Toll collectors - nostalgia for lost human touch

Started by Stephane Dumas, March 29, 2013, 10:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 05, 2013, 01:53:06 PM
In Michigan where I live, the only toll roads we have are crossing the Mackinac Bridge or crossing into Canada (either through a tunnel or across a bridge). I have zero desire to purchase an EZ-Pass transponder and prefer to pay with cash for almost everything. I don't drive on toll roads often, but when I do, I plan in advance to make sure I have the right cash (coins or paper bills). Sometimes I have to research in advance to see if there is a human option for paying the toll. Most of the time (like if I'm on the Ohio Turnpike), that option is available so I don't have to worry about exact change.

Regarding gas stations, I rarely use pay-at-the-pump. I love using cash. However, the one inconvenience about paying with cash is that most gas stations around here require you to prepay, and I always like to have a completely full tank. That means I have to overestimate how much it will cost me to fill up my tank, go inside to pay, come back out to fill up, and then go back in a second time to get my change. That's okay though; my desire to pay with cash trumps this minor inconvenience.

Regarding self-checkout at the grocery store, I sometimes use it if I am only buying a few items. If I have a shopping cart full of groceries, I'd rather interact with a human cashier.

In general, I prefer the human touch in most transactions when it's possible.

OT, but:
I absolutely HATE using cash here in the US. The fact that taxes are priced in at the register means I quickly end up with a pocket full of stupid small coins. Every other country on the planet does it right where something priced $3 at the store actually costs $3, not $3.18 like here.

SP Cook

Regarding gas stations, I rarely use pay-at-the-pump. I love using cash.

I dispise to go into a gas station.  Because really there are no more "gas stations" around here.  There are "convinece stores".  Which means there are places with gas pumps out front that sell lottery tickets, beer, soda pop, smokes, and candy inside (along with other items at triple the regular price).  Which means I am going to be in line behind a half-dozen people, including:

- The cigarette addict.  Who will ask for varrious combination of weird generic brands, a pack at a time, until he runs out of money.
- The degenerate gambler.  Who thinks its OK to start with 20 or 50 scratch off tickets and continue to play until down to zero.  Often illiterate, asking the clerk "did I win?" (umm, if you are too stupid to know, you are probably too stupid to be risking your income).
- The food stamp scammer.  Who will ask the clerk to re ring her purchases over and over, recharacterizing her purchases as "food" (which can be paid for by the "food stamp" portion of her welfare card) and "other" which can be paid for by the "general" portion of her welfare card) in order to max out the amount of stuff she can call "food".  Never bothering to go to a real, umm, store (where the prices are 1/3rd as much) or asking about that big sign over the register reading "HELP WANTED".
- The alcoholic.  Counting out change bummed in the parking lot to see if he has enough to get another pounder.
- The mom.  With two or three kids, all of who have a candy bar and scream for it. 

No thanks.  Pay at the pump.

allniter89

Quote from: SP Cook on April 07, 2013, 07:58:04 AM

I dispise to go into a gas station.  Because really there are no more "gas stations" around here.  There are "convinece stores".  Which means there are places with gas pumps out front that sell lottery tickets, beer, soda pop, smokes, and candy inside (along with other items at triple the regular price).  Which means I am going to be in line behind a half-dozen people, including:

- The cigarette addict.  Who will ask for varrious combination of weird generic brands, a pack at a time, until he runs out of money.
- The degenerate gambler.  Who thinks its OK to start with 20 or 50 scratch off tickets and continue to play until down to zero.  Often illiterate, asking the clerk "did I win?" (umm, if you are too stupid to know, you are probably too stupid to be risking your income).
- The food stamp scammer.  Who will ask the clerk to re ring her purchases over and over, recharacterizing her purchases as "food" (which can be paid for by the "food stamp" portion of her welfare card) and "other" which can be paid for by the "general" portion of her welfare card) in order to max out the amount of stuff she can call "food".  Never bothering to go to a real, umm, store (where the prices are 1/3rd as much) or asking about that big sign over the register reading "HELP WANTED".
- The alcoholic.  Counting out change bummed in the parking lot to see if he has enough to get another pounder.
- The mom.  With two or three kids, all of who have a candy bar and scream for it. 

plus an incompetent clerk running the cash register who may or may not understand or speak English! Definitely pay at the pump
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

kkt

I pay at the pump just to avoid the walk and wait.  Oh, and to avoid leaving the car unattended in case some brave thief tries something.

US81

I use pay at the pump. I frequently use self-checkout. I would use an automated pay-as-you-go system if I were given the option. But where I am, my choices are transponder or pay-by-mail, and since pay by mail has so many problems, I don't use the toll roads.

kphoger

Pay at the pump and the ATM both allow me to do my business without having to go inside somewhere, which is a small benefit to me.  But, in the case of the self checkout at the grocery store, I'm already in the store.  In the case of a toll road, I'm already on the road.  In those two cases, the benefit to me is quite small.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Pay at the pump allows me to get in and get out at the gas station.  ATMs are fine as I can take out money when I want without worrying about banker's hours.  I'd rather go through a checkout line at the grocery store though as the automated ones are a pain in the ass to use with coupons.  I do love my transponder since I don't have to slow down or stop for a toll anymore.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Times have changed. Back in the MTR days, I remember a thread about what devices and supplies one takes on trips. I mentioned a cooler full of pop, and you said you preferred to stop at a store to get a soft drink and interact with the locals.

The problem with C-stores is they often have only one clerk to handle the long line of smokers, lottery players, alkies and others. Plus many allow smoking, or look the other way when people violate no-smoking laws, which means you reek after having been inside.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

djsinco

Each time a loaded tractor trailer starts from a complete stop, it will use ~ 1 gallon of diesel to return to highway speed. Multiply that by each truck stopping for every toll booth for a year, and in the US alone, it is a staggering number. This is a great argument for a standardized, national transponder. Think of not only the waste if fuel, but the environmental impact, and the safety aspect. Each truck which stops then has to merge back with cars, who have a higher percentage of transponder use, often due to the fact that they are local traffic.
3 million miles and counting

realjd

Quote from: hbelkins on April 08, 2013, 06:00:13 PM

Times have changed. Back in the MTR days, I remember a thread about what devices and supplies one takes on trips. I mentioned a cooler full of pop, and you said you preferred to stop at a store to get a soft drink and interact with the locals.

The problem with C-stores is they often have only one clerk to handle the long line of smokers, lottery players, alkies and others. Plus many allow smoking, or look the other way when people violate no-smoking laws, which means you reek after having been inside.

I usually pay at the pump and then go in for a caffeinated diet soda and I don't know that I've ever been in a convenience store anywhere in the world that had people smoking inside. Is that a Kentucky thing?

kkt

Quote from: djsinco on April 08, 2013, 08:02:44 PM
Each time a loaded tractor trailer starts from a complete stop, it will use ~ 1 gallon of diesel to return to highway speed. Multiply that by each truck stopping for every toll booth for a year, and in the US alone, it is a staggering number. This is a great argument for a standardized, national transponder. Think of not only the waste if fuel, but the environmental impact, and the safety aspect. Each truck which stops then has to merge back with cars, who have a higher percentage of transponder use, often due to the fact that they are local traffic.

I thought it was an argument for paying for our roads through gas taxes.

djsinco

You have added another point for my argument; as trucks slow, stand, and re-accelerate, those areas of pavement are stressed and damaged way more than those where a heavy vehicle just passes through at speed....
3 million miles and counting

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Brandon on April 08, 2013, 04:46:22 PM
Pay at the pump allows me to get in and get out at the gas station.  ATMs are fine as I can take out money when I want without worrying about banker's hours.  I'd rather go through a checkout line at the grocery store though as the automated ones are a pain in the ass to use with coupons.  I do love my transponder since I don't have to slow down or stop for a toll anymore.

I'm always amazed at the people that will use an ATM in a store and get charged the surcharges (assuming it's not their bank's ATM), then pay with that cash at the checkout line.  They could've used their ATM card at checkout then gotten extra cash back, without the fees.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 09, 2013, 09:35:36 AM

I'm always amazed at the people that will use an ATM in a store and get charged the surcharges (assuming it's not their bank's ATM), then pay with that cash at the checkout line.  They could've used their ATM card at checkout then gotten extra cash back, without the fees.
The same reason why some people still write checks at the register when the Debit Card will do the same exact thing minus the cost of the checks being printed out and faster check out as they do not have to present their ID.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kkt

Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2013, 11:37:08 AM

The same reason why some people still write checks at the register when the Debit Card will do the same exact thing minus the cost of the checks being printed out and faster check out as they do not have to present their ID.

A check is not exactly the same thing as a debit card.  A check:  has stronger legal protections about what can be done with the account number and how the debt can be collected if it doesn't go through; takes money out a day or two later, so money can be moved from one account to another to cover it; lets you write on the check what it's for; shows who deposited it on the back.  On some accounts, checks clearing is free but there's a service charge associated with every debit transaction.

agentsteel53

Quote from: allniter89 on April 07, 2013, 10:39:46 PM

plus an incompetent clerk running the cash register who may or may not understand or speak English! Definitely pay at the pump

I have not ever noticed a strong correlation between "speaks English" and "can do math competently".  I've had lots of clerks with shaky English who could recognize a US $20 and give back change quickly and efficiently.  I've also had lots of "America fuck yeah" types who couldn't count past 8 without pulling their pants down.

as for the degenerate drunks ... yeah if you're using your last $1.82 in pennies to buy a 40 of King Cobra, you need to seriously re-evaluate your life decisions.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Or the guy who pumps $5 of gas, then wants a pack of cigarettes, then realizes he doesn't have enough money for both, then asks if they can take back some of the gas!

On long trips, though, we always use gas station stops as potty breaks, so we're going inside anyway.  Half the time, too, we're buying a snack or a drink.  Paying inside or outside doesn't really matter in that case.  Paying cash up front, I can tack on snack purchases at the end and only have one transaction; paying at the pump, I save a tiny bit of walking.  Neither one is that big a deal.

I've found that toll collectors on the Kansas Turnpike are pretty friendly about two out of three times, and are never really unpleasant.  When there was a bad accident south of Wichita one day this year, in fact, I witnessed the toll collector at the Kellogg exit step out of the booth (exiting side) in between transactions to ask what direction entering motorists were going and to warn them of the situation.  Very cool, and you don't get that with a machine.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on April 09, 2013, 01:50:08 PM
Or the guy who pumps $5 of gas, then wants a pack of cigarettes, then realizes he doesn't have enough money for both, then asks if they can take back some of the gas!

people that fiend for cigarettes irk me.  dude, it's a recreational expense, not an emergency - buy them later.

jake@aaroads.com

Mr_Northside

AMEN! 
Actually, If I need cash and there isn't a "my-bank" ATM around, I'll try to find a store where I can buy something, usually non-perishable, that I'll eventually use (Ex: a bottle of shampoo), pay for it with a card and get cash back.
Most of the time, ATM fees are outrageous these days The fact my bank now charges $2.50 any time I use some other bank's ATM (on top of that ATM's charges) particularly grinds my gears.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

kendancy66

There is a 7-Eleven near where I live where the ATM doesn't charge a fee.  And it is not a major bank ATM.  Also my bank reimburses me up to 15.00 per month for other banks ATM charges in addition to not charging a fee themselves.  The reimbursement covers about 5-6 atm withdraws a month, which is more than enough.

empirestate

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 09, 2013, 02:56:03 PM

AMEN! 
Actually, If I need cash and there isn't a "my-bank" ATM around, I'll try to find a store where I can buy something, usually non-perishable, that I'll eventually use (Ex: a bottle of shampoo), pay for it with a card and get cash back.
Most of the time, ATM fees are outrageous these days The fact my bank now charges $2.50 any time I use some other bank's ATM (on top of that ATM's charges) particularly grinds my gears.

Sheetz has free ATM's.

vdeane

Quote from: kkt on April 09, 2013, 11:56:29 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 09, 2013, 11:37:08 AM

A check is not exactly the same thing as a debit card.  A check:  has stronger legal protections about what can be done with the account number and how the debt can be collected if it doesn't go through; takes money out a day or two later, so money can be moved from one account to another to cover it; lets you write on the check what it's for; shows who deposited it on the back.  On some accounts, checks clearing is free but there's a service charge associated with every debit transaction.
Also: with a check, you're writing the amount.  With a debit card, you hope there isn't some technical problem causing you to be over-charged (which does happen).  While with a credit card you can dispute that, with a debit card you can't, so the money is gone forever with no recourse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

I am astonished that people prefer debit cards to credit cards.

apart from the opportunity to get cash back, I see no advantages, and the inability to review and dispute purchases within the next month or so seems to be a critical weakness. 

why do people like them so much?

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2013, 12:09:47 PM
I am astonished that people prefer debit cards to credit cards...why do people like them so much?

I suppose they can't spend more than they have, which doesn't ruin their monthly limits, and essentially, there's no bill to pay later. On the other hand, some people don't want nor can have credit cards due to their credit score. I prefer my credit card; I get an idea at the end of the month what I'm spending money on, and I very rarely carry much cash. Hell, I don't even know my PIN any more on my ATM card, I probably last used it 8-9 years ago.

...which means I see a teller at the bank. That's an example of when I prefer to see someone in person rather than a machine that might make a mistake. Many years ago, I withdrew $100, but exactly nothing came out of the slot. I complained, and received the money back in my account seven business days later. Even though that wouldn't deplete me as badly today, I say: Screw That.

As for tolls, I much prefer the electronic collections; I don't have to wait for someone who suddenly asked for directions from the collector, fumbles with cash, and the like. Although I visit the c-stores inside gas stations frequently for a snack or drink, I despise the 1-2 times of year I have to pre-pay for some reason (for example, a credit card machine that doesn't work). I vaguely know my own car's tank, but some rental car that must be filled? Good luck!

Self-checkout isn't perfect; I like it when it works. But when it doesn't work, probably because I bought cold medication or something with a UPC that couldn't be read, I hate watching that flashing light, and then waiting 5 minutes for some imaginary personnel to tell me I'm an idiot.

empirestate

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 10, 2013, 12:09:47 PM
I am astonished that people prefer debit cards to credit cards.

apart from the opportunity to get cash back, I see no advantages, and the inability to review and dispute purchases within the next month or so seems to be a critical weakness. 

why do people like them so much?

Well, cash back, as you mentioned. I also like that the transaction is declined if the money isn't there; although many banks offer the option to overdraw on debit purchases, I believe by law you must opt-in to this feature. There are also still those banks that issue debit-only cards, so if that's the account you want to use, then debit is your only option.

But your typical bank card works as both credit and debit, and in many or most instances, I'd agree that credit is preferable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.