News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What if each state had two capitals?

Started by empirestate, September 02, 2015, 08:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

California: Sacramento is located pretty well for a northern capital, a southern one could go someplace like Riverside, San Bernadino, or Moreno Valley.

KEVIN_224

I think Connecticut had a dual capitol of Hartford and New Haven in its past.  :hmmm:

Today, they're the two core cities in out TV market.

OK...I checked and I was right. The city (New Haven) served as co-capital of Connecticut from 1701 until 1873.  :-P

oscar

I think Hawaii hasn't yet been mentioned. Fortunately, it already is evolving a de facto "second capital" -- Kapolei, in the southwestern corner of Oahu, where many state offices have moved into roomier digs from congested downtown Honolulu.

True, it's on the same island as the existing state capital, and only about 20 miles away on Interstate H-1. But putting a second capital on one of Hawaii's other islands would not really improve access to state government (except for residents of the island getting the second capital), since air connections for the other islands generally go through Honolulu.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Rothman

A lot of state offices in NY aren't actually in Albany anymore due to the "suburbs" whining that state offices bring economic development (which, in actuality means, a McDonald's may pop up).  If Kapolei counts as a second capital for HI, then Colonie and Rensselaer would be 2nd and 3rd capitals for NY. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

empirestate

Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 11:33:40 AM
A lot of state offices in NY aren't actually in Albany anymore due to the "suburbs" whining that state offices bring economic development (which, in actuality means, a McDonald's may pop up).  If Kapolei counts as a second capital for HI, then Colonie and Rensselaer would be 2nd and 3rd capitals for NY. :D

Economic development? The suburbs are themselves the economic development resulting from the industry (state government) of the core city (Albany).

Rothman

Quote from: empirestate on September 04, 2015, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Rothman on September 04, 2015, 11:33:40 AM

Economic development? The suburbs are themselves the economic development resulting from the industry (state government) of the core city (Albany).

The idea is that if the rich state workers didn't have to commute that they'd stay in the 'burbs and spent their money there...

...except state workers aren't exactly rich and so...congrats on the ribbon cutting for the McDonald's. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SD Mapman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 02, 2015, 06:39:16 PM
Quote from: DandyDan on September 02, 2015, 05:56:22 PM
Nebraska: Lincoln and North Platte
Iowa: Des Moines and Cedar Rapids
South Dakota: Pierre and Sioux Falls
I'd prefer Kearney over Lincoln.

I think Des Moines is good enough.

I think Pierre is fine.

I would stick with Pierre probably because it's geographically central. Sioux Falls already has the prison, a lot of hospitals, and other stuff. They don't need the state capital.

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 03, 2015, 05:30:04 PM
South Dakota I'd go with Belle Fourche and Watertown.

Belle doesn't make much sense if you know Belle. Watertown, maybe. But Belle?

If I had to state the best option for two capital cities in SD, it would be Sioux Falls and Rapid City. But, because I don't like either of those places, I'm going with Spearfish and Yankton. (If I had to keep Pierre, I'd just add Spearfish)
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Billy F 1988

It's hard to say what Montana would be. At one time during its tenure as a territory, Virginia City was the capital up until entering statehood in 1889 with Helena being its central capital.

I guess the most obvious would be Missoula as the western capital, Miles City or Billings as #2. If Helena stays as the central capital, then no doubt Billings would be the #2 capital. Montana is sort of a crapshoot when you come up with a theory of the state having two capitals.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

noelbotevera

Quote from: SD Mapman on September 04, 2015, 04:19:55 PM

I think Pierre is fine.

I would stick with Pierre probably because it's geographically central. Sioux Falls already has the prison, a lot of hospitals, and other stuff. They don't need the state capital.

If I had to state the best option for two capital cities in SD, it would be Sioux Falls and Rapid City. But, because I don't like either of those places, I'm going with Spearfish and Yankton. (If I had to keep Pierre, I'd just add Spearfish)
Belle Fourche on the Goog seems to be the last town on US 85 until a major highway junction with SD 20 up north in Buffalo, then nothing until the ND state line.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vtk

New York: Syracuse and New York.

Ohio: Columbus and Athens. The Athens capitol would serve the hillbilly part of the state, while Columbus would continue to serve the big cities and flat farm communities.

Someone said something about having a capitol outside the state? I can imagine Ohio and Michigan both having embassies in St Petersburg, Florida.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

SD Mapman

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 04, 2015, 05:44:42 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on September 04, 2015, 04:19:55 PM

I think Pierre is fine.

Belle Fourche on the Goog seems to be the last town on US 85 until a major highway junction with SD 20 up north in Buffalo, then nothing until the ND state line.
Spearfish is only ten miles away and is much more suitable due to its higher quality services and centralized location. Also, the water is better.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

dfwmapper

Quote from: roadman65 on September 03, 2015, 07:34:42 PM
In Texas it should be El Paso for West Texas, Amarillo for the Panhandle, Dallas for North East Texas, San Antonio for South Central, and Houston for South East.
El Paso isn't a center of anything except maybe drug trafficking. As suggested earlier in the thread, Midland would be a far more logical choice for the western part of Texas, being the center of the oil industry.

Rothman

Quote from: dfwmapper on September 05, 2015, 06:44:41 PM
In Texas it should be El Paso for West Texas, Amarillo for the Panhandle, Dallas for North East Texas, San Antonio for South Central, and Houston for South East.
El Paso isn't a center of anything except maybe drug trafficking. As suggested earlier in the thread, Midland would be a far more logical choice for the western part of Texas, being the center of the oil industry.

Heh.  Let oil run the state. :D

wxfree

I'd vote for Austin and Midland.

Regarding El Paso, while it's a big city that seems like it should be in the middle of something, it's actually in the middle of nowhere.  Marfa, which is farther west than most of west Texas, is closer to Midland than El Paso by linear distance, and the road distance to each is about the same.  Big Spring, which is well into west Texas, is closer to Austin (and even Dallas) than to El Paso.  El Paso is a bit of a geographical oddity, and, since the state narrows toward it, is close to very little of Texas.

I propose an addition to the topic: Where should the administrative boundary between each capital lie?  For Austin and Midland, Texas, I propose a line along county boundaries somewhat east of a line from Wichita Falls, Abilene, San Angelo, to Del Rio.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

noelbotevera

Quote from: wxfree on September 05, 2015, 10:51:52 PM

I'd vote for Austin and Midland.

Regarding El Paso, while it's a big city that seems like it should be in the middle of something, it's actually in the middle of nowhere.  Marfa, which is farther west than most of west Texas, is closer to Midland than El Paso by linear distance, and the road distance to each is about the same.  Big Spring, which is well into west Texas, is closer to Austin (and even Dallas) than to El Paso.  El Paso is a bit of a geographical oddity, and, since the state narrows toward it, is close to very little of Texas.

I propose an addition to the topic: Where should the administrative boundary between each capital lie?  For Austin and Midland, Texas, I propose a line along county boundaries somewhat east of a line from Wichita Falls, Abilene, San Angelo, to Del Rio.
Here's my proposals for capitals in Texas:
West Texas: Abilene or San Angelo
Central Texas: New Braunfels or Austin
North Texas and the Panhandle: Dallas (or Ft. Worth)/Lubbock/Amarillo
East Texas: Texarkana
South East Texas: Beaumont or Houston
South Central Texas: San Antonio
South Texas: Laredo
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

slorydn1

Quote from: US 41 on September 03, 2015, 05:02:11 PM
For Indiana......the other is the racing capital of the world.

I would argue that Paris, France is the racing capital of the world as that is where the FIA is headquartered, but I digress :p

For NC I would say the current capital Raleigh should represent the rest of the state west of I-95 and the original colonial capital of New Bern should be the capital for the rural eastern half of the state.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

6a

Quote from: vtk on September 04, 2015, 09:57:30 PM

Someone said something about having a capitol outside the state? I can imagine Ohio and Michigan both having embassies in St Petersburg, Florida.

Myrtle Beach :)

jwolfer

Quote from: 6a on September 13, 2015, 04:13:13 PM

New York would be Boca Raton FL

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jwolfer on September 13, 2015, 07:09:46 PM
Quote from: 6a on September 13, 2015, 04:13:13 PM

New York would be Boca Raton FL
How about Butte, Montana for Kentucky. :colorful:
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

tidecat

For Kentucky I would propose Elizabethtown as the second capital - it's essentially the geographic center of the state and located at the convergence of 3 different freeways and 2 US Highways.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

Scott5114

Quote from: Henry on September 02, 2015, 11:59:19 AM
MO: Jefferson City and St. Louis, or Jefferson City and Kansas City

The only reason Jeff City is the capital is because it's roughly equidistant between Kansas City and St Louis. If you're going to give one of them a capital, you may as well give the other one too and let Jeff City fall into obscurity.

Alternatively, you can keep Jeff City as a capital and add a second in Springfield, to better serve southwest Missouri (Springfield, Branson, and Joplin).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.