DeSantis rejects federal funding that 'politicises' roads

Started by Otto Yamamoto, December 17, 2023, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 25, 2024, 10:37:37 AM
DeSantis will leave office in 2027 (due to term limits). Perhaps the next Florida Governor will not be so quick to reject federal funding. I hope he/she supports building new toll roads and new toll lanes.
Aside from northeastern states, well, and my home state, isn't Florida already like one of the toll road capitals? And didn't the state just propose a massive toll road expansion that was shut down by environmentalist?

And without trying to be too political, I disagree with DeSantis on a lot of issues, and unless this carbon reduction study, comes with some sort of strings attached type thing where they're required to act on it, I'd just do the study, and move on, and accept the money. But I can also kind of see where he's coming from here. Having this requirement attached to federal money for road expansions or preservation makes no sense to me but whatever.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 29, 2024, 12:55:28 AM
DeSantis will leave office in 2027 (due to term limits). Perhaps the next Florida Governor will not be so quick to reject federal funding. I hope he/she supports building new toll roads and new toll lanes.
Aside from northeastern states, well, and my home state, isn't Florida already like one of the toll road capitals? And didn't the state just propose a massive toll road expansion that was shut down by environmentalist?

And without trying to be too political, I disagree with DeSantis on a lot of issues, and unless this carbon reduction study, comes with some sort of strings attached type thing where they're required to act on it, I'd just do the study, and move on, and accept the money. But I can also kind of see where he's coming from here. Having this requirement attached to federal money for road expansions or preservation makes no sense to me but whatever.
CRP isn't for road expansions or preservation.

Like I said above, the fact that he turned CRP (a new federal program) down while accepting CMAQ (a quite old federal program), when both programs have similar goals and requirements makes this a purely stupid political play at the cost of not being able to fund ped/bike/transit improvements.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

Like I said above, the fact that he turned CRP (a new federal program) down while accepting CMAQ (a quite old federal program), when both programs have similar goals and requirements makes this a purely stupid political play at the cost of not being able to fund ped/bike/transit improvements.

I'm guessing the name of the CRP program was "too woke" or something.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on January 29, 2024, 12:52:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 07:13:41 AM

I'm guessing the name of the CRP program was "too woke" or something.
I know...consideration of people traveling without cars or in wheelchairs is just too woke for them down there..despite it being God's waiting room.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Right because Florida doesn't invest in any alternative transit other than cars.

Road Hog

DeSantis is not running for president anymore and doesn't have anywhere else to go politically other than primarying a sitting senator, so maybe he'll play out the string by actually governing instead.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on January 29, 2024, 05:07:16 PM
Right because Florida doesn't invest in any alternative transit other than cars.
Since they do, all the more reason why they shouldn't turn down CRP funding.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 05:35:27 PM
Maybe they have more than enough crp?

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 29, 2024, 07:13:16 PM
Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 05:35:27 PM
Maybe they have more than enough crp?

They turned it all down.  And, Florida has plenty of ADA non-compliance to rectify, which would be CRP eligible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.