News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Map Errors (Paper and Virtual alike)

Started by City, August 09, 2009, 05:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 24, 2009, 12:42:32 PM
I just fired up Google Earth only to notice that there is no longer any mention of I-264 on the Virginia Beach-Norfolk Expy (which is shown as the "Norfolk Virginia Beach Expressway") east of I-64, but rather that it has reverted back to VA-44.

EDIT: And SR-615 is back as well... Oceana Blvd. is labeled "State Route 615" with no mention of Oceana Blvd.

EDIT2: And several other secondary routes in Virginia Beach, such as 632 on Great Neck Rd.

At least they don't do what American Map/ADC does and call Sandbridge Rd and Sandpiper Rd SR 629...

I also noticed that I-264/VA 44 go right to US 60...even on 21st and 22nd Streets, which aren't numbered (or freeway, for that matter)! Pacific Ave is labeled with a normal US 60 shield, but "US 60 BUS" in all caps. At least it shows the correct endpoint (the loop at the end of Atlantic Ave). VA 164 is also not a freeway, apparently (neither are VA 895, VA 150, or the freeway segment of VA 199), but VA 76 and VA 288 are...

In Richmond, US 60 has a strange routing that I don't think ever existed in real life - E. Broad St along the old pre-2004 routing, past 25th and on one-way alignments on 17th and 18th (all of 18th and part of 17th are US 360) to Main, and then to the Manchester Bridge as normal.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SSOWorld

Google Earth is likely suffering the same problems Google Maps is suffering from when Google switched to a map database that had lots of errors.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

D-Dey65

This may be an old thread, but I still have to bring up the error; Google not only incorrectly places Wassaic Metro-North commuter railroad station north of the actual station itself, but north of the Wassaic Metro-North Yard.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.819496,-73.562651&spn=0.026642,0.038581&t=h&z=15

I could try to get them to correct their error, but I forgot how I did this in the past.

CNGL-Leudimin

This is the most epic fail ever:

On the ADAC Deutschland (Germany) KompactAtlas, but the same mistake is in a ton other maps, even in OSM!
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Alps

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 20, 2013, 03:48:25 PM
This is the most epic fail ever:

On the ADAC Deutschland (Germany) KompactAtlas, but the same mistake is in a ton other maps, even in OSM!
Things only funny to Europeans...

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Steve on March 20, 2013, 11:38:46 PMThings only funny to Europeans...

Well, actually is not a mistake either :). It's something related to the Bielefeld Conspiracy, which claims this German city doesn't exist.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

NE2

This thread should not have been bumped.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Roadsguy

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 20, 2013, 02:34:27 PM
This may be an old thread, but I still have to bring up the error; Google not only incorrectly places Wassaic Metro-North commuter railroad station north of the actual station itself, but north of the Wassaic Metro-North Yard.
https://maps.google.com/?ll=41.819496,-73.562651&spn=0.026642,0.038581&t=h&z=15

I could try to get them to correct their error, but I forgot how I did this in the past.

That's why we have the Incorrect Highways Marked on Google Maps thread. :P
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 22, 2013, 08:31:30 AM
That's why we have the Incorrect Highways Marked on Google Maps thread. :P
I couldn't find that, though/ Luckily, I did today;
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2001.0

Michael

I saw on my Facebook News Feed last night that Central NY is getting a Costco, and I found this map (warning: 6900 pixel wide image) on the developer's web page.  I had no idea that US 5 went through CNY.  At least they have the correct AADTs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.