News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

German Autobahns

Started by Chris, May 03, 2009, 07:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

how come Anger didn't get a sign?

also, the eastbound lanes seem to have a far more modern ramp system than the westbound.  Were the two built at different times?  A lot of the exits seem to be of 1940s specification!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

treichard

Recently I took a close look (in Google Maps, not in person) at the autobahnen system.    There's also a great hobbyist reference site at
http://www.autobahnatlas-online.de/index_e.html 

There are lots of plans to "finish" much of the system now and in the next decade, to fill in the gaps between pieces of like-numbered freeways and add a handful of new ones. There are a few routes still in many pieces, like A44.

A98 is another.  A new piece popped up on Yahoo Maps:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=47.562944&lon=8.018065&zoom=15
But it's marked in a thin, gray line like it's the quality of a minor city street.  Is that piece already opened and also designated A98?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

allniter89

QuoteThis is actually an unsigned exit. Notice the merging lanes are no longer than 4 dashes of paint!
Yep, and notice the dual tire (truck) skid marks  :pan:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

DAL764

Quote from: treichard on October 12, 2009, 05:53:17 PMThere are lots of plans to "finish" much of the system now and in the next decade, to fill in the gaps between pieces of like-numbered freeways and add a handful of new ones. There are a few routes still in many pieces, like A44.
Though when, or IF, those gaps are filled still remains to be seen, because a) they cost a sh!tload of money, and b) the number of NIMBYs and treehuggers is ever growing in this country. Hence why I predict that the A44 will NEVER be completed as one Autobahn.

Quote from: treichard on October 12, 2009, 05:53:17 PMA98 is another.  A new piece popped up on Yahoo Maps:
http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=47.562944&lon=8.018065&zoom=15
But it's marked in a thin, gray line like it's the quality of a minor city street.  Is that piece already opened and also designated A98?
It's open to construction crews  :-P . Actually, that part of the A98 isn't supposed to open before summer 2011, and even then it will only be as a Super 2 instead of a full Autobahn. And what I said about the A44 never being completed applies even more so to the A98.

NJRoadfan

Driving the A8 is kinda like driving around NJ/NY on the older (non) freeways. No shoulders, lots of traffic, sharp curves, and everyone is doing 75mph (even though the speed limit is 45-50mph).

simguy228

You have taught me something. As I look at those Autobahn pics, Germans are RHD! I am German and went to Germany to see my unknown cousins. The last time I went there was about 2-3 months ago... :clap:

[Removed excess smileys. -S.]

[Fixed spelling.  Changed your purple to something more readable. -S2.]
Lovable. Truthful. Great, SC4
[acronym=Simple Machines Forum]SMF[/acronym]

Scott5114

You, uh, didn't notice while you were there?  :hmmm:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

shoptb1

I love driving the A8, especially down in lower Bavaria near Austria.  And yeah, it does remind me of the older sections of Turnpike in PA/NJ. 

One thing that I also really like about the Autobahn systems are the Interchange Countdown markers.  I'm surprised that this feature wasn't mentioned in the initial posting.  Since the Autobahns were designed for higher-speed driving, these markers are arranged so that you can know (in a glance) how far you are from the next exit. 

These markers are placed 300 meters (3 stripes), 200 meters (2 stripes), and 100 meters (1 stripe) before each exit.  In addition, the interchange number appears atop the 300 meter marker.  It's a very well-designed feature...and every time I'm in Europe I always think this would be a great addition to the American MUTCD.  I just won't hold my breath.   :spin:

njroadhorse

Quote from: shoptb1 on December 22, 2009, 07:21:47 PM
One thing that I also really like about the Autobahn systems are the Interchange Countdown markers.  I'm surprised that this feature wasn't mentioned in the initial posting.  Since the Autobahns were designed for higher-speed driving, these markers are arranged so that you can know (in a glance) how far you are from the next exit. 

These markers are placed 300 meters (3 stripes), 200 meters (2 stripes), and 100 meters (1 stripe) before each exit.  In addition, the interchange number appears atop the 300 meter marker.  It's a very well-designed feature...and every time I'm in Europe I always think this would be a great addition to the American MUTCD.  I just won't hold my breath.   :spin:

They do this in Britain along the motorways and motorway-grade sections of roads.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Truvelo

Ireland have them also. There may be other countries that use them I've never been to.

In Britain there is a tendency to place them a bit further ahead of where they should be. The final sign with one stripe is often placed more than 100yds before the exit lane appears in recent installations.
Speed limits limit life

yacoded

Most countries in Europe do the countdown numbers.  We should have them here.  The UK uses the imperial system so that's why they use yards instead of metres.  Personally I like the Metric system but that's a whole new can of worms. 
Why can't we just connect everything and everbody

Chris

The A38 Autobahn has now been fully completed. It is one of the major public works projects to connect Eastern Germany with Western Germany, the A38 runs from Göttingen via Halle to Leipzig. It will shorten the distance from southern Poland to the Ruhr metropolis by 30 kilometers (20 miles).

It is also a much better road in terms of design criteria, as the A4 between Bad Hersfeld and Eisenach is still a 1930's antiquated Autobahn with lack of shoulders and low bridges.

some pics of A4:

agentsteel53

I love how the speed limit is 120 (about 72mph) on the A4.  In the US, they'd slap a 55 or a 50 mph on there in no time.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

130 km/h (80 mph) is also common on such roads, but it depends on which state you're in. Some states have 120 km/h, others have 130 km/h. I don't really know why this difference exists.

agentsteel53

how much independence do the German states have?  I know it's a federal republic but beyond that I have no idea.  In the US, all states are, I believe, free to set speed limits as they see fit.  There was a federal speed limit of 55mph from 1973 to the late 90s but as far as I know, all the restrictions are off.

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

There is some freedom, for instance the 120/130 km/h difference, and signage can be somewhat different, especially the state of Hessen is known for this. But the general speed limit outside city limits is 100 km/h unless posted otherwise and 50 km/h within city limits unless posted otherwise. Some people can see which state an Autobahn is in just by it's crash barriers, although I don't notice that.

agentsteel53

do you have any examples of Hessen signage?  I'm familiar with the general German blue signs so now I'm curious how different Hessen is.

jake@aaroads.com

shoptb1

I love the sign denoting the historical inner-German border (between East and West).  cool stuff!

Chris

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 24, 2009, 06:06:22 AM
do you have any examples of Hessen signage?  I'm familiar with the general German blue signs so now I'm curious how different Hessen is.

For instance;

1. Hessen: left aligned and note the arrows:

2. Rheinland-Pfalz: center aligned.

agentsteel53

thanks for the picture!  not as radically different as I had envisioned; there are similar amounts of variety in the US.

here I thought you'd show me a black sign or something  :-D

jake@aaroads.com

mgk920

Quote from: shoptb1 on December 24, 2009, 06:32:25 AM
I love the sign denoting the historical inner-German border (between East and West).  cool stuff!
The A4 crossed that border three times in quick succession in that area.  Two of those crossings were cut off by the 'Wall' with traffic having to detour around it on local surface roads while the third was the official 'transit' checkpoint.  Reconnecting it was one of the first priorities of the German Federal Transport Ministry after the reunification while the checkpoint was, IIRC, converted into a pair of service plazas.  It is fascinating to check out on Google's aerial images.

Mike

Chris

The watchtowers and customs are still there:

Chris

A few more Reichsautobahn pictures of the A9: Berlin -> München (Munich). This section is the last in the A9, as far as I know, and is approximately 15 kilometers (10 miles) long.

1. First, it looks like this. At exit Lederhose.  :)

2. End of the six-lane section.

3. This is the road layout for the next few miles. No shoulder, but they have constructed a barrier in the median.

4. Typical 1930's design; long straight sections, with similar curves every now and then.

5. Interchange Dittersdorf. In Europe, interchange names are more well-known than their numbers in most countries. Most countries have unique exit names for every interchange. Some countries do not number freeway-to-freeway interchanges though (like France and the Netherlands)

6. A slightly improved exit ramp. They used to have a very tight turn directly from the Autobahn with no space to decelerate but on the right lane.

7. Birches along the Autobahn.

8. Yes, that's an 80 mph speed limit on a shoulderless freeway with substandard pavement!  :spin:

9. The Autobahn widens up to six lanes again.

shoptb1

Quote from: Chris on December 29, 2009, 08:37:43 AM
A few more Reichsautobahn pictures of the A9: Berlin -> München (Munich). This section is the last in the A9, as far as I know, and is approximately 15 kilometers (10 miles) long.

Thanks for the photos...this brings back memories.  I remember that the A9 is notoriously congested...so much so that a lot of people prefer to make their trips between Berlin and Muenchen at night to avoid the ridiculous traffic.  Do you know if there are any plans to upgrade this remaining 15km section to 6 lanes?

Chris

I think so.

Generally speaking, the A9 flows very well, but on holiday peak traffic in the summer, it becomes notoriously congested, also in the winter south of Nürnberg (Nuremberg) when half of Germany and the Netherlands go skiing in Austria.

Traffic volumes are generally between 40,000 and 70,000 AADT outside the major urban areas, so that's not so bad for six lanes, but the increase of truck traffic is a problem, especially south of Nürnberg, a lot of truck traffic from A3 joins A9 south here. Sometimes the right lane is occupied by trucks for miles and miles in a row.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.