News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What if each state had two capitals?

Started by empirestate, September 02, 2015, 08:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Suppose it was decided that each U.S. state had to have two capitals, either to better represent different regions of the state, or for the old-fashioned reasons of centrality and distance, or whatever. Which two cities would you choose?

For each state, imagine two different scenarios: 1) where the current capital must be retained, and 2) where the current capital need not be kept (but it can be, making both scenarios the same in this instance).

I'll start with an obvious one, New York:
1) Albany, New York
2) Syracuse, New York

NWI_Irish96

With Indianapolis being by far the largest city and already in the middle of the state, a second capital wouldn't really make sense, but if you had to do it, I guess Crown Point would be it, being the county seat of the second largest county.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TravelingBethelite

Illinois would certainly benefit from this. A second capital could represent Chicago (and vicinity), while the current one in Springfield would represent the rest of the (underrepresented) state. Connecticut (Delaware, Rhode Island, etc) is too small to need another capital  :-D One works for us just fine.  :cool: :thumbsup:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

The Nature Boy

Maine: Augusta and Portland
New Hampshire: Concord and Berlin
Vermont: Montpelier and Bennington
Massachusetts: Boston and Springfield

North Carolina: Raleigh and Charlotte
South Carolina: Columbia and Charleston
Virginia: Richmond and Alexandria

I thought I'd advance some to get the discussion flowing. NH and VT were based on trying to get adequate representation in an underrepresented area relatively far from the current capital. 

jeffandnicole

New Jersey:

If retaining the current capital:   Trenton & Newark
Better representing the entire state:  Morristown & Egg Harbor City.  Why those two?  Because one would almost always be 60 - 90 minutes away from either capital, regardless of where they are in the state.

Quote from: empirestate on September 02, 2015, 08:47:25 AM
Suppose it was decided that each U.S. state had to have two capitals, either to better represent different regions of the state, or for the old-fashioned reasons of centrality and distance, or whatever. Which two cities would you choose?

For each state, imagine two different scenarios: 1) where the current capital must be retained, and 2) where the current capital need not be kept (but it can be, making both scenarios the same in this instance).

1) Albany, New York
2) Syracuse, New York

I'd use New York City as a capital.  If you want to better represent different regions of the state, the most populated city in the entire country should be represented.

empirestate

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 02, 2015, 09:00:36 AM
Connecticut (Delaware, Rhode Island, etc) is too small to need another capital  :-D One works for us just fine.  :cool: :thumbsup:

Well, of course it is. :-) But, for whatever reason, the decision is made that you have to have two; which do you pick?

iPhone

spooky

SteveG1988

Is this like how Germany did it during the cold war? how West Germany still technically had west Berlin as the Capital, but they really used Bonn Germany as the head of government.

For New Jersey i would have the main capital stay Trenton, and have the secondary one be Jersey City. Trenton is close enough for the shore towns to flock to, and Jersey City would serve as oversight on the more populated section of the state.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: empirestate on September 02, 2015, 09:22:01 AM

Connecticut (Delaware, Rhode Island, etc) is too small to need another capital  :-D One works for us just fine.  :cool: :thumbsup:

Well, of course it is. :-) But, for whatever reason, the decision is made that you have to have two; which do you pick?

iPhone

Okay. Here goes:
Connecticut: Hartford/New London (East CT is not very well-represented)
Rhode Island: Providence/Newport
Delaware: Dover/Wilmington
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

tchafe1978

For Wisconsin, I'd keep Madison as one capital. But I wouldn't go with Milwaukee as the second capital just because it's the largest city in the state. I'd pick Green Bay or Wausau to better represent the northern half of the state.

jeffandnicole

PA: 
Current:  Harrisburg & Pittsburgh.
Option to pick new:  Philadelphia & Pittsburgh.

TXtoNJ

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2015, 09:29:34 AM
Is this like how Germany did it during the cold war? how West Germany still technically had west Berlin as the Capital, but they really used Bonn Germany as the head of government.

For New Jersey i would have the main capital stay Trenton, and have the secondary one be Jersey City. Trenton is close enough for the shore towns to flock to, and Jersey City would serve as oversight on the more populated section of the state.

The interesting thing about the shore points:  Generally speaking, there's no great route to Trenton, compared to Jersey City.  Doing some quick travel times, getting to Jersey City is only 15 - 30 minutes longer from any shore point between Belmar and Cape May.  North of Belmar, the difference is even less!  Even from Belmar, the difference is only 18 minutes, and that includes Belmar being basically one straight road to Trenton!

davewiecking

DE: Dover, and a data center in some warehouse just outside of Dover.
MD: Annapolis and Cumberland

empirestate

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 02, 2015, 09:29:34 AM

Interesting question; I'll let you decide. Do you pick two capitals that have approximately equal status? One central capital with a satellite elsewhere in the state (esp. for scenario 1)? Or one de facto and one de jure or ceremonial capital? Or even divided by branch of government, á la South Africa (but with only two choices)?

iPhone

empirestate

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 02, 2015, 09:35:37 AM
Quote from: empirestate on September 02, 2015, 09:22:01 AM

iPhone

Okay. Here goes:
Connecticut: Hartford/New London (East CT is not very well-represented)
Rhode Island: Providence/Newport
Delaware: Dover/Wilmington

No different choices for option 2 (not retaining the current capital)? It seems that with such small states, you'd definitely want the two as far apart as possible–unless you're choosing them by a different rationale, of course.

iPhone

Brandon

Quote from: tchafe1978 on September 02, 2015, 09:49:12 AM
For Wisconsin, I'd keep Madison as one capital. But I wouldn't go with Milwaukee as the second capital just because it's the largest city in the state. I'd pick Green Bay or Wausau to better represent the northern half of the state.

Green Bay is the "religious" capital of Wisconsin anyway.  Every fall, hordes of people descend religiously upon Green Bay on certain Sundays, and the occasional Monday night.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

OCGuy81

For California, you can probably keep Sacramento to represent Northern California, and some of the Central Valley.

I suppose LA would be the capital of Southern California.

Henry

Here are ten ideas of my own:

FL: Tallahassee and Miami
GA: Atlanta and Savannah
KS: Topeka and Wichita
MI: Lansing and Detroit
MO: Jefferson City and St. Louis, or Jefferson City and Kansas City
NV: Carson City and Las Vegas
OH: Columbus and Cleveland, or Columbus and Cincinnati
OK: Oklahoma City and Tulsa
TN: Nashville and Memphis
WA: Olympia and Spokane
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Mr. Matté

1) Albany, New York
2) Syracuse, New York

Wouldn't be more obvious to have NYC as one capital just since most of the population either lives there or has to drive through there to get to the current capital?

In general, I wish more states would go the Brasilia route of capitals- create an entirely new city with modern infrastructure rather than jury-rigging existing built-up cities from the 1800s to fit current requirements.

golden eagle

Jackson is rather centralized. Since a lot of the state's power structure has been concentrated in north Mississippi, I'd make either Oxford or Tupelo the Capitol for that part of the state.

Brandon

Quote from: Henry on September 02, 2015, 11:59:19 AM
Here are ten ideas of my own:

MI: Lansing and Detroit

I would choose Lansing and Marquette.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 02, 2015, 11:59:55 AM
1) Albany, New York
2) Syracuse, New York

Wouldn't be more obvious to have NYC as one capital just since most of the population either lives there or has to drive through there to get to the current capital?

In general, I wish more states would go the Brasilia route of capitals- create an entirely new city with modern infrastructure rather than jury-rigging existing built-up cities from the 1800s to fit current requirements.

Some of these states chose their capital in the 1800s that way.  Columbus and Indianapolis come to mind.  Lansing was chosen that way as well (nothing but a sawmill existed there at the time).  And Madison was planned to be the capital from the start.  Of all the Old Northwest states, only Illinois shoehorned a capital into a preexisting city, Springfield.

I'm sure some other states did likewise.

vdeane

Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 02, 2015, 11:59:55 AM
You could make the next Brasilia, but you run the risk of making the next Naypyidaw instead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

For Virginia, it should be Richmond and somewhere in Northern Virginia. But with the way things work here, Richmond and Roanoke would be more likely.  :angry:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.