News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Ruby Tuesday to close 95 locations in the next month

Started by jp the roadgeek, August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

http://www.ibtimes.com/ruby-tuesday-close-95-locations-after-declining-fiscal-years-2015-2016-2400950

Used to eat there all the time in my travels about 15-20 years ago when it was a casual place with a Friday's type atmosphere.  Then they decided to get all upscale and pricey, and that turned me off.  Just saw they closed one not too far away from me in Enfield, CT last week (rough year for Enfield Square as it already lost its Macy's in January).  Was one of the few that had video trivia back in the day.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jeffandnicole

They also had one of the most expensive salad bars, at a time when salads from similar restaurants were free.  While they did eventually roll back the price, it was just one of a number of missteps they company made. As mentioned, they tried going upscale. Then they tried being a place for burgers. Instead of being them, they tried being everyone. Rarely does that work out well...

epzik8

One of my local Ruby Tuesday restaurants in Bel Air, Maryland is now an IHOP. To add a roadgeek element to this post, it's along an auxiliary U.S. route: U.S. Route 1 Business.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: epzik8 on August 16, 2016, 12:15:36 AM
One of my local Ruby Tuesday restaurants in Bel Air, Maryland is now an IHOP. To add a roadgeek element to this post, it's along an auxiliary U.S. route: U.S. Route 1 Business.

Actually ate at that one once way back before Ruby's went fancy.  The Friday's across MD 24 had a much better atmosphere.   A couple of Ruby's in Southington and Waterbury, CT  also became IHOPs.   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Scott5114

I remember eating at one as a kid and complaining that the reason it was called Ruby Tuesday was because it took until Tuesday for the food to be delivered.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Regardless of cost, I always thought the salad bar there was worth it. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2016, 04:41:43 AM
I remember eating at one as a kid and complaining that the reason it was called Ruby Tuesday was because it took until Tuesday for the food to be delivered.

What if you were dining there on a Tuesday...?

froggie

QuoteRegardless of cost, I always thought the salad bar there was worth it.

So did I.  I prefer putting my own together vice going with whatever the restaurant default is.

formulanone

Inconsistent service (wait times, serving times, portions) seemed to be common at most Ruby Tuesdays my wife and I would visit. I'm not talking about +/- 5 minutes, more like +20 minutes without any notification; I understand that anyone can have a bad day, but this seemed to be every other visit at various locations. Finally, hair in our food and serving our appetizers after the main course (after another lengthy wait) meant we closed the book on any future visits. Management wasn't helpful...while not rude, they didn't offer any discount. They finally said they'd cut the bill when we said "well, we refuse to pay" (something I've never done before nor since).

Good riddance.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 15, 2016, 06:48:50 PM
http://www.ibtimes.com/ruby-tuesday-close-95-locations-after-declining-fiscal-years-2015-2016-2400950

Used to eat there all the time in my travels about 15-20 years ago when it was a casual place with a Friday's type atmosphere.  Then they decided to get all upscale and pricey, and that turned me off.  Just saw they closed one not too far away from me in Enfield, CT last week (rough year for Enfield Square as it already lost its Macy's in January).  Was one of the few that had video trivia back in the day.

This actually surprised me. My girlfriend told me that it had gotten too expensive for a Friday's style casual restaurant and I was surprised.

Scott5114

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on August 16, 2016, 07:52:49 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 16, 2016, 04:41:43 AM

What if you were dining there on a Tuesday...?

I was like eight and didn't think it through that far. And I think we were there on a Wednesday or a Thursday.

Needless to say, the fact that the long wait time is the only memory I have of the place doesn't cast them in a good light.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2016, 02:03:25 PM

So did I.  I prefer putting my own together vice going with whatever the restaurant default is.

I third that.  It's a little pricey but I think it's one of the better salad bars as far as a straightforward salad.  If my wife wants to go to RT for dinner, I often get just the salad bar because everything else on their menu is loaded with fat/grease/sauces.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on August 16, 2016, 02:03:25 PM

The Annapolis Tuesday's is on Md. 2 (Solomons Island Road) across from Parole Plaza south of Md. 450 (West Street). I always found the service there to be decent. 

Maybe because there is a lot of nearby competition, including Chili's, Friday's, Applebee's and a fairly new Gordon Biersch Brewing Company.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

Ruby Tuesday's salad bar wasn't all that competitive compared to Charlie Brown's (NJ local chain). The latter went through a bankruptcy due to the CEO accepting kickbacks. Its still going strong and reopening locations that were shuttered during the reorganization.

1995hoo

Guess this gives new meaning to the song's lyrics.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 17, 2016, 07:00:07 PM

The Rolling Stones predicted it, even before the restaurant chain started :D

I've never eaten at a Ruby Tuesday, but I did go to TGIF for the first time in April in Williamsport, PA. I thought the food was pretty good, and my brother and I thought the blue slushies were cool. We often get them at the movies, but this was the first time we've ever seen them at a sit-down restaurant.

US71

I've been using that for years and no one ever caught it. Now it seems everyone is using it. :(

Fayetteville and Bentonville, AR just announced closings today. Fort Smith is still open...for now
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jp the roadgeek

3 casualties now in my area (CT/western MA): The aforementioned Enfield, plus Newington and Trumbull. The latter 2 are no longer on their website.

sparker

The only time I ate at a Ruby Tuesday's was when my GF had to temporarily relocate to Atlanta several years ago to care for her father, who had fallen very ill.  One was on US 78 out in Snellville, close to his residence, so the first time I went back for a visit, we dined there a couple of times.  My recollection was that it was pretty expensive for what you got -- it did have a decent salad bar, but if you went there for dinner rather than lunch, it certainly wasn't worth the price of admission.  Not surprised to hear the chain's fallen on hard times!

PHLBOS

In the wake of the recent closings; only 4 Ruby Tuesdays, including the one nearest to me, in the Delaware Valley remain open (3 in southeastern PA & 1 in South Jersey).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

golden eagle

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this topic.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

abefroman329

It looks like all of the Chicagoland locations are closed - I knew the locations in Lincolnwood Mall and the Hampton Inn near Old Orchard closed (the former is a delicious Cuban restaurant now).

It also looks like the location in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of DC closed.

ET21

I never liked Ruby Tuesday, had it a couple times over a Northeast trip but wasn't impressed. Once the prices surged I never returned
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

The one at the Mall at Rockingham Park, which is the only location I've seen one, is now a Red Robin. It happened about a year or two ago.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.