Interstates where at least one direction has a single lane

Started by STLmapboy, May 11, 2020, 06:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

I-64 westbound briefly has a single through lane as it merges onto its concurrency with I-95 northbound in Richmond, VA.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 12, 2020, 12:45:56 AMI-293 becomes one lane for a few feet as it merges with the Everett Turnpike northbound.  It also becomes one lane southbound as it merges with NH 101

Similarly the ramp carrying I-293 southbound from the Everett Turnpike to 101 east also narrows to a single lane.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

frankenroad

2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

Ketchup99

Once the interchange is complete, I-99 will be a single lane when carried from the Bellefonte Bypass to the I-80 concurrency.

kphoger

How would you classify northbound I-35 at the CBP checkpoint between Laredo and Encinal, TX?  All traffic from the checkpoint funnels into one lane before resuming travel on the original mainline pavement.  I believe this used to be striped as two lanes, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore based on the most recent GSV.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doorknob60

I-84 eastbound exits onto itself at I-86 in Idaho, and the exit ramp is only one lane. They are currently rebuilding the interchange, but I don't think they're adding lanes. Can't tell, there's almost no info on ITD's website :banghead:

ftballfan

This portion of WB I-96 has only one through lane briefly as the right of two lanes that continue past Exit 30B is an exit only to SB Alpine Ave. Not long after Exit 30B diverges, two lanes come in from (unsigned) I-296 on the left

plain

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 12, 2020, 09:50:50 AM
I-64 westbound briefly has a single through lane as it merges onto its concurrency with I-95 northbound in Richmond, VA.

Also at the same interchange, I-64 EB briefly becomes one lane before receiving additional lanes from 7th Street and I-95 NB.
Newark born, Richmond bred

mrcmc888

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

sprjus4

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2020, 03:43:04 PM
How would you classify northbound I-35 at the CBP checkpoint between Laredo and Encinal, TX?  All traffic from the checkpoint funnels into one lane before resuming travel on the original mainline pavement.  I believe this used to be striped as two lanes, but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore based on the most recent GSV.

Curious on the background of why this one is so far from the border.

cpzilliacus

I-395 northbound on the ramp from the Southwest Freeway to Third Street Tunnel has a posted speed limit of 35 MPH approaching Exit 6 (C Street, S.W.) and has one lane, and on typical morning commute periods is quite congested as a result.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jmacswimmer

I-83 NB and SB passing thru the Eisenhower interchange in Harrisburg.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadrunner75

Quote from: SectorZ on May 13, 2020, 09:35:12 AM

What is stopping people from bypassing this checkpoint on the frontage road on the west side?  The Google Streetview car even zipped past on this road.  I assume they patrol this road and do spot checks?  From looking at other checkpoints on aerials, the "bypasses" are generally pretty distant, unpaved roads, etc. 

kphoger

Quote from: SectorZ on May 13, 2020, 09:35:12 AM

That's completely normal.  The one north of Del Rio on US-277/377, for example, is a good 28 miles north of the border.  The one on I-35 north of Laredo (which I posted) is actually closer to the border than the one on US-83.

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on May 13, 2020, 10:08:06 AM
What is stopping people from bypassing this checkpoint on the frontage road on the west side?  The Google Streetview car even zipped past on this road.  I assume they patrol this road and do spot checks?

You know, of all the times I've driven through that checkpoint, it's never occurred to me to ask that question.  Yes, they patrol the roads, but that's still a great question.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2020, 01:45:58 PM
That's completely normal.  The one north of Del Rio on US-277/377, for example, is a good 28 miles north of the border.  The one on I-35 north of Laredo (which I posted) is actually closer to the border than the one on US-83.
US-281 and US-77 both have them as well.

US-77's is 86 miles north of the border, and US-281's is 70 miles north of the border.

US-59 also has one leaving east of Laredo about 50 miles in.

zzcarp

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 13, 2020, 02:00:33 PM

US-77's is 86 miles north of the border, and US-281's is 70 miles north of the border.

This map has a list of all of them. I've been through the I-5 one north of San Diego on a college band trip, and I've driven through the US 77 one north of Brownsville.

It's been determined that border control can run checkpoints within 100 miles of the border. IMHO, this is a blatant 4th amendment violation and should be illegal, and that's not what the government thinks. /end political rant
So many miles and so many roads

zzcarp

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 12, 2020, 12:45:56 AM
I-80 WB is briefly one lane on the approach to leave for the Ohio Turnpike (it becomes 2 lanes on the ramp)

I-76 is also one lane in each direction when it TOTSOs to/from the Ohio Turnpike at this interchange.

I-76 is one lane westbound at the west split with I-77 in Akron and one lane eastbound at its split with I-277.

Unrelated, but I-80 EB at the terminus of the western I-76 drops to one lane at the exit to WB ("South" per Nebraska) I-76. It's two lanes heading westbound.

So many miles and so many roads

kphoger

Quote from: zzcarp on May 13, 2020, 04:29:36 PM

This map has a list of all of them. I've been through the I-5 one north of San Diego on a college band trip, and I've driven through the US 77 one north of Brownsville.

It's been determined that border control can run checkpoints within 100 miles of the border. IMHO, this is a blatant 4th amendment violation and should be illegal, and that's not what the government thinks. /end political rant

That's not a very accurate map.

The one on I-35 north of Laredo hasn't been an inspection station for more than a decade.  That location hasn't made sense ever since the Camino Colombia Toll Road was built.  Also, the one on US-83 north of Laredo isn't shown at all, likely for the same reason.

The one north of Del Rio isn't shown at all.

The one near Comstock isn't shown at all.

And that's just the few whose locations I'm actually familiar with.
Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

The map does not list the ones on US-59 or US-77, and the ones on I-35 and US-281 are in the wrong location.

I don't believe the facility on I-5 is in usage anymore. On Street View, it does not appear to ever be used, and when I drove through there a few years ago, I never had to stop. It's shown as a weigh station on Street View for tractor trailers.

Strider

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 12, 2020, 07:05:57 PM
I-84 eastbound exits onto itself at I-86 in Idaho, and the exit ramp is only one lane. They are currently rebuilding the interchange, but I don't think they're adding lanes. Can't tell, there's almost no info on ITD's website :banghead:

Yeah, they are adding lanes. I remembered I looked at that one a few weeks ago. Here is the website:

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/ITD-planning-I-84I-86-interchange-modernization-444085603.html

Bickendan

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2020, 04:51:44 PM

That's not a very accurate map.

The one on I-35 north of Laredo hasn't been an inspection station for more than a decade.  That location hasn't made sense ever since the Camino Colombia Toll Road was built.  Also, the one on US-83 north of Laredo isn't shown at all, likely for the same reason.

The one north of Del Rio isn't shown at all.

The one near Comstock isn't shown at all.

And that's just the few whose locations I'm actually familiar with.
There was one on I-10 somewhere between Las Cruces and Lordsburg back in '08.

kphoger

I think the map is probably just really, really out of date.
Male pronouns, please.

doorknob60

Quote from: Strider on May 13, 2020, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: doorknob60 on May 12, 2020, 07:05:57 PM

Yeah, they are adding lanes. I remembered I looked at that one a few weeks ago. Here is the website:

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/ITD-planning-I-84I-86-interchange-modernization-444085603.html

That's good. It's crazy how bad and unorganized ITD's website can be sometimes. Figures a local news website would have more info about it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.