News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Windows 8(.1)

Started by silverback1065, February 28, 2014, 02:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on April 04, 2014, 02:07:36 PM
I got a new windows 8.1 laptop. The only problem is the weather part which it's showing incorrect temperatures.

Is it for the location you're in?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

stormwatch7721

Yeah I put it in there but it's only the temperatures problem.

hotdogPi

Is it consistently a certain number above or below?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

stormwatch7721

When I login to my laptop, it shows the temperature but when I click on I, it shows a different number. For example: 76 on the tile but when
I click on the weather tile, it says 78. Not the actual temperature right now, but giving an example.

J N Winkler

I have long suspected an updating problem with the temperature display--not with the weather tile specifically (we don't keep our lone Windows 8.1 PC hovering on the Start screen long enough for the weather tile actually to display anything), but with the temperature that is shown when the weather app is launched.  Sometimes it seems "stale" since it is as much as ten degrees off actual temperature outside the front door.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sammi

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 04, 2014, 08:07:36 PM
I have long suspected an updating problem with the temperature display--not with the weather tile specifically (we don't keep our lone Windows 8.1 PC hovering on the Start screen long enough for the weather tile actually to display anything), but with the temperature that is shown when the weather app is launched.  Sometimes it seems "stale" since it is as much as ten degrees off actual temperature outside the front door.

I think it's just from when it last downloaded the temperature data, which probably only happens every time you open the Start screen. That happens to me a lot too; a few weeks ago I had a negative temperature (-14 I think?) show up when it was a positive temperature at that time.

Experiment: actually stay on your Start screen for more than a few seconds and see the temperature change to a more accurate value.

billtm

I actually like Windows 8.1. I just ignore the start screen and go on with my life :spin:.

JREwing78

I'm using Windows 8.1 exclusively on my work desktop and laptop. There's not an appreciable difference in operation from Windows 7 once Classic Start is installed and the default programs are switched away from the Metro versions.

I'm awaiting future updates that are supposed to allow the Metro apps to be windowed; that will do a lot to make them useful in business settings.

Zeffy

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 18, 2014, 10:21:11 PM
I'm using Windows 8.1 exclusively on my work desktop and laptop. There's not an appreciable difference in operation from Windows 7 once Classic Start is installed and the default programs are switched away from the Metro versions.

This is very true. I love Windows 8.1 for how fast my computer starts up. One thing I do NOT like is the fact that Windows Update made it so you cannot delay the restart of your computer infinitely anymore. I hate seeing "15 min till restart trolololololol" and then waiting for hit to hit 5 minutes and just saying "fuck it" and saving everything and restarting. Yeah I get it needs to update system files but really.... I have anti-virus programs and I'm not stupid enough to check links that don't look safe...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SteveG1988

Quote from: sammi on April 04, 2014, 08:14:41 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 04, 2014, 08:07:36 PM

I think it's just from when it last downloaded the temperature data, which probably only happens every time you open the Start screen. That happens to me a lot too; a few weeks ago I had a negative temperature (-14 I think?) show up when it was a positive temperature at that time.

Experiment: actually stay on your Start screen for more than a few seconds and see the temperature change to a more accurate value.

My windows phone does similar things too, i am used to it updating from the lock screen
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Scott5114

Quote from: Zeffy on May 18, 2014, 10:31:40 PM

This is very true. I love Windows 8.1 for how fast my computer starts up. One thing I do NOT like is the fact that Windows Update made it so you cannot delay the restart of your computer infinitely anymore. I hate seeing "15 min till restart trolololololol" and then waiting for hit to hit 5 minutes and just saying "fuck it" and saving everything and restarting. Yeah I get it needs to update system files but really.... I have anti-virus programs and I'm not stupid enough to check links that don't look safe...

I'm disappointed that Windows has not improved their update process by this point. On Linux, the only upgrade that requires a reboot is an OS kernel upgrade, and even then you are free to reboot at your leisure; the system simply keeps running the old kernel until you do so. All other updates take effect immediately (or if the process is running at the time of the update, the next time the process is restarted).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Thing 342

The new Windows 8.1 update (8.1.1?) Is definantly an improvement, IMO. However, it does seem like Microsoft has no idea what it's doing with regards to metro moving forward.

vdeane

Every version Microsoft makes the update process worse rather than better.  XP was just a restart.  Vista and 7 moved the installation point to during the restart so that you had to sit there while the updates installed.  I get that the Windows file locking system is the most horrible variant ever invented, but do they really need to make this more inconvenient every version?

I love Windows 8.1 for how fast my computer starts up.
For some reason, I've never seen the faster start time.  I can forgive the VMs for it, but even the corporate computer I had at my last job didn't start any faster than other versions of windows do.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

algorerhythms

Is there still an option in 8.1 under Windows Update for "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"? I've turned that on on my computers because I got tired of losing programs I was running because Windows Update decided to reboot.

J N Winkler

Quote from: algorerhythms on May 19, 2014, 08:42:49 AMIs there still an option in 8.1 under Windows Update for "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"? I've turned that on on my computers because I got tired of losing programs I was running because Windows Update decided to reboot.

Yes, that option still exists.  I always set it on the computers I manage since I never like to install updates unless I have to power-cycle the computer for another reason.  I always ignore the "Update automatically" propaganda in the tech press since I have found I am more likely to lose essential functionality through a bad update than I am to suffer an OS exploit that relies on an unpatched vulnerability.

In regard to the changes in the update model between XP and 7, the real annoyance is that 7 withdrew the option of doing a full shutdown without installing updates.  This means that if I have to do a full shutdown to terminate an unkillable process (e.g. an instance of Nero gone zombie--a widely recognized problem, but no-one seems to have either a solution or a foolproof kill method) and ensure all my USB 3 devices are visible right away in the new Windows session (I have some that disappear unless the computer is truly power-cycled, which does not happen with a warm restart), I lose even more time installing updates.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 19, 2014, 10:35:49 AM
In regard to the changes in the update model between XP and 7, the real annoyance is that 7 withdrew the option of doing a full shutdown without installing updates.

Actually, that option is available in Windows 7/8.  ALT + F4 from the desktop brings up a WinXP style shutdown window.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on May 19, 2014, 12:55:24 AM
I love Windows 8.1 for how fast my computer starts up.

For some reason, I've never seen the faster start time.  I can forgive the VMs for it, but even the corporate computer I had at my last job didn't start any faster than other versions of windows do.

I had an old ASUS G73JH I got back in 9th grade. It was great but really started to slow down (despite the awesomeness that is its specs). I installed Windows 8 and it really sped things up. Not sure why, but it did help. I still have it, but compared to my current Samsung (ATIV Book 8), it's pretty slow and not worth the wasted energy. But I know people (like you vdeane) who have not seen improvements.

vdeane

Quote from: jake on June 29, 2014, 02:18:26 AM
I had an old ASUS G73JH I got back in 9th grade. It was great but really started to slow down (despite the awesomeness that is its specs). I installed Windows 8 and it really sped things up. Not sure why, but it did help. I still have it, but compared to my current Samsung (ATIV Book 8), it's pretty slow and not worth the wasted energy. But I know people (like you vdeane) who have not seen improvements.
Reinstalling Windows tends to have that effect.  Probably Little/nothing to do with Windows 8.  Unfortunately, Windows has a habit of gunking itself up with junk over time.  It's better with Vista/7/8 than it was with XP, but not gone.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on June 29, 2014, 07:47:17 PM
Quote from: jake on June 29, 2014, 02:18:26 AM
Reinstalling Windows tends to have that effect.  Probably Little/nothing to do with Windows 8.  Unfortunately, Windows has a habit of gunking itself up with junk over time.  It's better with Vista/7/8 than it was with XP, but not gone.

Dare I say "that's why I love the Mac"?

mapman1071

When Microshaft was writing up code for 8/8.1 there should have been 4 versions for both x86 and 64bit:
8-D (Desktop) Home & Business
8-M (Touchscreen (Tablets/Phone) Home and Business

Metro Interface stinks for mouse/touchpad users.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.