News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Favorite rental car company and car to rent

Started by golden eagle, April 22, 2011, 11:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 23, 2011, 11:51:44 AM
Quote from: oscar on April 23, 2011, 03:50:29 AM
I got lucky on a Thrifty rental out of the San Francisco airport.  They were out of anything resembling the compact I'd reserved, so they asked if I could drive a stickshift (yes) and if I would mind driving a Shelby turbo for the price of a regular compact (no problem at all).

I had no idea any rental car place in the US still had stick shifts.  had I been renting just for a few miles, I'd have jumped all over the Shelby Turbo - but for over, say, 300 miles or so, I'd have balked at the absence of 35mpg - as I don't think, even with a stick shift, I could've achieved that much.

I think some larger locations offer a few high-end specialty vehicles, aimed at big spenders.  A Shelby Turbo was not so high-priced that the agency would be absolutely desperate to scrounge up something else from another agency to honor my reservation,  I'm sure it would've tried a lot harder not to rent me a Ferrari at economy-car rates.

At the opposite end of the scale, you might find stickshifts at a Rent-A-Wreck or (if still around) an Ugly Duckling franchise, as I did long ago at an Ugly Duckling in northern Virginia.  And of course in Europe stickshifts are the norm in rental fleets.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

corco

QuoteThe only request I make when renting is that the car be either a GM, Ford or Chrysler product from either the USA or Canada.

I always stick with that policy as well- and it's been hit or miss. Of 7 cars I've rented I've gotten four foreign cars. I have never rented from an airport location so the fleet of vehicles to choose from is usually pretty limited and if I need a car I need a car.

I did wait 45 minutes once while they cleaned a Ford Fusion so I wouldn't have to take a Camry, and another time they had a Civic with cruise and a Cobalt without and were really confused when I demanded the Cobalt and kept trying to talk me into the Civic. I give them the same rant every time "You're an American rental car company; you should be supporting other domestic companies." but they just roll their eyes and mumble something about how many customers want Toyotas- it's disappointing. When I refused the Camry, the girl at the desk seemed completely shocked- "Nobody has ever turned down a Camry before!" was what she said.

I don't know how people do it- when I'm driving in the rural west especially I always feel so self-conscious in a foreign car, like everyone is judging me.

agentsteel53

I don't care who makes the car - both domestic and foreign companies make good ones.  I've never once felt self-conscious driving a non-American car.

I've walked up to random perfect strangers attempting to buy signs off their barn walls.  Can't say I've ever noticed any correlation between the ability to talk them out of their signs and the car I was driving. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

QuoteI don't care who makes the car - both domestic and foreign companies make good ones.  I've never once felt self-conscious driving a non-American car.
Nothing to do with reliability- it's a philosophical thing. The US auto industry is a critical part of the country, they employ unionized American laborers, and they need our help. They are (and have been for the last decade) turning out cars that are just as good if not better than their foreign counterparts, but the market is slow to respond. If the only way to get folks into a domestic automobile so they can see how far the Big Three has come is to make their rental cars domestic, that's good enough for me.

Enterprise should be supporting that- people (and fleets!) buying American-made, American-owned (ie the profits stay in this country) cars is good for the US Economy, and what's good for the US Economy is good for Enterprise. That's why just about every large, domestic company exclusively buys American cars for their fleets. I don't see why Enterprise should be any different.

QuoteI've walked up to random perfect strangers attempting to buy signs off their barn walls.  Can't say I've ever noticed any correlation between the ability to talk them out of their signs and the car I was driving.

I'm sure that it's self-induced on my end. Whether the argument is valid or not that people should be driving American, I definitely  believe it, so when I drive a foreign car I feel guilty and project that guilt onto the landscape.

agentsteel53

is there an American car that will get me 58mpg, like the Prius?  if so, I'd like to try one on my major road trip on July 4th.

jake@aaroads.com

corco

Enterprise will have Chevy Volts available for rent shortly

But yes, the Prius is a bit of an odd duck. If you want a Prius you want a Prius and you're stuck with a Toyota. There's no reason to take a Camry over a Fusion or a Corolla over a Cruze or an Avalon over a Taurus, though.

Alps

Many or even most models of American Toyotas (like the Camry) are made with American labor. Same with Honda, same with BMW, etc. I don't care which country's corporate fat cats own the business. I care whose laborers get paid. Union or non-union makes no difference to me.

corco

QuoteMany or even most models of American Toyotas (like the Camry) are made with American labor. Same with Honda, same with BMW, etc. I don't care which country's corporate fat cats own the business. I care whose laborers get paid. Union or non-union makes no difference to me.

I'd rather our fat cats get the business- the more wealth in this country the better. As far as union v. non-union, I like to know that I'm buying a car built by people who get health insurance and decent living wages. If we want to be a third world sweatshop manufacturing country, buy foreign cars built by domestic non-union laborers. Buy an American made Toyota- we build the car for as little as possible and then give the Japanese all that money+ for the car after we build it- it's pure profit on their end. That's definitely an economic loss.

If anything it should be the other way around- I'd buy a non-union car from a domestic automaker, and I may even consider buying a domestic-produced union car from a foreign automaker, but without at least one of a local company or a union there's no way to ensure that we aren't getting economically screwed.

Alps

Don't want to turn this into a political thread, just know that i disagree with your take on unions.

realjd

I lived in a city (Lafayette, IN) where the made Subarus and Toyota Camrys. I knew a few of the guys working at the plant. Are they less deserving of their jobs and our business because they work for Toyota and not Ford? And FWIW, they weren't unionized because the foreign companies compensate them well enough that they don't want to unionize. It was hardly a sweatshop.

Check the parts source stickers on new cars. Many American companies use primarily Mexican parts. Foreign companies often use a larger number of American parts. For a while the Camry was the most American car in production. It's gotten better, but it's still absurd to buy/drive certain American cars when they're mostly Mexican made. And buying a car with mostly American sourced parts will have a MUCH bigger impact on our economy than buying an "American" car with foreign parts.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0710&referer=&aff=national

Chrysler was German owned until the economy went to crap. Now they're owned by Fiat, an Italian company. By your criteria, they're hardly an American company.

[EDIT - found more recent American parts source list]

corco

QuoteI lived in a city (Lafayette, IN) where the made Subarus and Toyota Camrys. I knew a few of the guys working at the plant. Are they less deserving of their jobs and our business because they work for Toyota and not Ford? And FWIW, they weren't unionized because the foreign companies compensate them well enough that they don't want to unionize. It was hardly a sweatshop.

Check the parts source stickers on new cars. Many American companies use primarily Mexican parts. Foreign companies often use a larger number of American parts. For a while the Camry was the most American car in production. It's gotten better, but it's still absurd to buy/drive certain American cars when they're mostly Mexican made. And buying a car with mostly American sourced parts will have a MUCH bigger impact on our economy than buying an "American" car with foreign parts.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0710&referer=&aff=national

Chrysler was German owned until the economy went to crap. Now they're owned by Fiat, an Italian company. By your criteria, they're hardly an American company.

I'm not going to have the argument because nobody wants to read it and neither of us are going to change anyone else's mind (this is a philosophical argument as much as anything- you can point me to endless amounts of data and I can point you to endless amounts of data. People with PhDs in Economics can't decide what the right answer is, so there's no sense in either of us having the argument. You do what you believe and I'll do what I believe.), but the simple one line rebuttal from my end is that I would urge any and everyone to find a single country in the world (current or historic) that is wealthy and healthy and relies on manufacturing products for foreign companies. There aren't any.

realjd

Quote from: corco on April 24, 2011, 03:05:58 AM
QuoteI lived in a city (Lafayette, IN) where the made Subarus and Toyota Camrys. I knew a few of the guys working at the plant. Are they less deserving of their jobs and our business because they work for Toyota and not Ford? And FWIW, they weren't unionized because the foreign companies compensate them well enough that they don't want to unionize. It was hardly a sweatshop.

I'm not going to have the argument because nobody wants to read it and neither of us are going to change anyone else's mind (this is a philosophical argument as much as anything- you can point me to endless amounts of data and I can point you to endless amounts of data. People with PhDs in Economics can't decide what the right answer is, so there's no sense in either of us having the argument. You do what you believe and I'll do what I believe.), but the simple one line rebuttal from my end is that I would urge any and everyone to find a single country in the world (current or historic) that is wealthy and healthy and relies on manufacturing products for foreign companies. There aren't any.

Considering this is an argument on an internet forum, isn't this the part of the argument where we start calling each other names?  :poke:

Back OT, I think the rental cars that always end up surprising me are the Hyundai's. I have usually have a bad impression of the brand in general, but the cars are surprisingly nice.

I drove a Nissan Aveo last year that was rubbish, which was disappointing considering the Altima is my favorite rental car ever.

When I was in England last month I had a tiny little Mercedes something-or-other. I really enjoyed it. I don't get to drive too many German cars here other than the Audi that my dad owns and lets me drive whenever I'm visiting. I drive an '01 Accord now which I own outright. When I finally decide I can live with car payments again I was going to look at Infinity due to my love of the Altima (or even a Maxima), but I may have to check out German cars. To be honest, if it weren't so expensive to maintain and the gas mileage wasn't so poor, I'd get a used Porsche Cayenne. I want a sporty car and I want a car that could tow something like a boat. That's the only one I've found that could do both. I don't think I could live with the $200 oil changes and 15 mpg. My dad has an Audi A6 TT he loves, and I've driven it a few times and found it to be nice as well.

Two other votes for crappies rental cars - I had a terrible Toyota Corolla once. It was tiny, under powered, and uncomfortable. But I think the king of the crappy rental cars goes to the old Chevy Classics. GM took Malibus, pulled out every useful feature of the car, and put in go kart engines. It was only available as a fleet/rental vehicle. That's one of my biggest pet peeves about rental cars: when they don't include standard features. Enterprise is notorious for this - in fact they were caught having companies remove basic safety features like air bags to lower the cost per car. If cruise control and power windows are standard on the lowest end commercially available version of a car, they should be on the rental car also.

agentsteel53

I've never had a problem with the Corolla.  34-35mpg, generally decently powered, even comes with cruise control most of the time.

my question is - how does going through the effort of removing a part that the factory already installed make the rental cheaper??

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2011, 11:20:18 AM
I've never had a problem with the Corolla.  34-35mpg, generally decently powered, even comes with cruise control most of the time.

my question is - how does going through the effort of removing a part that the factory already installed make the rental cheaper??

This particular Corolla was junk. I can't imagine that they were all that bad. Like the crappy Sentra I got once. I know not all Sentras are bad, just the ones bought by Enterprise.

They don't remove the part themselves. They buy in large enough quantity that they are able to negotiate with the automaker to manufacture the cars without that particular part of feature. Even a $100 savings can add up quickly when you're buying cars in quantities in the tens of thousands. I understand the business decisions behind it, but that doesn't make it any less annoying when I rent a brand new car with no cruise control, power windows, or power mirrors.

The big reason that Enterprise got egg on their face was that they then resold the rental cars when they reached the end of their rental life but didn't disclose that basic safety features were missing.

Truvelo

I have no loyalty when it comes to which company I choose. Once I book the flight I compare prices for the various rental companies at the airport and go with the cheapest. The only thing I stipulate is unlimited mileage and a full size car or higher. If it's a cheap location then I will specify a premium car such as a Grand Marquis. I know it's old school but I like the silky smooth V8 and retro looks. Small 4 cylinder compacts don't do it for me, we have enough of them back home.
Speed limits limit life

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 24, 2011, 11:20:18 AM
For Toyota, items like cruise control are installed literally at the port of entry, so much so that we called them "port installations/modifications" when I worked at a dealer. If the renter wants to save a several thousand by eliminating the feature, they do so.

I use Avis, and yes, I know they've had more owners than likely any other company in the history of the universe. But they haven't really disappointed me yet, and they've looked the other way enough times on dings and scratches that I really start to feel guilty (although I haven't caused any yet).

I did get one of those 2011 Hyundai Elantras, and I did get 38 mpg on the highway, according to the little trip computer (although they typically err on the side of making you feel a little "greener"), that's still impressive for a mostly-highway trip with tall hills and doing about 75-80mph most of the way. Far more fun and frisky compared to the new Sonata with the same engine and transmission; the larger car was less responsive to downshifts, with and without me using the manumatic selector (which was pretty good in the Elantra, the best I've used this side of VW/Audi's DSG). Seats were comfy, and the bizzarre styling but not ugly style works for me.

Just rented a Mitsubishi Galant, and now I understand why Mitsubishi is presently in the toilet, sales-wise in the US. The engine was good and nippy for a four, and it was comfortable enough. After that, the car swayed at speeds over 55 mph (as if it was always windy), the radio didn't have an AUX input (seriously, who doesn't offer this on a 2011 model), the car stank of "old car plastic" (ever been in an 8-10 year old car that wasn't yours? That's sun-baked plastic/vinyl degradation you're inhaling) but it had 6000 miles on it, handled average and bobbed around like a car with worn shocks, just a totally anonymous car with mushy brakes and with zero interior features or basic amenities (change dish? place for my phone? not even a fuel door lever...press the hinged side of the door, no lip on the unhinged side either). A total appliance.

The American car thing is hit or miss; I've had things like the Focus (not all that bad after all these years), and the Impala (boring, unimaginative, and has a throttle pedal that bears a resemblance to stepping on a rock...but a very competent highway eater). Also got an Aveo once (wait, it's Korean) with all the bells and whistles (yes, a power sunroof) that was quirky but not as awful as everyone makes it out to be (I have an innate small-car preference, anyhow...more fun to chuck about).

SP Cook

As to the "American" vs "foreign" debate, it is best left for elsewhere, but thank you realjd for standing up with the facts.  I too live in a communitiy lucky enough to have a Toyota plant.  Great company.  The fact that the long dead founder of the company was Asian and the long dead founder of Ford was American is irrlevant, as both companies make cars worldwide and have stockholders worldwide.

As to rental car companies, we have a contract at work with Enterprise.  They cut corners, and run cars longer before selling them to get business contracts.  When I am paying, I go with Hertz.  Still the gold standard.

Dougtone

I tend to go through the Rental Counter page at PAHighways.com in order to rent a car.  There's usually a discount to be had on rental cars, hotels, and more through Jeff Kitsko's site.
http://www.pahighways.com/store/rentalcounter.html

At first, I went through Thrifty, but I've found that more recently, I've been going through Budget whenever possible.  Budget seems to give me the best savings on a car rental.  I also was able to get a nice one way rental between Albany and Syracuse for $25 for a one day rental back in January, which surprised the lady at the rental counter.  Granted, since my flight from Albany was canceled and the only way for me to get to a funeral in Oregon was to fly out of Syracuse, I would have paid more if it was necessary.

I don't have a preference for foreign or domestic cars when renting, but I tend to go for a mid-sized car, so I have more leg room.

I rented from Avis once, in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.  The Impala I was given was nice, but the rental office was having Internet problems that day, so it held up my rental by about an hour.

realjd

Another good tip for those not able to take advantage of corporate rates on personal rentals - dig around for discounts and coupons. The forums at flyertalk.com are a good place to start. For National, when you search, there's a spot for a "contract ID". This is just that - the id number of a contracted corporate rate. There's a list of current ones here. One guy got his rental down from $600 to $250 using a contract ID:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national/851283-new-discount-contract-ids-coupons-thread.html

Some are iffy as to whether you can use them (some corporate ones), others on the list have been verified open to all (the Wal-Mart and Sam's Club IDs are open to all Wal-Mart customers - i.e. everyone). Regardless, they don't ask for proof of eligibility when renting. Play with the contract IDs to get the best rates. Hint: the university ones often work well.

Many of those companies also negotiated so that under-25 can rent with no surcharge.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dougtone on April 27, 2011, 07:12:51 AM

I rented from Avis once, in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia.  The Impala I was given was nice, but the rental office was having Internet problems that day, so it held up my rental by about an hour.

I got held up for about 2 hours in Iceland ... I forget the exact nature of the delay; I think they didn't have the exact vehicle I wanted in stock.  In that case, it was a small SUV - I had specifically wanted 4x4 capability, as I had planned to drive a few primitive trails.  Got the car, drove the trails, thanked the deities of our choice that we didn't downgrade, as there was one road that was a dirt two-track with a 43% incline - thank goodness for 4L gearing... first gear, 3600rpm, we chugged up that trail at maybe 3 mph!

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on April 27, 2011, 12:33:12 AM
I did get one of those 2011 Hyundai Elantras, and I did get 38 mpg on the highway, according to the little trip computer (although they typically err on the side of making you feel a little "greener"),

I tend to calculate at the pump, assuming the "click full" stays constant over repeated gas-ups.  Probably not a 100% accurate assumption, but usually close enough.

I never overfill.  To the click, then off I go.

Quotethe car swayed at speeds over 55 mph (as if it was always windy)

the two smallest Kias (Rio, and what is the one larger?  I am drawing a total blank on the name ...) have always felt unsteady to me in the wind.  The other day, driving the new northbound 680 bridge between Benicia and Martinez, I actually thought I had a flat tire because of the shaking.  I pulled over after the tollbooths, and it was apparently just the wind!

Quotethe Impala (boring, unimaginative, and has a throttle pedal that bears a resemblance to stepping on a rock...

the car which felt that way to me was the VW Beetle... the weirdest accelerator feel I've ever encountered - I felt that pushing down 30% of the way gave no actual acceleration!

QuoteAlso got an Aveo once (wait, it's Korean) with all the bells and whistles (yes, a power sunroof) that was quirky b ut not as awful as everyone makes it out to be (I have an innate small-car preference, anyhow...more fun to chuck about).

I've always liked the Aveo... 34mpg helps its impression.

jake@aaroads.com

mightyace

Quote from: realjd on April 23, 2011, 09:36:13 PM
I lived in a city (Lafayette, IN) where the made Subarus and Toyota Camrys. I knew a few of the guys working at the plant. Are they less deserving of their jobs and our business because they work for Toyota and not Ford? And FWIW, they weren't unionized because the foreign companies compensate them well enough that they don't want to unionize. It was hardly a sweatshop.

Well, this area has both the GM (former Saturn) Spring Hill assembly plant and Nissan has it's plant in Smyrna  around 40 miles away.  (give or take depending on route)

The employees at Spring Hill make $25-30 per hour while those in Smyrna make $15-20 an hour.

So, I don't think it's "paid enough that they don't want to unionize.  In my opinion it's two things:
1) The pay rate is "good enough"
2) If a Nissan or Toyota or whatever plant ever unionized, the owner would close it within a year!

On the other hand, the Nissan plant is operating near capacity while only about 20% of the Spring Hill GM plant is currently being used.

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Quote from: mightyace on April 29, 2011, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: realjd on April 23, 2011, 09:36:13 PM

Well, this area has both the GM (former Saturn) Spring Hill assembly plant and Nissan has it's plant in Smyrna  around 40 miles away.  (give or take depending on route)

The employees at Spring Hill make $25-30 per hour while those in Smyrna make $15-20 an hour.

So, I don't think it's "paid enough that they don't want to unionize.  In my opinion it's two things:
1) The pay rate is "good enough"
2) If a Nissan or Toyota or whatever plant ever unionized, the owner would close it within a year!

On the other hand, the Nissan plant is operating near capacity while only about 20% of the Spring Hill GM plant is currently being used.

Subtract union dues from the $25-$30 an hour, first.

Brandon

Back on topic...

Never had much trouble with Enterprise, National, Avis, or Thrifty.  Worst experience was with Alamo on Kauai.  Those folks had no sense of customer service and left a bad taste in my mouth.  Car was fine though.  Worst car I ever had for a rental was a Toyota Yaris.  Horrible thing, utter piece of shit.  It was plasticy, underpowered, and felt like driving a tin can.  The worst thing was the placement of the speedometer.  I'm left eye dominant, and the idiot engineers who designed it put the speedometer in the dead center of the dash, between the driver and the passenger.  It was chore just to figure out how fast I was going.  The steering and ride of the thing felt like a 1980s Oldsmobile.  Just terrible, no sense of being in contact with the road.  It was worse than a Geo Metro I got once with a broken driver's seat or the VW Beetle I drove in Cozumel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

golden eagle

The only car I had that I was disappointed with was when I rented a Mitsubishi Diamante to drive from Atlanta (where I was living at the time) to my mother's here in the Sip. It wasn't as fuel-efficient as I thought it would be (it was below half a tank when I got to Birmingham, though it was full when I left Atlanta). This was when gas was less than a dollar ten years ago.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.