News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Disconnected states

Started by usends, March 19, 2009, 03:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade

Back on topic, would US-212 across the northeast corner of Wyoming be what we're looking for here?  The only way into or out of this area involves Montana or South Dakota.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

hotdogPi

Quote from: renegade on July 26, 2019, 07:30:51 PM
Back on topic, would US-212 across the northeast corner of Wyoming be what we're looking for here?  The only way into or out of this area involves Montana or South Dakota.

No :pan:

The ONLY current examples are the Kentucky Bend, the NY/NJ islands, and arguably islands far enough away that you have to go through water not belonging to any state.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bulldog1979

Quote from: catch22 on July 25, 2019, 08:13:36 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 24, 2019, 09:17:15 PM
Is Isle Royale Michigan one as it lies way too far off the coast of Michigan in a part of Lake Superior that is closer to Minnesota.  If it were not a national park it would be more of an issue as many feel that national parks are not part of a state as federal laws prevail there as well as police are usually rangers and I do not think that island is part of any Michigan County even.

Isle Royale is in Keweenaw County.

Isle Royale used to be its own county, but now it is part of Keweenaw County. Moreover, it is part of Houghton and Eagle Harbor townships. One oddity: Houghton Township is northeast of Eagle Harbor Township on Isle Royale, but on the mainland, that is reversed. Houghton Township is south and west of Eagle Harbor Township.

vdeane

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 26, 2019, 05:45:45 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2019, 01:36:55 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 26, 2019, 07:32:59 AM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 26, 2019, 12:44:50 AM
Lol, I love to see this thread revived. Haha but yeah. Alaska and Hawaii are disconnected. Should we count Puerto Rico as well?
What are you even saying?  :confused: :confused: :confused:
He's referencing the fact that this thread was created 10 years ago while at the same time assuming it means "states that aren't connected to the contiguous 48 states" rather than "pieces of states that physically aren't connected to the rest of the state".

It doesn't mean the latter, either, because the OP said the Northwest Angle and Point Roberts don't count as "disconnected" because you can travel to them via the territorial waters, such that you don't have to go outside the state's boundaries at all to get there. That's why the Kentucky Bend does count–there is no way to get there from the rest of Kentucky without leaving the state, regardless of whether it's by land, water, or air. The OP referred to it in terms of there being a completely separate polygon. (An example in Europe would be Baarle Hertog, portions of which cannot be reached from the rest of Belgium via any means without passing through, or over, part of the Netherlands.)
I wasn't necessarily using "physically" to mean only land.  In fact, I was trying not to be too terribly specific about whether such was allowed or not because I wanted to convey the big picture idea of what the thread was about without taking the time to go back and look up whether those examples counted or not myself!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tolbs17

It's better to make a new thread than revive an old one IMO.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on July 26, 2019, 07:46:22 PM

Quote from: renegade on July 26, 2019, 07:30:51 PM

No :pan:

Perhaps, on this site, it needs to be explicitly stated that driving is not the only way to get from A to B:rolleyes:

Besides which, it's perfectly possible to drive a car from US-212 in Wyoming to the rest of the state without going through Montana or South Dakota.  Map here
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 01:11:17 AM

I disagree.

Because invariably, someone will ask, "Didn't we discuss this before," someone one else will answer in the affirmative, and then someone will post a link to the old thread.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 27, 2019, 08:56:23 PM
Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 01:11:17 AM

I disagree.

Because invariably, someone will ask, "Didn't we discuss this before," someone one else will answer in the affirmative, and then someone will post a link to the old thread.
I agree with HB.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

+1 on reviving old threads.  It also lets us see the opinions of ex-members we wouldn't otherwise know.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

golden eagle

Quote from: Gars on June 18, 2009, 11:54:22 AM
Is there a state in which, to get to one mayor city of the state to another, you have to pass throught another state and then return to the first state, aside from the Arizona strip?

The fastest way to go from New Orleans to Monroe, LA is to go through Mississippi.

Beltway

Quote from: usends on March 19, 2009, 03:11:10 PM
Now, in case you're tempted to reply with something like "the Eastern Shore of Virginia", keep in mind that you can hop on a boat in mainland VA and go to the Eastern Shore without passing through another state... so that doesn't count.

Virginia owns the Chesapeake Bay across the southern half of the bay, and between VA Beach and Cape Charles, so what looks disconnected on a land map is very much connected when considering internal waters.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

kphoger

Quote from: golden eagle on July 28, 2019, 11:10:09 PM

Is there a state in which, to get to one mayor city of the state to another, you >> have to << pass throught another state and then return to the first state, aside from the Arizona strip?

The fastest way to go from New Orleans to Monroe, LA is to go through Mississippi.

That is not an answer to the question that was asked.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

I see what he means with that part of KY as its connected to MO and there is no land nor water that is in KY in between that bend part and the rest of the state.

Liberty Island in NY Harbor is the same as you must pass through NJ to get to it from the rest of the state.

Other than that (unless Isle Royale is not even connected by water to Michigan) I cannot find an example.  I often wondered about the Great Lakes if the middle of the lakes is international or what and in Lake Michigan does IL really touch MI in the middle or is there international waters in between as well?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Quote from: roadman65 on July 29, 2019, 11:07:03 PM
I often wondered about the Great Lakes if the middle of the lakes is international or what and in Lake Michigan does IL really touch MI in the middle or is there international waters in between as well?
IL does touch MI and Lake Michigan is not in international waters.

Road Hog

Is there a state in which, to get to one mayor city of the state to another, you have to pass throught another state and then return to the first state, aside from the Arizona strip?

Likewise, the fastest route from the Oklahoma Panhandle to the southern part of the Sooner State is almost entirely through Texas.

hotdogPi

1/3 of Georgia's population is in Eurasia.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

roadman65

Quote from: Road Hog on July 30, 2019, 05:17:54 PM

Likewise, the fastest route from the Oklahoma Panhandle to the southern part of the Sooner State is almost entirely through Texas.
Some parts of NY have points that have NJ in between them.  Even though the NY Thruway is the most direct route from Suffern to Manhattan, as the crow flies to go through NJ is the shortest route.  Some even use the PIP going from Washington Heights to Rockland County via the GWB, and PIP combo.  Though coming back its cheaper to use the Tappan Zee Bridge than the PANYNJ maintained GWB.

Sheryl Crowe

Verlanka

Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2019, 05:25:35 PM
That's a different Georgia.

hbelkins

Quote from: Road Hog on July 30, 2019, 05:17:54 PM

Depending on how bad traffic is in Louisville, it's often faster for my counterpart in the Paducah and Madisonville offices (who lives in Marion) to travel to Frankfort via I-64 through southern Indiana than it is to take the Kentucky parkways.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

So what? The fastest way from Erie to Scranton is through New York, and the border is almost straight.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

webny99

Quote from: 1 on July 31, 2019, 11:13:19 AM
So what? The fastest way from Erie to Scranton is through New York, and the border is almost straight.

Keep in mind, though, that if the border was entirely straight, Erie and most of Erie County would be part of NY.
Thus, a better example is Corry, PA (as Corry is actually south of the 42nd parallel).
As of noon EDT today, the time from Corry to Scranton is 4h 54min via PA 36 and I-80, and 4h 55min via I-86 and I-81. Basically identical time-wise either way.

Even better, Bradford to Scranton, which is 3h 50 via I-86 and I-81, but 4h 20 via US 219 and I-80.

kphoger

Quote from: Verlanka on July 31, 2019, 06:04:43 AM

Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2019, 05:25:35 PM

That's a different Georgia.

We can agree to disagree.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

I wonder if going from Montague, NJ to Camden, NJ is it faster to take I-84 west to I-81 and then use I-476 to I-76 & 676 East?

Sheryl Crowe

KEVIN_224

For reference, Montague, NJ is reached by I-84 Exit 1 of NY. The interstate is literally spitting distance from the state line. OK...maybe if you threw a rock down the road when no drivers were coming! :)

kphoger

The fastest way from Sayre to Hallstead (PA) is by way of New York.

*gasp*  Pennsylvania is a disconnected state!   :rolleyes:
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.