the pavement. Largely this is due to most of that pavement being there for over ten years now despite recent construction in that area. That has to be up to a full repaving soon, despite the fact that they could have done it back when they added the auxiliary lane in conjunction with the new ramps at I-465 and I-65.

Finally, in another mark of pure genius, driving to work last night the ramp from 65 north to 465 west, you know THE DETOUR for I-65 around the city was closed for roadwork. Can this seriously not wait until after the 65 project is over, or when they close off 465 in September? I drive by a sign that says to use 465 west as a detour around the city for 65 north traffic, and then I pass a DMS saying that the ramp to 465 west is closed.

And you think they want to plan ahead for I-69?

I seems like INDOT policy to redesign roads with at least one major fuck up, idk what they were thinking when they redid 31 and 465.

SSR_317

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 10, 2018, 04:56:12 PM
Thanks for the "head's up!" Though it's on the opposite side of town from me, the last time I was down that way I did note the decrepit state of the pavement. The entire south leg of I-465 has some of the oldest pavement on the entire I-465 loop, and is in dire need of a total rebuild. However, these September repairs are likely just a giant band-aid to keep this section serviceable until the I-69 Phase 6 project completely rebuilds it between Mann Rd & East St (US 31 South).

silverback1065

Update: INDOT is now showing maps of 465 being closed from I-70 to 65 on the south side, this may be the point where they place "local traffic only" signs, it will be where through traffic is forced to go. 

jhuntin1

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 05, 2018, 12:56:40 PM
Can anyone confirm that SR 252 still exists between I-65 and SR 9?

The exit ramp still lists SR 252, but the road is closed east of I-65. The detour refers to SR 252, which takes I-65 south to US 31 south (Taylorsville exit), but I don't know where it goes from there. I passed the interchange there and back this afternoon picking up my son from camp and could only see what I could from the driver's seat. There were no directional signs for 252 at the end of each exit ramp, and I couldn't see any reassurance markers in either direction from my limited vantage point.

silverback1065

From INDOT:

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING REGARDING PROPOSED NEW INTERCHANGE CONSTRUCTION AT U.S. 20 AND S.R. 2 IN LAPORTE COUNTY
The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will hold a public hearing on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. (local time) at the New Prairie Middle School Cafeteria, 5325 North Cougar Road, New Carlisle, IN 46552.   The purpose of the public hearing is to offer all interested persons an opportunity to comment on current design plans for a proposed new interchange at US 20 and State Road (SR) 2, between the towns of Rolling Prairie and New Carlisle, located in LaPorte County, Indiana.
The preferred alternative will convert the existing signalized intersection to a new grade separated, "dog-bone"  interchange.  The east-west corridor will remain at grade and traffic will flow uninterrupted.  The north-south corridor will be elevated and a new bridge will be constructed overtop the east-west corridor.  The dog-bone interchange will utilize roundabouts north and south of the bridge.  This modification from a more typical stop-controlled interchange will further reduce conflict points, is anticipated to provide safer and more efficient access from the off-ramps into mainline traffic flow, and reduces impacts to adjacent properties by containing the improvements within the existing right-of-way.  Additional right-of-way is not anticipated to be necessary and maintenance of traffic will be phased. The first phase will involve lane restrictions along the east-west corridor and road closures with corresponding detours for the north-south corridor.
The official state maintained detour route will utilize SR 39 to the west and US 31 to the east.  Detoured traffic will be directed between those roads by way of US 20/SR 2, through the subject intersection.  The second phase of the project construction will utilize the same detour, but will also require temporary short-term daytime closures (with flaggers) along the east-west route to accommodate bridge construction. Access would be maintained to all local properties.  School corporations and emergency services will be notified prior to any construction that would block or limit access.
The environmental document and preliminary design plans are available to view prior to the public hearing at the following locations:
Rolling Prairie Public Library , 1 East Michigan Street, Rolling Prairie, IN 46371
Phone # (219) 778-2390
INDOT La Porte District Office, 315 E Boyd Blvd., La Porte, IN Phone # (855) 464-6368
Hearings Examiner, Indiana Government Center North, N642, 100 North Senate Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204 2216, Phone # (317) 234 0796
Public statements for the record will be taken as part of the public hearing procedure.  All verbal statements recorded during the public hearing and all written comments submitted prior to, during and for a period of two (2) weeks following the hearing date, will be evaluated, considered and addressed in subsequent environmental documentation.  Written comments in regard to the project may be submitted prior to the public hearing and within the comment period to: INDOT Public Hearings, IGCN Room N642, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
With advance notice, INDOT can provide accommodation for persons with disabilities and/or limited English speaking ability and persons needing auxiliary aids or services such as interpreters, signers, readers, or large print.  Should accommodation be required, please contact Rickie Clark, Office of Public Involvement at (317) 232-6601, or email rclark@indot.in.gov.   

silverback1065

Also From INDOT:

NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING

The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will hold a public hearing on Thursday, August 2, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. (local time) at the St. John Town Hall, 10955 West 93rd Avenue, St. John, Indiana 46373. The purpose of the public hearing is to offer all interested persons an opportunity to comment on current design plans for a proposed US 41 roadway widening and added center turn lanes from US 231 north for 1.5 miles to approximately Standard Drive within the Town of St. John, located in Lake County.

The project proposes to modify and widen the US 41 roadway to include a 14-foot wide auxiliary center left-turn lane throughout the length of the project area. Exceptions will be at intersections where left turns already exist and at bridge or culvert structures. The current north and south bound lanes will remain as through lanes. Existing driveway culverts will be replaced in-kind as needed, and two new detention basins will be constructed. No detours are required for this project, however there will be phased lane closures and shifting of traffic as needed. Access to all properties along the US 41 corridor will be maintained during construction. Construction of the project will require approximately 3 acres of new permanent right-of-way. Federal and state funds are proposed for use towards the construction of this project.

The environmental document and preliminary design plans are available to view prior to the public hearing at the following locations:
1.   St. John Branch of the Lake Co. Public Library, 9450 Wicker Ave., St. John, IN 46373         Phone# (219) 365-5379
2.   INDOT LaPorte District at 315 E. Boyd Rd., LaPorte, IN  46350, Phone # (855) 463-6848
3.    Hearings Examiner, Room N642-COM of the IGCN, 100 North Senate Ave., Indianapolis, IN         46204 2216, Phone # (317) 234-0796

Public statements for the record will be taken as part of the public hearing procedure. All verbal statements recorded during the public hearing and all written comments submitted prior to, during and for a period of two (2) weeks following the hearing date, will be evaluated, considered and addressed in subsequent environmental documentation. Verbal comments may be restricted to time limitations based on the number of speakers. Written comments in regard to the project may be submitted prior to the public hearing and within the comment period to: INDOT Public Hearings, IGCN Room N642, 100 North Senate Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46204.

With advance notice, INDOT can provide accommodation for persons with disabilities and/or limited English speaking ability and persons needing auxiliary aids or services such as interpreters, signers, readers, or large print.  Should accommodation be needed please contact Rickie Clark, Office of Public Involvement at (317) 232-6601, or email rclark@indot.in.gov.

nwi_navigator_1181

The stretch of US 20 between I-94 and Indiana 2 has been a major point of contention, with all the accidents (preventable as they are). Coupled with the current resurfacing and centerline rumble strips, that should alleviate some of the issues, though no amount of safety measures will matter until they address the increasing stupidity/ignorance of the average driver.

I will say similar work that was done to the Indiana 49-Vale Park Road intersection (now interchange) has definitely improved the safety and flow of that small stretch, so there is precedent.

As for US 41 in St. John, that section of road could use the love. There's a plaza in the area that have non-lighted entrances, so imagine pulling off a left turn in the middle of an area that has speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. Sucks they will have to rip up that freshly laid pavement, but it's a necessary evil.

Indiana 51 is the latest road to have centerline rumble strips installed as part of its rehabilitation project from at least 61st Avenue to US 30. I didn't even know that was part of the work and it is a pleasant surprise.

One more quick note: crews are now resurfacing the remaining unfinished portion of the US 231 overpass on I-65, which means traffic have shifted to the inside. Because of this, the northbound lanes are separated by the median (left lane is sharing the southbound bridge). Be cautious if you're merging onto northbound I-65 from US 231. It's disorienting because it looks like you're going straight into traffic, but you're not. There's plenty of time to merge, then all lanes fuse together north of the bridge.

silverback1065

it makes no sense for US 20 and SR 2 swapping routes there, they should be reversed. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 18, 2018, 12:28:03 AM
The stretch of US 20 between I-94 and Indiana 2 has been a major point of contention, with all the accidents (preventable as they are). Coupled with the current resurfacing and centerline rumble strips, that should alleviate some of the issues, though no amount of safety measures will matter until they address the increasing stupidity/ignorance of the average driver.

I will say similar work that was done to the Indiana 49-Vale Park Road intersection (now interchange) has definitely improved the safety and flow of that small stretch, so there is precedent.

As for US 41 in St. John, that section of road could use the love. There's a plaza in the area that have non-lighted entrances, so imagine pulling off a left turn in the middle of an area that has speed limits between 45 and 55 mph. Sucks they will have to rip up that freshly laid pavement, but it's a necessary evil.

Indiana 51 is the latest road to have centerline rumble strips installed as part of its rehabilitation project from at least 61st Avenue to US 30. I didn't even know that was part of the work and it is a pleasant surprise.

One more quick note: crews are now resurfacing the remaining unfinished portion of the US 231 overpass on I-65, which means traffic have shifted to the inside. Because of this, the northbound lanes are separated by the median (left lane is sharing the southbound bridge). Be cautious if you're merging onto northbound I-65 from US 231. It's disorienting because it looks like you're going straight into traffic, but you're not. There's plenty of time to merge, then all lanes fuse together north of the bridge.

I drive 20/2 between Michigan City and South Bend several times a year.  The number of people who putt along in the left lane at or below the speed limit with no cars in sight in the right lane is astounding.  I see why there are a lot of accidents. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 18, 2018, 07:41:20 AM
it makes no sense for US 20 and SR 2 swapping routes there, they should be reversed. 

The only thing I can figure is that the current routing of 20 is more or less the routing of the old Michigan Road and that's why it hasn't gotten switched.  If they're going to construct an interchange that would be an ideal time to make the switch though.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2018, 09:05:31 AM

The only thing I can figure is that the current routing of 20 is more or less the routing of the old Michigan Road and that's why it hasn't gotten switched.  If they're going to construct an interchange that would be an ideal time to make the switch though.

It would make a lot of sense. Indiana 2 would still end at the Valley Parkway, and US 20 would still be defaulted onto the Parkway, just two miles further south and not crossing the road it left (or is about to join) about 10 miles west. By now, I'm sure all references to US 20 within the South Bend-Mishawaka limits have been removed (I saw them before, but that was way back in 2008), so that would make the switch feasible. The mileage difference would be negligible, so no need to redo the mileposts.

When control cities are assigned at this interchange, the one thing I'd do (assuming alignments are switched to where Indiana 2 and US 20 stay on their physical roads) is give Elkhart to US 20 eastbound. Indiana 2 east would serve a more direct feed to downtown South Bend and its major transit centers. Plus, US 20 goes beyond the area whereas Indiana 2 does not, so assigning a further away control city would be ideal.

theline

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 18, 2018, 07:07:53 PM
By now, I'm sure all references to US 20 within the South Bend-Mishawaka limits have been removed (I saw them before, but that was way back in 2008), so that would make the switch feasible.
(Emphasis added.)

Not exactly.

Here's an old one: https://goo.gl/maps/ao8DbTQm2S42. Note that this sign never got updated to Business 20. It's probably the only one left in downtown SB. Most route markers have disappeared under the Smart Streets project. This one will likely disappear soon.

Multiple Business 20 shields (like these) are posted on the east side of South Bend, where the route jogs from Colfax to McKinley via Jacobs St. These signs are quite new. They are likely to remain, since they mark the primary route between downtown South Bend and the near-northside Mishawaka business district.

More signs at corner of McKinley and Ironwood Dr.: https://goo.gl/maps/cA2tyBfvK4F2.

At Main St. (formerly SR 331) in Mishawaka (I couldn't get GSV zoomed in any better): https://goo.gl/maps/s3566RUtAe42.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 18, 2018, 09:05:31 AM

It would make a lot of sense. Indiana 2 would still end at the Valley Parkway, and US 20 would still be defaulted onto the Parkway, just two miles further south and not crossing the road it left (or is about to join) about 10 miles west. By now, I'm sure all references to US 20 within the South Bend-Mishawaka limits have been removed (I saw them before, but that was way back in 2008), so that would make the switch feasible. The mileage difference would be negligible, so no need to redo the mileposts.

When control cities are assigned at this interchange, the one thing I'd do (assuming alignments are switched to where Indiana 2 and US 20 stay on their physical roads) is give Elkhart to US 20 eastbound. Indiana 2 east would serve a more direct feed to downtown South Bend and its major transit centers. Plus, US 20 goes beyond the area whereas Indiana 2 does not, so assigning a further away control city would be ideal.

Even if they don't swap the routes, because of tradition or laziness or whatever, they should still at least fix the control cities on the bypass exits.  Right now, Michigan City is signed at 20 and LaPorte at 2, but the fastest way to get to either is via 2.  The only control "city" for 20 should be New Carlisle.  Going to New Carlisle or wanting to follow the Old Michigan Road are really the only reasons to take 20 instead of 2. 

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on July 19, 2018, 03:13:54 AM
By now, I'm sure all references to US 20 within the South Bend-Mishawaka limits have been removed (I saw them before, but that was way back in 2008), so that would make the switch feasible.
(Emphasis added.)

Not exactly.

Here's an old one: https://goo.gl/maps/ao8DbTQm2S42. Note that this sign never got updated to Business 20. It's probably the only one left in downtown SB. Most route markers have disappeared under the Smart Streets project. This one will likely disappear soon.

Multiple Business 20 shields (like these) are posted on the east side of South Bend, where the route jogs from Colfax to McKinley via Jacobs St. These signs are quite new. They are likely to remain, since they mark the primary route between downtown South Bend and the near-northside Mishawaka business district.

More signs at corner of McKinley and Ironwood Dr.: https://goo.gl/maps/cA2tyBfvK4F2.

At Main St. (formerly SR 331) in Mishawaka (I couldn't get GSV zoomed in any better): https://goo.gl/maps/s3566RUtAe42.

before that project Business US 31 and 20 were actually well signed, and easily followed.  I bet if someone asked, they would actually put signs back up.  Things like that are afterthoughts, not many designers are also roadgeeks unfortunately!

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 19, 2018, 09:13:47 AMEven if they don't swap the routes, because of tradition or laziness or whatever, they should still at least fix the control cities on the bypass exits.  Right now, Michigan City is signed at 20 and LaPorte at 2, but the fastest way to get to either is via 2.  The only control "city" for 20 should be New Carlisle.  Going to New Carlisle or wanting to follow the Old Michigan Road are really the only reasons to take 20 instead of 2.

I was never a fan of assigning the control city of Michigan City to US 20 west in that area, for the same reason. Maybe I would assign Michigan City for US 20 West only for southbound traffic, for the sole reason that this exit is first, but Indiana 2 would get the priority.

Also, I'm not a fan of simply using "South Bend"  for the exits going into the city. I think it's well established that South Bend is the next chain of exits between the US 31 separation and the Michigan State Line (Toll Road excluded), so it wouldn't hurt to be more specific. At the Indiana 2 cloverleaf, I would simply use "EAST Western Ave.,"  and then would use "Lincolnway, Airport"  for the US 20 cloverleaf. Both lead to downtown, but establish each road's respective purpose.

theline

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 19, 2018, 09:19:39 AM
before that project Business US 31 and 20 were actually well signed, and easily followed.  I bet if someone asked, they would actually put signs back up.  Things like that are afterthoughts, not many designers are also roadgeeks unfortunately!

I'll take that as a challenge. I'll contact Mayor Pete or his people and see what I can do. I think signage on the Lincolnway portion of BR 20 was also mostly removed when it got the "streetscape" treatment. I'll mention that too.

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 19, 2018, 08:16:06 PM
Also, I'm not a fan of simply using "South Bend"  for the exits going into the city. I think it's well established that South Bend is the next chain of exits between the US 31 separation and the Michigan State Line (Toll Road excluded), so it wouldn't hurt to be more specific. At the Indiana 2 cloverleaf, I would simply use "EAST Western Ave.,"  and then would use "Lincolnway, Airport"  for the US 20 cloverleaf. Both lead to downtown, but establish each road's respective purpose.

I've always thought that the exits going into the city were poorly marked. Your suggestions are good. I'd also add exit numbers. I've got no idea why they've not been used. The only question would be whether to use US-20 mileage or US-31 mileage for the exit numbers for the multiplex area. Currently, US-20 mileage is used on the mile markers.

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on July 20, 2018, 01:23:47 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 19, 2018, 09:19:39 AM

I'll take that as a challenge. I'll contact Mayor Pete or his people and see what I can do. I think signage on the Lincolnway portion of BR 20 was also mostly removed when it got the "streetscape" treatment. I'll mention that too.

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on July 19, 2018, 08:16:06 PM

I've always thought that the exits going into the city were poorly marked. Your suggestions are good. I'd also add exit numbers. I've got no idea why they've not been used. The only question would be whether to use US-20 mileage or US-31 mileage for the exit numbers for the multiplex area. Currently, US-20 mileage is used on the mile markers.

Good! let us know what you hear from the city! 

Also, I'm not sure why they didn't add exit numbers when they finished the bypass a few years ago.

nwi_navigator_1181

I know someone brought this up not too long ago, so this will be good news for Michigan City drivers. Next week, work will begin on US 20 from (Laporte/Porter) County Line Road to the Indiana 212/US 35 cloverleaf. There will be continuous lane closures and reduced speed limits throughout the zone. Work is scheduled to last through October.

Also, the ramp from the westbound Toll Road to Lake Station is reopen, as of today.

Regarding adding exit tabs to the US 20/31 bypass, I wouldn't be surprised if INDOT revisited this topic in light of the recent freeway conversions of US 31 further downstate. I think the US 31 portion would get the tabs, but I think they cut it off where US 20 stands alone.

tdindy88

Speaking of the exit signs around the South Bend area. It's been my observation that within urban areas of Indiana the signage usually just mentions the route number and the street name with no control cities. It's this way along I-465 around Indianapolis, I-80/94 in Northwest Indiana and I-69 through Fort Wayne. Control cities receive auxiliary sign status approaching their respective exits. I wonder if perhaps a changeover to this style along the bypass around South Bend could happen in respect to all the other ideas shared here.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that they don't use the exit numbers for the US 31 part of the bypass already to match up to the rest of the highway. As well as assign exit numbers to the US 24 and SR 25 interchanges along US 31 near Peru and Rochester respectively.

silverback1065

INDOT says the SR 61 Boonville Bypass will be open next month.  Not sure why that ties into the 261 intersection and not the 61 intersection with 62.  Probably property issues.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.