News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Counties without stoplights

Started by ftballfan, December 31, 2012, 03:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 31, 2012, 07:13:17 PM
AFAIK, these Virginia Counties still do not have a stoplight:
Highland Co, VA
Charles City Co, VA
Mathews Co, VA
Fluvanna Co, VA
Craig Co, VA
Bath Co, VA
Cumberland Co, VA

Some Virginia Counties have just one:
Floyd Co
King and Queen Co
Nelson Co

Mapmikey
One of my friends from college told me that Fluvanna County has one now for a CVS. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Brandon

Last time I was there, Keweenaw County, MI.  The northernmost permanent signal (other than used for bridge repairs) is in Calumet/Laurium in Houghton County.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

KEK Inc.

Trinity County in California.  I drove through there a few years ago, and I saw a temporary construction signal, but that doesn't count.  I can't find it on streetview.  (It was the Southern junction with CA-299 and CA-3).

They do have their own bus service, though. 
Take the road less traveled.

golden eagle

I don't know if any in MS, but I'm willing to bet one or two don't have them. It wouldn't shock me if Sharkey and Issaquena counties are among them.

Takumi

Charles City County still only has a flashing beacon at VA 5/106/156.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

I don't remember any in Boise City, which would mean that Cimarron County, OK would have none.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tdindy88

Crawford and Ohio counties in Indiana are the only ones I can think of. Benton, Warren and Switzerland counties have one stoplight each.

roadman65

Quote from: wxfree on December 31, 2012, 06:04:14 PM
In Texas: Terrell, Jeff Davis, Motley, Borden (in addition to Loving, already mentioned).
Also Kenedy County South of Corpus Christi has none.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 31, 2012, 03:41:28 PM
Union County, NM has seven.  one is in downtown Clayton, the county seat.  the other six belong to a friend of mine.

:-D

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: Zmapper on December 31, 2012, 03:46:34 PM
Jackson County, home to Walden, is the only county in Colorado without a traffic signal.
Baca, Crowley, Kiowa, Cheyenne neither.

EDIT: Also, add Costilla, Conejos, Mineral, Hinsdale, Saguache and Dolores to that list.

And almost in my back yard, Custer.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ftballfan

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 31, 2012, 04:04:29 PM
Putnam Co IL, Stark Co IL, Adams Co WI, Calumet Co WI and Cherry Co NE to the best of my knowledge do not have a single stoplight. About 15 years ago or so, Marquette Co WI and Green Lake Co WI were also on that list.

Cherry Co NE has stoplights now, according to StreetView

Duke87

I do believe Dukes County, MA (a.k.a. Martha's Vineyard) and Nantucket County, MA both fit into this category.

Both also fall into a smaller club: counties with no signed state highways.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on January 01, 2013, 02:53:05 PM
I do believe Dukes County, MA (a.k.a. Martha's Vineyard) and Nantucket County, MA both fit into this category.

Both also fall into a smaller club: counties with no signed state highways.

Alaska has eight boroughs (Northwest Arctic, Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, Bristol Bay, Kodiak Island, Sitka, Yakutat, Wrangell) and seven census areas (Aleutians West, Nome, Bethel, Wade Hampton, Dillingham, Hoonah-Angoon, Prince of Wales-Hyder) with no signed, numbered state highways.  Most or all of them have state-maintained roads, since the state maintains most significant roads and many insignificant ones in Alaska; but the network with signed route numbers is pretty small.  Some of these county equivalents without numbered state highways have at least one stoplight.   

Hawaii's Kalawao County has neither stoplights nor numbered routes. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

mcdonaat

Quote from: golden eagle on December 31, 2012, 09:13:41 PM
I don't know if any in MS, but I'm willing to bet one or two don't have them. It wouldn't shock me if Sharkey and Issaquena counties are among them.
Leaning towards Wilkinson County

cpzilliacus

Quote from: oscar on January 01, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
Alaska has eight boroughs (Northwest Arctic, Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, Bristol Bay, Kodiak Island, Sitka, Yakutat, Wrangell) and seven census areas (Aleutians West, Nome, Bethel, Wade Hampton, Dillingham, Hoonah-Angoon, Prince of Wales-Hyder) with no signed, numbered state highways.  Most or all of them have state-maintained roads, since the state maintains most significant roads and many insignificant ones in Alaska; but the network with signed route numbers is pretty small.

At least some of those Alaska boroughs are not (directly) connected to the North American highway network, correct?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 01, 2013, 07:47:32 PM
Quote from: oscar on January 01, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
Alaska has eight boroughs (Northwest Arctic, Aleutians East, Lake and Peninsula, Bristol Bay, Kodiak Island, Sitka, Yakutat, Wrangell) and seven census areas (Aleutians West, Nome, Bethel, Wade Hampton, Dillingham, Hoonah-Angoon, Prince of Wales-Hyder) with no signed, numbered state highways.  Most or all of them have state-maintained roads, since the state maintains most significant roads and many insignificant ones in Alaska; but the network with signed route numbers is pretty small.

At least some of those Alaska boroughs are not (directly) connected to the North American highway network, correct?

Aside from the ones connected only by auto ferry, Prince of Wales-Hyder has a local road connection in Hyder to BC 37A at the Canadian border.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JCinSummerfield

It's been a while, but I thought there was a stop ight in Eagle River (Keweenaw County), MI.

Brandon

Quote from: JCinSummerfield on January 02, 2013, 01:51:55 PM
It's been a while, but I thought there was a stop ight in Eagle River (Keweenaw County), MI.

Nope.  There are no permanent signals in Keweenaw County,  There are sometimes temporary ones for bridge repairs and the like, and there is a flashing red at US-41 and M-26 in Copper Harbor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

DTComposer

Last time I was there, Alpine County, CA did not have any signals.

NWI_Irish96

I've never seen any definitive list for Indiana, but the best I can figure, Crawford, Fountain, and Ohio counties are all without stop lights.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

I grew up in a county with no stoplight except an overhead flashing yellow:  Rawlins County, Kansas.  In fact, our house was 28 miles from the nearest stoplight (a distance I once drove in 15 or 16 minutes at night in the fog).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mukade

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 02, 2013, 04:47:12 PM
I've never seen any definitive list for Indiana, but the best I can figure, Crawford, Fountain, and Ohio counties are all without stop lights.

Attica in Fountain County has at least two stoplights. I would agree on Crawford and Ohio Counties.

I wouldn't think that Warren County has any.

roadman65

Living in New Jersey, I do not think there was any county in the 20th Century that had none.  I do not think any county in the Mid Atlantic Region near the big cities had not one place that had at least a few except for Pike County, PA where the Borough of Milford had its one and only stoplight up until the 90's when Wal Mart and Home Depot opened stores in Matomoras.  For the longest time as a child, I remember that US 6 had only one signal between Indian Orchard, PA and Port Jervis, NY.

In addition, the original US 6 & US 209 signal in Milford was side mounted and the signal heads were green, as Pennsylvania always used yellow.  I always wondered about that, as a kid, I always used to think the colors of the signals were statewide used in every state except NY that always used yellow in NYC on the double guy arms and the green span wires elsewhere.  Also, side mounted in PA was only used in Southeast Philadelphia back at that particular time as overhead assemblies ruled there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

doorknob60

In Oregon, I'm pretty sure Gilliam, Lake, Sherman, Wallowa, and Wheeler Counties have no stoplights. There's probably a few more, but I don't feel like checking right now :P

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on January 02, 2013, 06:16:08 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on January 02, 2013, 04:47:12 PM

Attica in Fountain County has at least two stoplights. I would agree on Crawford and Ohio Counties.

I wouldn't think that Warren County has any.

Forgot about Attica for Fountain County.  In Warren County, US41/IN55 intersection has a stop light. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.