News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Beer thread

Started by realjd, August 12, 2010, 08:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

So we've had threads on mini-marts, sports teams, music, and other fun topics, but no threads about beer! What's your favorite kind?

Here's my usual go-to beer, when I'm not looking to try something new:

I also like brown and amber ales and am looking forward to the fall when marzen/oktoberfest beers come out again!

rawmustard

I'm kinda partial to darker beer styles (stouts, darker ales, bocks), but I enjoy wheat beers (such as Bell's Oberon) and IPAs as well. I've been exposed to so much great craft beer that I highly doubt I'll ever go back to that corporate stuff again.

realjd

Quote from: rawmustard on August 12, 2010, 09:03:30 AM
I'm kinda partial to darker beer styles (stouts, darker ales, bocks), but I enjoy wheat beers (such as Bell's Oberon) and IPAs as well. I've been exposed to so much great craft beer that I highly doubt I'll ever go back to that corporate stuff again.

I don't like really dark beers like stouts personally, but I do like a good bock on occasion. I'm not much into wheat beers either.

I drink a lot of craft beer, but I also appreciate the corporate stuff for what it is. Like I said, Yuengling is my usual go-to beer. It's cheap, tastes good, and you can get it just about anywhere here. I consider beers like Budweiser to be sports drinks. After I've been out working in the yard or something and am thirsty, an ice cold Bud tastes really good, probably because it's light flavored and watery. With a meal, something with more flavor is much better. I also tend to drink a lot of Mexican and Caribbean beer this time of year if I'm out in the pool or sitting on the porch. There's just something about hot weather and a Pacifico or a Presidente...

I didn't used to like IPAs, but I've developed more of a taste for hoppy beer. Arrogant Bastard (hoppier than many IPAs I've had) has been one of my favorites lately.

agentsteel53

I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada.  Tonight, though, I will likely have a Stone IPA.

mmm... beer.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Duke87

I don't generally go for local microbrews. Give me a recognizable brand that I know I like.
Usually it's sweeter stuff, such as Coors Light or Miller Light. When I want something a bit more bitter I'll go for Heineken or Amstel Light.

Oh, and Corona sucks. Can't say that enough.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 12, 2010, 10:04:41 AM
I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada.  Tonight, though, I will likely have a Stone IPA.

mmm... beer.

Whenever I'm out in Carlsbad, I always try to stop by Stone. Good stuff. Have you ever had their Ruination IPA? It's the hoppiest beer I've ever tasted. Also, Karl Strauss is awesome, and the Pizza Port in Carlsbad has some of the best beer I've ever had.

Truvelo

My favourite is Irish stout, either Guinness or Murphy's. However, the stuff you get in North America tastes like cat piss because of the preservatives or whatever treatment is has for export.

As for North American beer, most of it is garbage, particularly Budweiser and Coors. The only one I like is Sam Adams plus some of the Mexican beers such as Negra Modelo. I can only find one place that sells Sam Adams in the UK and it's about twice as expensive as the stout plus it comes in tiny 355ml bottles instead of the 440 or half litre cans/bottles most British beers come in.
Speed limits limit life

rawmustard

Michigan's craft beer industry is rather burgeoning despite an overall sour economy, and I try to throw most of my support behind it. With that being said, I do enjoy many beers which come from out of state, chief among them Magic Hat #9, which has gotten a foothold in many bars around here. If we're talking corporate beer, I very much like Molson Canadian, as that's got a lot of flavor for its class of beer. Hopefully I'll have another Yuengling at some point as I'll be in an area where it's distributed come Labor Day weekend. Of course, I always try to sample local beer wherever my travels take me.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

I am partial to New Belgium beers.  My favorites are Abbey and Trippel.  Both are Belgian style ales.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2010, 12:18:23 PM
*Oppose ~~~~
Sorry - but wikicode doesn't work on AARoads. :happy:

Bugo - Fat Tire FTW.

Also some exclusive to Wisconsin beers - Spotted Cow.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

realjd

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2010, 01:27:13 PM
I am partial to New Belgium beers.  My favorites are Abbey and Trippel.  Both are Belgian style ales.

I've only recently started trying Belgian beers. I've been impressed so far. Even the extremely sour Lambic that I had was interesting. I can never keep the various styles straight though!

Quote from: Master son on August 12, 2010, 01:33:19 PM
Bugo - Fat Tire FTW.

Also some exclusive to Wisconsin beers - Spotted Cow.

Fat Tire is OK. Whenever I have it in a bottle, it tastes a bit skunky to me, but draft is real good.

I had a spotted cow once. It was good, but not really my style of beer.

agentsteel53

speaking of Belgian beers, I like Duvel quite a bit.  but it's fairly expensive, so I save it for special occasions.

jake@aaroads.com

KEK Inc.

Root Beer.   :happy:

I'm underaged, and I didn't bootleg any of my dad's beer.  My dad doesn't really drink, so even if I did, I wouldn't want to take it since it's been sitting in the fridge for years.
Take the road less traveled.

BigMattFromTexas

Mmm, I love me some root beer. I don't really plan on drinking beer when I get older. I'll stick to Barq's ;)
BigMatt

KEK Inc.

Quote from: BigMatt on August 12, 2010, 02:59:06 PM
Mmm, I love me some root beer. I don't really plan on drinking beer when I get older. I'll stick to Barq's ;)
BigMatt
Same.  I don't see myself handling alcohol that well.  Maybe wine on occasions once I'm 21, but I doubt I'll be a beer drinker. 

A&W is pretty good as well, but Barqs is pretty high up there.  :)

Of course, I start college in a month, but I'm not the type to get sucked by peer pressure.

Ian

Birch beer > root beer ;)
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

BigMattFromTexas

^ Wouldn't know...
BigMatt

Chris

You can drink at the age of 16 in the Netherlands (and most of Europe).

I don't drink very much, sometimes a local brand beer. I don't drink enough to have a preference.

Truvelo

Quote from: Chris on August 12, 2010, 03:52:13 PM

Really? It's 18 here and in Ireland.
Speed limits limit life

KEK Inc.

I don't drink very much, sometimes a local brand beer. I don't drink enough to have a preference.

I'm sure you probably know, but here in the states, the drinking age is 21.  Sort of lame since you're considered legal at 18.  I believe the drinking age in Canada is 19.

Chris

Quote from: Truvelo on August 12, 2010, 04:01:25 PM

Really? It's 18 here and in Ireland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age

There is not really a consensus about this in Europe. It varies from country to country. Some countries don't have a legal drinking age at all. In some countries you can buy it in shops, but not in bars, in others you are not allow to buy it below a certain age, but there is no regulation about drinking it.

realjd

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 12, 2010, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: BigMatt on August 12, 2010, 02:59:06 PM
BigMatt
Same.  I don't see myself handling alcohol that well.  Maybe wine on occasions once I'm 21, but I doubt I'll be a beer drinker.  

A&W is pretty good as well, but Barqs is pretty high up there.  :)

Of course, I start college in a month, but I'm not the type to get sucked by peer pressure.

There's a difference between the binge drinking that happens among college and high school students and having a beer (or two) after work and staying sober. Personally, I drink regularly, but rarely get drunk. Besides, when you're drinking craft beers and microbrews, getting drunk becomes cost prohibitive very quickly! I also really like a good wine, and a good beer can be appreciated much in the same way, especially with food. Don't give into peer pressure though; if you really don't want to drink, you'll be happier if you don't.

As for root beer, IBC is my favorite. As an adult though, my metabolism doesn't run quite as quick as it used to when I was a teenager. I've found that Diet A&W tastes almost like regular A&W but has no calories. I drink that stuff like water. It's probably the least diet-tasting diet soda that I've been able to find. :)

BigMattFromTexas

^ Yeah, if I do drink any alcohol it'd prolly be something like Mike Hard Lemonade. I've heard that's good. I know someone who took Vodka to school. Didn't end well.... But he's still alive, so he didn't do anything too stupid... At why should 18 yo's be able to drink? I mean they already do it and look at how a lot of them end up. Dead. Every year after HS graduation there's at least one death from people (from a suburb of Angelo) drinking and driving (underage). So I think we have a long way to go until we see 18 being our legal drinking age.. That's just my opinion.

And in Mexico the drinking age is 18 but I've heard that it's real easy to bribe them into selling it to you underage. Especially if you're American, I'm not too sure that the Mexican authority would do anything to the seller, cause they have Mexican border police people being bribed into letting drug smugglers into the U.S. But that's off topic so never mind that... ;)
BigMatt

agentsteel53

Quote from: BigMatt on August 12, 2010, 06:16:31 PMwhy should 18 yo's be able to drink?

natural selection.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.