News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Businesses named for highways which no longer pass by the business

Started by DandyDan, March 03, 2013, 02:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

Quote from: mtantillo on March 25, 2013, 08:58:20 PM
What about the reverse?  Highways named for businesses that don't exist anymore? 
In Pottstown, PA, there is an Armand Hammer Blvd. (which I became aware of from its interchange with US 422 on which I used to frequently travel).  It is named for a former president of Occidental Petroleum which at one time was located at the end of the road (since sold and operating as an industrial park).  And as I just found, Arm & Hammer did not come from his name (predated him by a number of years), although he did own stock in that company (Church & Dwight).

On topic, there is the "38 Motel" shown here, which was located on NJ 38 before this stretch was later renumbered as 138 (when it became clear that the gap between the 38s would not be completed).
https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.171289,-74.066913&spn=0.000002,0.001635&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.171285,-74.067276&panoid=fBPVaRDorci3I0nfrlQcCg&cbp=12,114.01,,0,0.45

bulldog1979

In Marquette, Michigan, the only campus that abuts College Avenue is the one for Marquette General Hospital (now "UP Health System—Marquette"). Northern Michigan University's campus no longer extends that far south, and the hospital recently announced plans to build a totally new facility near the Marquette Bypass what will require the construction of a roundabout and the closure of the Grove Street stoplight on that expressway.

sbeaver44

Continuing the reverse situation, the I-83 North Exit 40A (Pennsylvania) ramp turns into Sheraton Drive, which goes to a hotel that presumably was a Sheraton at some point but I remember it being a Holiday Inn and now it is a Clarion Hotel.

TheStranger

It closed sometime in the last ten years, but in Daly City, a "Club 101" existed on Mission Street a block north of East Market Street.  Mission was US 101 from the 1930s to 1964, but from that point on has been Route 82.
Chris Sampang

Henry

Quote from: Alex on March 31, 2014, 02:04:40 PM
Quote from: mtantillo on March 25, 2013, 08:58:20 PM
What about the reverse?  Highways named for businesses that don't exist anymore?  Here in Tysons Corner, VA, we have a Westin hotel with a "Ramada Drive" address.  Interestingly, before it was a Westin, it was a Doubletree, so its named after what was there two businesses ago!

Tennessee 396 west from I-65 named Saturn Parkway, for the former General Motors Saturn Plant and defunct car line.

Well, in keeping with the GM theme...

In Lansing, MI, I-496 is the Ransom E. Olds Freeway, and the car company that was named after him (Oldsmobile) doesn't even exist anymore!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2014, 12:41:08 PM
While were on the subject of expansions, how about timeshare resort named Westgate Resorts.  It was named Westgate because the first resort was located in Kissimmee, Florida in the Main Gate West resort area of Kissimmee.  The area was named because back when Disney was one theme park the US 192 & World Drive interchange was called "The Main Gate."  All parts of US 192 west of World Drive was called "Main Gate West" and all parts east of World Drive was known as "Main Gate East."

Anyway resort owner David Siegel named his first property on US 192 and Old Lake Wilson Road  The Westgate Resort which later became the name of his corporation when he expanded.  His second resort the defunct Sonesta Resort near Sea World he then called Westgate Lakes where this resort is not west of the Gate of Disney nor is the Main Gate of Disney the main entrance  to anything since the expansion of the WDW resort.

Main Gate is close to Disney's Animal Kingdom, and it's a short (and low-traffic) hop from US192 to the that park, unlike most other WDW entrances.

There's a "Motel 90" on LA 182 in Raceland, Louisiana. US 90 disappeared from that alignment in 1978, but was also numbered LA 3198 until it received its present designation around 1999.

txstateends

Saw the 'roads named for businesses' thread and then passed by the opposite the other night:
https://goo.gl/maps/PqJD6daikb22

The 183 Motel in Euless, TX is along a previous alignment of TX 183, but 183 has LONG since been part of Airport Frwy., a few miles to the north.  The road in front of the motel has since been renumbered TX 10.

I don't know of any other business around here that is named for a previously numbered road.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

hbelkins

I'm pretty sure there's a business with the number "42" in it along TN 111 between Cookeville and US 127 at the Kentucky state line. That route used to be numbered TN 42, and for awhile was co-signed 42 and 111, before 42 was dumped in favor of 111 alone. There were some mile markers that still referenced TN 42 the last time I was on that road a few years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

41 Lumber in Michigan's UP is named for US-41.  The first location named "41 Lumber" is on US-41 in Marquette, although the company had prior locations under other names.  The Escanaba and Houghton locations are on US-41, and the Larium location is just a few blocks off the highway.  But they also have locations in Iron Mountain and Munising not on the highway.

Not a case of the road moving away from the business, but rather the business expanding to areas where the road doesn't go.

bulldog1979

jp the roadgeek

Deli 66 and Super 66 liquors in Cheshire and Southington, CT (now CT 322).  There's also a Phillips 66, but it came way after the number change.

Route 72 Plaza (also used to be Route 72 Diner) in East Berlin, CT (now CT 372)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

The Nature Boy

Quote from: bulldog1979 on September 02, 2017, 08:15:21 PM
How about Phillips 66, named in part for US 66?

I'm not sure if I'd count this. US 66 nostalgia is still big business so the name is still relevant for that interest.

westerninterloper

I misread this and though it was roads names for extinct businesses; I can think of several.

As for businesses named for extinct roads, perhaps those named for historical highways, like the Lincoln, or Dixie Bee - a lot of businesses keep those names even though the official designations are long gone.
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

hotdogPi

Quote from: westerninterloper on September 03, 2017, 09:22:16 PM
I misread this and though it was roads names for extinct businesses; I can think of several.

This is a spinoff of the "roads names for extinct businesses" thread, which also exists.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

bzakharin

The Ellisburg Circle Shopping Center in Cherry Hill is named after the traffic circle that was demolished in 1992. Sometime after 2012 the word "circle" was dropped on the big sign, but the property owner (http://www.federalrealty.com/properties/ellisburg/) and various tenants (https://www.wellsfargo.com/locator/bank/?il=EN&slindex=2) still use the version with "circle" in it sporadically.

TheStranger

Years ago, there was a "101 Club" on Mission Street in Daly City (the bar has since reopened as something completely different), which remained into the 1990s even though this stretch of US 101 became Route 82 in 1964.

Chris Sampang

roadfro

Reno, NV has two businesses on E 4th St east of downtown: "Abby's Hwy 40 Bar" and "Hi-Way 40 Motel". These are both located along former US 40, which was decommissioned in Nevada by 1976. (And both establishments use a colored US highway shield design in their signage.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Terry Shea

Just south of Ithaca, MI is a Halloween haunted barn business called "Terror On 27".  The highway it's on used to be US-27, but it's been decommissioned in Michigan.  It's now US-127, but the haunted barn is still called Terror On 27.

busman_49

Cincinnati (Springdale) has a Sheraton Lane.  It used to go to a Sheraton Hotel, but the hotel changed hands a few times, then closed, and has since been demolished.  But Sheraton Lane is still hanging on.

TheHighwayMan3561

6 & 40 Motel in Idaho Springs, CO. Those two US routes are on I-70 now and I think CDOT official policy is that they do not exist along the I-70 multiplex.

One I just drove past today, the Highway 61 Stop convenience store in Harris, MN. Chisago County designates their section of Old 61 as County 30.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

theline

Quote from: busman_49 on October 25, 2017, 03:02:13 PM
Cincinnati (Springdale) has a Sheraton Lane.  It used to go to a Sheraton Hotel, but the hotel changed hands a few times, then closed, and has since been demolished.  But Sheraton Lane is still hanging on.

I think you posted this in the wrong thread, busman. You were probably looking for "Roads named for businesses which no longer exist (there)." The similar names are confusing. Here's that thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18246.msg2155329#msg2155329

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 25, 2017, 04:11:28 PM
6 & 40 Motel in Idaho Springs, CO. Those two US routes are on I-70 now and I think CDOT official policy is that they do not exist along the I-70 multiplex.

Along that same idea, I believe there are some "6 & 24"  businesses between Minturn and Grand Jct along I-70. US 6 still exists and might leave I-70 in some of these areas, but 24 has been truncated out of this area.

KCRoadFan

I was just thinking about how in the KC suburb of Shawnee, KS, there is a shopping center at the corner of Shawnee Mission Parkway and Quivira Road called 10 Quivira Plaza (GSV link: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0148911,-94.7240465,3a,37.5y,348.14h,97.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6T9cFbNyoGvxnJ79IZEf8Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192).

The "10" in the name refers to the fact that at one time, K-10 used to run along SMP until the current freeway was built; according to the highway's Wikipedia page, the current alignment was completed in 1984. Anyway, what other businesses do you know of whose names derive from the highway they were on when they were built, but have since become outdated due to the highway itself later being diverted to a new alignment or changing to a different number? I'm sure there are several examples throughout the country.

Scott5114

Had a thread about this a couple of years ago: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21041

I want to say there was a more recent one, but I'm having trouble finding it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 30, 2020, 10:59:45 PM
Had a thread about this a couple of years ago: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21041

I want to say there was a more recent one, but I'm having trouble finding it.
I'm pretty sure there's been one since I came back this year, because I remember posting in it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.