News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

JMoses24's Road Pictures

Started by JMoses24, January 20, 2013, 04:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMoses24

I will be posting my road photos in this here thread. Many of these will be from the pedestrian perspective. I do not drive. (It's a long story, but the short version: I'm paralyzed below my waist, and have issues with hand tremors, which are treated like seizures by the state.)

I'll start it with some scenes from my hometown of Florence, KY.

Non-cutout I-71/75 signage. This is roughly half a mile before you reach the ramps between Mall Road and the interstate, which is only a half interchange because you cannot access I-71/75 South from Mall Road, nor is there direct access from I-75/71 North to Mall Road.

Look, it's a state name shield for I-75! I-71/75 at the Kentucky Route 18 interchange. There are several more state name shields at this interchange (at least four, maybe a couple more).

JMoses24

I also put this in the "Worst of Road Signs" Thread, but I wanted to place it here, too. This is at the intersection of KY 18 and Mall Road. What's up with this font? Is this just the really bold standard font, or does this not belong here?

formulanone

Quote from: JMoses24 on January 20, 2013, 04:45:09 AM
I'll start it with some scenes from my hometown of Florence, KY.

Non-cutout I-71/75 signage. This is roughly half a mile before you reach the ramps between Mall Road and the interstate, which is only a half interchange because you cannot access I-71/75 South from Mall Road, nor is there direct access from I-75/71 North to Mall Road.

I saw a number of those around the various construction areas around Florence back in October, there seems to be no lack of reminders that there's an interstate nearby.

QuoteMany of these will be from the pedestrian perspective. I do not drive. (It's a long story, but the short version: I'm paralyzed below my waist, and have issues with hand tremors, which are treated like seizures by the state.)

...now I feel guilty that I don't get out of my car enough when a' travelling (although usually most of my roading about comes on Mondays, when I either have to get to my weekly work assignment, or Fridays, with a possible race-to-the-clock to make my flight on time).

JMoses24

Quote from: formulanone on January 21, 2013, 09:33:57 PM
...now I feel guilty that I don't get out of my car enough when a' travelling (although usually most of my roading about comes on Mondays, when I either have to get to my weekly work assignment, or Fridays, with a possible race-to-the-clock to make my flight on time).

No need to feel guilty. We all have different ways to do our roadgeeking. The majority of mine just happens to be done by wheelchair or bus. Which, in fact, I did a bit of this today in Cincinnati and will post the photos at some point in the next couple days.

JMoses24

A few recent photos taken from the roads of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. The first two were taken last Wednesday, as my brother and I drove from Florence to Sharonville, Ohio and back.

I-75 between Dixie Highway and Kyles Lane.

A little further up, this is the view coming down the hill toward downtown. This will change as the Brent Spence reconstruction begins this decade.

This last one was taken Saturday, and is a photo taken from a Cincinnati Metro bus. It's at the interchange between I-75, Central Parkway (aka US 27/US 127), and I-74.

JMoses24

I took several photos this afternoon while running a couple of errands. All of these were taken in a couple of blocks in Florence.

First up: Gah. A bad sign on KY 18 near my old high school.

Obviously, this is more the normal style, just a few hundred feet away:

The city of Florence is fond of doing this with road construction signs, where the construction is actually on a nearby street:

This used to be a named street, believe it or not. It was called Shawn Alexander Way in honor of the former Seahawk.

I think this sign needs to be fixed. I'm going to let Florence Public Works know about it tomorrow, but as of 6PM, it was hanging this way.

kphoger

Quote from: JMoses24 on January 20, 2013, 04:54:51 AM
I also put this in the "Worst of Road Signs" Thread, but I wanted to place it here, too. This is at the intersection of KY 18 and Mall Road. What's up with this font? Is this just the really bold standard font, or does this not belong here?

Anyone??

I'm not a fonts guy, but looks like an official series to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

JMoses24

Quote from: formulanone on April 02, 2013, 03:22:29 PM
I think it's Series F.

It was established to me that yes, it appears to be Series F.

I still don't know what the font on the A. W. Neltner Way sign was. My guess would have been all caps Arial.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: kphoger on April 02, 2013, 03:14:26 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on January 20, 2013, 04:54:51 AM

Anyone??

I'm not a fonts guy, but looks like an official series to me.

Definitely Series F seeing how wide the "8" is for example. That's quite a rarity for route shields of any kind using Series F. I can tell the difference with E Modified to F in the thickness and stroke of the "8".
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

JMoses24

These three images were taken this afternoon.

I-75 and KY 18 shields near the Walmart on Houston Road. Yep, that's a state name shield.

These next two were recent installs. Besides being Clearview, they outline destinations in nearby Burlington pretty well.

JMoses24

Several recent photos here. I apologize, the first two are blurry as all hell.  :banghead: I will likely get out there and replace those two photos this weekend.

This was taken one night last week. Turfway Road at I-75/71. This is an interesting interchange. The left lane of Southbound (technically westbound) Turfway physically splits off and becomes two lanes to the ramp to I-75/71 North, actually going between the through lanes of Turfway, as seen here:

Next is this very recent (in the last week) install of I-75 and I-71 shields, this is east of the location of the third photo in this thread, coming off Mall Road:

Lastly is this. Too much whitespace on this sign... Dixie Highway at Goodridge Drive. More a sign for pedestrians than for drivers, though.

JMoses24

I am adding multiple photos, taken this morning (10-1-13), as myself and my friend Jessica scouted a location for the upcoming Cincinnati meet. Big thanks go to her for indulging my interest in roadgeeking.

First two are from Point Pleasant Road in northern Boone County, Kentucky. Notice that this is not a 2 lane road. It's barely wide enough for ONE car.

The rest of these are various locations along I-75 in Hamilton County.

Most of the photos above are approaching Hopple Street (Exit 3) and I-74 (Exit 4). These are being reconstructed as part of the Mill Creek Expressway project from the Western Hills Viaduct at exit 2 to Paddock Road (Exit 9).

The one above is as we left the location in Lockland. I barely got it, but I am fairly sure that's a button copy I-75 sign over there on the other side of the intersection of Shepherd Lane and Lockland Road, just north of the terminus of I-75 Exit 13's southbound ramps.

This one is of southbound Exit 12, the Reading/Lockland exit. This is slated to be shut down as a result of the "Through the Valley" project in the next 10 years.

Southbound Exit 10, Ronald Reagan Highway (OH State Route 126)/Galbraith Road. This is also likely to be reconstructed as part of the Through the Valley project.

Approaching exit 9 (Paddock Road).

JMoses24

Several more photos from yesterday. I have brightened a couple of these due to the dreary skies yesterday.

Some (somewhat?) new signage was installed over I-471 Southbound at the KY 8 exit the weekend of September 27-30. A better view will be had on the upcoming Cincinnati meet but I took some photos from the riverfront in the meantime. The first is from Newport, below the I-471 bridge.

The middle sign on this sign bridge reads "Newport/Bellevue Next 2 Exits". That was also installed over the September 27-30 weekend. This is looking up from the Cincinnati riverfront. Again, I could get better photos of these during the upcoming meet.

These next few are various scenes from downtown Covington and Newport. Note the damaged/slightly misaligned I-75 and KY 17 signs in the first photo, taken at Fourth and Greenup Streets in downtown Covington. The latter three are from Fourth Street in Newport approaching the Veterans Memorial Bridge carrying KY 8 over the Licking River.

This one, I'm singling out. Shouldn't these TO banners be blue? Fourth and Columbia Streets, Newport, KY.

JMoses24

Posted this in the "Erroneous Signs" thread, but since I took the photo, I'm posting it here, too. This photo was taken this morning. I had some time to kill, and was snapping some photos of road-related things. In this photo, I'm on Eastbound Third Street approaching the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, which carries US 42 and...Ohio 127?!? No, that should be US 127.

This also serves as the northern terminus of US 25.

mass_citizen

Does the blue SOUTH banner apply to all 4 route designations?  Seems confusing. At a minimum the white shields should have their own black on white banner.

JMoses24

Quote from: mass_citizen on October 07, 2013, 04:21:32 PM
Does the blue SOUTH banner apply to all 4 route designations?  Seems confusing. At a minimum the white shields should have their own black on white banner.

US 42 confuses things by going from East/West in Kentucky to North/South in Ohio. Otherwise, the other three are north-south.

amroad17

I-75 and I-71 should have a "TO" or an "ALT" banner above them.  However, I have seen signs such as this since I moved here in 1994.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

JMoses24

Taken from a TANK bus 11/29. These shields are huge, the arrows are way small. About the only thing to spec seems to be the "TO" signage. This is grainy, which I apologize for. Again...bus.

JMoses24

These photos were taken during the Cincinnati Road Meet.

An old "End of County Maintenance" sign on Covert Run Pike in Bellevue, KY.

The south terminus of I-471 at US 27, Highland Heights, KY.

Checking out the Waldvogel Viaduct work. First view from the viaduct itself, second from Olden View Park, looking west toward downtown Cincinnati. (Others probably got better photos than I of the latter.)

Here's some button copy. I-75 at Mitchell Avenue in Cincinnati.

Traveling east on the Norwood Lateral, OH SR 562. First photo is at the exit for US 42, second photo at Montgomery Road approaching the road's eastern terminus.

Heading home. I-75/71 at Dixie Highway in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky.

mass_citizen

interesting that the i-75 sign support doubles as a wire support. havent seen that before.

JMoses24

Quote from: mass_citizen on December 09, 2013, 02:09:48 AM
interesting that the i-75 sign support doubles as a wire support. havent seen that before.

I believe that is a temporary condition with the construction in the interchange.

JMoses24

Some new photos will be forthcoming today, as there have been some changes to the state route system in my county. To wit:

1) Aero Parkway has been designated as an extension of KY 1017 to the west of Florence.
2) In turn, they also took KY 717 and extended that designation up Turfway Road over the former KY 1017 to the north of Florence, also multiplexed with 1017 for a short distance between its former ending at Turfway and the east end of Aero Parkway.
3) Another road, Ted Bushelman Blvd, has been designated in totality as KY 3159.

amroad17

Good to hear from you again.  In fact, just yesterday my wife asked if you had posted anything recently.  I told her that, no, I had not seen any posts from you for a couple of months, probably due to our weather situation for the past few weeks and that you are not able to "just get out" due to you being in a wheelchair.

These are excellent changes as more drivers are taking Aero Pkwy from Florence to Burlington (and vice versa).  It is a great way to avoid the Florence Mall traffic on KY 18 and the Wal-Mart/Meijer traffic on Houston Road.

So, will KY 1017 still retain its North/South designation even though you will be heading south on Aero (and KY 1017 would be designated North) toward KY 18 or will it be East/West? 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on March 14, 2014, 10:05:25 AM
Some new photos will be forthcoming today, as there have been some changes to the state route system in my county. To wit:

1) Aero Parkway has been designated as an extension of KY 1017 to the west of Florence.
2) In turn, they also took KY 717 and extended that designation up Turfway Road over the former KY 1017 to the north of Florence, also multiplexed with 1017 for a short distance between its former ending at Turfway and the east end of Aero Parkway.
3) Another road, Ted Bushelman Blvd, has been designated in totality as KY 3159.

I saw your interaction with my friend and colleague Nancy on the Facebook page. :-)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.