News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Driving Wishes

Started by Molandfreak, October 31, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

I wish there were such a thing as a dedicated U-turn signal. That way, you know why the guy in front of you is taking his/her time through the turn.

I wish cars could automatically dim their lights via a sensor that detects the lights of other vehicles.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 31, 2013, 04:41:54 PM

I wish cars could automatically dim their lights via a sensor that detects the lights of other vehicles.

nope.  sometimes I'm gonna need those high beams, no matter what.  I do apologize, and I try to need them this badly in only rare instances, but the perfect mix of murky weather and road curves might necessitate it. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hotdogPi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 04:44:26 PM

nope.  sometimes I'm gonna need those high beams, no matter what.  I do apologize, and I try to need them this badly in only rare instances, but the perfect mix of murky weather and road curves might necessitate it.

on/off switch for if this happens automatically
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Molandfreak

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 04:44:26 PM

fog lights?
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SteveG1988

I wish there were such a thing as a dedicated U-turn signal. That way, you know why the guy in front of you is taking his/her time through the turn.

Several models of cars have automatic dimming
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Scott5114

I always thought it might be nice for there to be a straight-ahead signal for those rare situations where you specifically need to emphasize that you are not turning.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

My dad's 57 Chevrolet had one of those.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

- Have the headlights integrated with windshield wipers so that the headlights automatically turn on when the wipers go on
- Have the high beams integrated with the horn (high beams flash when the horn is used). With stereos louder and louder and cars being better insulated from sound, sometimes the horn alone just doesn't cut it.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

realjd

I wish American drivers knew how to signal at roundabouts. If you're turning left, signal left dammit!

DaBigE

Quote from: realjd on November 01, 2013, 12:53:39 AM
I wish American drivers knew how to signal at roundabouts. If you're turning left, signal left dammit!

I could agree when referring to un-striped roundabouts (whole 'nother topic right there). However, when they're fully striped, you only need to signal right, when approaching the exit you are going to depart the roundabout from. The only thing that should matter is what lane the car is in. Since the central island (intentionally, properly) blocks the view of portions of the roundabout, signaling left is ambiguous at best, especially if the roundabout has four or more approaches (how do you know where they entered?). Entering traffic should only be concerned with the traffic immediately to their left...nothing else (except for crossing pedestrians). If drivers are using the lanes as they're marked, signaling left is unnecessary.

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2013, 06:12:24 PM
I always thought it might be nice for there to be a straight-ahead signal for those rare situations where you specifically need to emphasize that you are not turning.

I recall some automaker displayed a concept car in the mid-to-late-1980s with such a feature, since the rear turn signals were arrows that pointed left, right, and straight. I'm completely stumped as to what the make/model was, since it never hit production.

realjd

Quote from: DaBigE on November 01, 2013, 01:01:35 AM

I could agree when referring to un-striped roundabouts (whole 'nother topic right there). However, when they're fully striped, you only need to signal right, when approaching the exit you are going to depart the roundabout from. The only thing that should matter is what lane the car is in. Since the central island (intentionally, properly) blocks the view of portions of the roundabout, signaling left is ambiguous at best, especially if the roundabout has four or more approaches (how do you know where they entered?). Entering traffic should only be concerned with the traffic immediately to their left...nothing else (except for crossing pedestrians). If drivers are using the lanes as they're marked, signaling left is unnecessary.

Here's an example of how the rest of the world does it, from the NSW government:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/internationalinterstate/roundabouts.html

Signaling like that really makes things go more smoothly, even when lanes are marked.

agentsteel53

Quote from: DaBigE on October 31, 2013, 11:05:46 PM
- Have the high beams integrated with the horn (high beams flash when the horn is used). With stereos louder and louder and cars being better insulated from sound, sometimes the horn alone just doesn't cut it.

fuck the horn.  it's the equivalent of walking up to someone's face and going "wassaaaap" (like that old Budweiser commercial) from 3 inches away.

nice garlic breath, asshole.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

DaBigE

Quote from: realjd on November 01, 2013, 08:07:05 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on November 01, 2013, 01:01:35 AM

Here's an example of how the rest of the world does it, from the NSW government:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/internationalinterstate/roundabouts.html

Signaling like that really makes things go more smoothly, even when lanes are marked.

Still agrees with the 'signal as you intend to exit' method (Wisconsin DMV instructions (1.1 mb PDF)). Given how US drivers currently use their turn signals (or lack thereof) I envision a lot of people forgetting to switch indications before they exit. ==> More confused drivers, less acceptance of roundabouts. Not to get into a slippery-slope argument, but you would be amazed at what people will use as an excuse to be against a roundabout at a public meeting.

From the AUS link, in their "Turning Right" image (equivalent to our left turn), how does the turn signal change how the drivers waiting on the EB and SB approaches are going to handle the situation? Regardless of what exit the circulating driver is going to take, they still have to yield to them.

1995hoo

In theory, the right-turn indicator tells the fellow waiting at the first entrance (eastbound, if we assume north is up in the diagram) that if he wants to make a left turn (take the first exit), or if he wants to use the outside lane to go straight (take the second exit), he can go ahead and do so because he won't come into conflict with the guy making the right turn.

The biggest thing is reducing ambiguity. Roundabouts work splendidly when nobody has to guess at what anybody else is doing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman

- Have the headlights integrated with windshield wipers so that the headlights automatically turn on when the wipers go on

Given the number of states that currently require headlight use when wipers are on, I'm not surprised this isn't already a feature on newer cars.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Mr_Northside

I like this idea.... A lot.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Molandfreak on October 31, 2013, 04:41:54 PMI wish cars could automatically dim their lights via a sensor that detects the lights of other vehicles.

Lincoln had this feature in 1981, as an option on the Town Car.  It should have caught on, and should now be mandatory.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 31, 2013, 04:44:26 PMnope.  sometimes I'm gonna need those high beams, no matter what.  I do apologize, and I try to need them this badly in only rare instances, but the perfect mix of murky weather and road curves might necessitate it.

Read up on back-glare and learn why high beams don't help you in fog, rain or snow (i.e. what I presume you mean by 'murky weather'.  There is absolutely no reason to continue to run your highs when meeting oncoming traffic.

By your logic, I should run my high beams constantly at night because I drive a truck, and because of the heavy weight of my vehice and its increased stopping distance, I need the extra visibilty.  Right.  'Cept I don't do that, because it's being a douchebag.  Won't kill me, won't kill you.  Lower your fucking headlights if you can see traffic.  I have zero patience for this.  None what so ever.

Quote from: DaBigE on October 31, 2013, 11:05:46 PM- Have the headlights integrated with windshield wipers so that the headlights automatically turn on when the wipers go on

My last truck had this feature.  My current truck unfortunately does not.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

vdeane

Quote from: roadman on November 01, 2013, 06:51:21 PM

Given the number of states that currently require headlight use when wipers are on, I'm not surprised this isn't already a feature on newer cars.
That "feature" would cause people to flash their lights whenever a bug hit their windshield, or if it's not raining hard enough to keep the wipers on consistently and the driver didn't already turn their lights on.

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 01, 2013, 06:03:34 PM
In theory, the right-turn indicator tells the fellow waiting at the first entrance (eastbound, if we assume north is up in the diagram) that if he wants to make a left turn (take the first exit), or if he wants to use the outside lane to go straight (take the second exit), he can go ahead and do so because he won't come into conflict with the guy making the right turn.

The biggest thing is reducing ambiguity. Roundabouts work splendidly when nobody has to guess at what anybody else is doing.
That assumes the person will stay in their lane... not a good assumption to make in the US!  In fact, over here, it's generally a good idea to assume a driver's maneuver will conflict with yours regardless of what their signal says.

Plus we don't have many multi-lane roundabouts like that.  In the ones we do have, the lanes "push" to the right at the exits on the more major road, so that one would need to change lanes if they were to go more than 270 degrees around for some reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

My main vehicle -- my Saturn Vue -- has both daytime running lights and a sensor that automatically turns on the headlights (and by extension, taillights) in low-light conditions.

I figure that the DRLs satisfy the "headlights on when wipers in use" requirement.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

Quote from: formulanone on November 01, 2013, 07:47:12 AM
I recall some automaker displayed a concept car in the mid-to-late-1980s with such a feature, since the rear turn signals were arrows that pointed left, right, and straight. I'm completely stumped as to what the make/model was, since it never hit production.

I would rather have a straight ahead signal on the front of the car.  Most of the times I've wanted such an indication have been when going straight in a shared left-thru lane where most traffic goes left and there is a decent opposing left turn movement.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: vdeane on November 01, 2013, 08:31:09 PMThat "feature" would cause people to flash their lights whenever a bug hit their windshield, or if it's not raining hard enough to keep the wipers on consistently and the driver didn't already turn their lights on.

In my last truck, with the wipers-on-lights-on feature, the headlights stayed on after turning the wipers off until I turned the headlight switch on, then back off.  The headlights did not come on when using the wipe-wash.

Duke87

I think it would be cool to have a car with a special mode that turns all the wheels 90 degrees and allows you to drive sideways. Would make parallel parking a lot easier, and might be useful for getting out of some other tight situations.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: Duke87 on November 02, 2013, 02:52:47 PM
I think it would be cool to have a car with a special mode that turns all the wheels 90 degrees and allows you to drive sideways. Would make parallel parking a lot easier, and might be useful for getting out of some other tight situations.

I think it would be cool to have a car with a special mode that turns all the wheels 90 degrees downward and allows the car to fly.

It's almost 2015, why don't we have this yet?

DaBigE

Quote from: Duke87 on November 02, 2013, 02:52:47 PM

While cool, it would be a mechanical nightmare. The only real way you could do that is if each wheel had its own electric motor for power instead of the traditional drivetrain/axle setup.

Oshkosh had a similar feature called All-Steer, which, at the flip of a switch, allowed a computer to control/synchronize the rear wheels with the steering axle. It had three positions: 1) locked forward, 2) turn opposite of the front (reduce turning radius), or 3) turn with the front (allowing the truck to "crab-walk" diagonally). All-Steer Driving Manual (3 mb PDF)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.