News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Strange place names

Started by cjk374, August 17, 2014, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

https://www.flickr.com/photos/flickr/galleries/72157646416075461/

I think we had a thread about this some time ago.  I was surprised by 1) how many are listed from England, and 2) a place I've been in Arkansas gets a nod here.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

I don't have time right now to look for the previous thread, but a search for "Asbestos" and "Swastika" (two Canadian places I've visited) should help track it down.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

billtm

Dildo, Newfoundland, Canada. :-D

golden eagle

There's also a Santa Claus in Indiana.

hotdogPi

Truth or Consequences, New Mexico

Maybe we should keep the list going in the other thread instead, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Fucking, Austria.

And Greutli-Laager, Tenn. would have to be on this list.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Shit, Iran.

And your guys will love this village in Northern Spain :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

freebrickproductions

All Good, Alabama.
Flat Rock, Alabama.
Cotaco (pronounced ko-tay-ko), Alabama.
Oneonta, Alabama (I'll let y'all figure it out).
Opelika, Alabama.
New Hope, Alabama.
And that's just a few of the odder names in Alabama.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

Close to me is a town of Little Hope, WI.

wxfree

Quote from: hbelkins on August 17, 2014, 01:01:28 PM
Fucking, Austria.

I read that they changed the spelling on the signs to a more traditional form due to sign theft.  I thought they should have left it and put up new signs saying: "Please don't steal the Fucking signs."
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

yanksfan6129

cl94

Half of the towns in New Jersey...

Intercourse, PA
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

The Nature Boy

Hell, Michigan and Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina were always favorites of mine.

Brandon

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 19, 2014, 09:13:12 AM
Hell, Michigan and Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina were always favorites of mine.

Just remember, Hell is close to the UofM, and Paradise is in the UP.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

formulanone

Lake Barackzebub and Lake of the Financial Crisis? The fishing in Artisan Lakes must be stocked with despair...

Marge Lake and Alfalfa Lake do look a bit like their namesakes, and Isosceles Lake is what it is.

https://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=27.607458,-82.512689&spn=0.011922,0.01929&sll=27.499897,-82.528782&sspn=0.047735,0.077162&t=h&z=16

kurumi

Netcong, New Jersey sounds like it was named around 1968 -- but the name arises from nearby Lake Musconetcong.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

formulanone

Quote from: kurumi on August 26, 2014, 11:33:06 AM
Netcong, New Jersey sounds like it was named around 1968 -- but the name arises from nearby Lake Musconetcong.

I always thought it sounded like one of those start-up ISPs that quietly disappeared around 1996 or so.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that it is in the news, somewhere in Africa is the Ebola river :evilgrin:

The river was before, though, and named the disease.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

wxfree

Woman Hollering Creek

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4935999,-98.2074744,3a,75y,285.6h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6mNogH-PsKQ8cwgkXmTUEg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It's a poor translation of "llorona," which means crying woman, or weeping, or maybe wailing.  "Hollering" probably isn't the best translation.  I have no idea why the word order is reversed.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Max Rockatansky

Why, Nothing, Total Wreck, Vulture City, and Big Bug in Arizona.

jakeroot

Not at all to the level of some of the cities above, but Federal Way, WA always struck me as odd. The city is named after the US-99, which once bisected it (now just WA-99). Federal Highway US-99.

allniter89

Bug Tussle AL, Little Heaven, DE, Sylacauga, AL, Gomer Pyle was born here.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

There's a Bugtussle, Oklahoma, too. 1970s Speaker of the House Carl Albert was from there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.