News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Quote from: bluecountry on August 28, 2021, 02:02:03 AM
The project now will do what exactly?
-Will it add a lane on I-295 SB so it retains 3 lanes from the 141 exit to the 95 merge (will that be the shoulder)?
-Where will the merge occur, just how far after 141 underpass?

All the current project is doing for I-295 is moving the existing two lane merge to a point beyond DE 141, it's not adding any new lanes for I-295. The purpose for this slide is to space the I-495 and I-295 merges farther apart on the I-95 mainline. The shoulder lane DelDOT is thinking about adding is on the right side, it'd theoretically be born from the C/D ramp from DE 141.
👉😎👉

froggie

-Why would the 13/40 flyover to cloverleaf help traffic?  Normally flyovers are better.

It was more like a half-flyunder.  And the reason it was removed is because it entered SB 295 on the left and then traffic had to weave over to avoid going back south on 95.  The new cloverleaf loop is much better operationally, as that traffic no longer has to weave across the SB 295-to-SB 95 traffic stream.

jeffandnicole

-Why would the 13/40 flyover to cloverleaf help traffic?  Normally flyovers are better.

In this location it's a low-volume movement, and didn't need to join 295 South and continue as a lane.  Normally, flyovers are preferred, but it wasn't needed here.  As mentioned, operationally, it works better now.

1) OK ok so let me get this straight...right now I-295 SB from the DE Bridge toll plaza is 4 lanes to the 95 NB exit

Not really.  I-295 South is 4 lanes from the toll plaza to the 13/40 split, then it's 3 lanes wide.  The "4th lane" starts as an onramp from 13 South to 295 South, but is really just an auxiliary lane for exits to 495 North then 95 North.

3 lanes to the 141 exit
2 lanes from the 141 exit to the 95 merge just before the 141 overpass

Yes & Yes.

The project now will do what exactly?
-Will it add a lane on I-295 SB so it retains 3 lanes from the 141 exit to the 95 merge (will that be the shoulder)?

It won't add a lane immediately, but sets everything up to add a lane in the future.  To be honest, I'm not sure why they won't add the lane now.  They're already doing the work, and there's nothing to indicate they'll widen 95 south of here in the future, so there doesn't seem to be any purpose in not doing it right now.

-Where will the merge occur, just how far after 141 underpass?

Immediately after 141.

sprjus4

^ In regards to the US-13 North flyover, it's not like it made anything "less". The flyover was a 25 mph tight ramp that dumped you on the left lane of I-295 South. The new loop is a 25 mph tight ramp that dumps you on the right lane of I-295 South.

MASTERNC

I guess DelDOT caught the Exit 0 mistake on I-495 (for the I-295 exit) because the exit number was gone when I drove through today.

Alex

Quote from: MASTERNC on August 29, 2021, 11:33:59 AM
I guess DelDOT caught the Exit 0 mistake on I-495 (for the I-295 exit) because the exit number was gone when I drove through today.

The lone sign for Left Exit 0 was still posted as of August 24. Photo from 12-23-18:

The remaining overheads omit an exit number with yellow/black Left tabs

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Alex on August 30, 2021, 08:19:13 AM

The lone sign for Left Exit 0 was still posted as of August 24. Photo from 12-23-18:

I thought I didn't see it on that sign on Saturday.  Either way, it definitely wasn't on subsequent signs.

Alex4897

DelDOT's latest FY23 - FY28 CTP is available to poke through, offering a glimpse at upcoming projects over the next 8 or so years. Notable projects include 3 more interchanges along US 113 in Sussex County, a 2 mile extension of Mulberry Knoll Road northward to US 9 in Lewes, and a variety of smaller improvements projects throughout the state.

Poking through the spend plan reveals a bit of a deeper glimpse into the possible projects in the pipeline:

• The SR 1 / US 13 Tybouts Corner interchange now has its own rebuild project earmarked for $70m.
  • The Tyler McConnell Bridge rebuild on SR 141 now specifically notes the project as extending to Alapocas Drive, indicating some possible significant reworking to SR 141's alignment and the elimination of the turn SR 141 traffic has to make to stay on the route.
  • The US 40 / SR 7 intersection is still earmarked for $50m in construction costs, making me wonder if they're considering grade separation at the location.
  • The US 113 North / South Improvements project is still earmarked for $261m. Not sure if this means DelDOT's keeping the idea of a significant freeway bypass alive around some of the larger towns along US 113, or if they're just keeping the money set aside for on-alignment improvements.
👉😎👉

froggie

^ Regarding US 113, I was under the impression that the result of recent (i.e. over the past ~15 years) studies is that improvements would be focused along the existing US 113 alignment and that bypasses (save for what one could argue is a northern Millsboro bypass for DE 24) are no longer on the table.

bluecountry

WTF happened tonight?
Was driving at 7 PM SB on 295 approaching the ramp to 95....when all the sudden cops blockaded the exit.
I was maybe 12 rows back, was able to luckily get on 95 N and detour at MD street to 95 south.
When I got on 95 south, at the 295 merge no cars were coming.
Construction?
Freak accident?

Alex4897

Quote from: bluecountry on September 07, 2021, 12:22:46 AM
WTF happened tonight?
Was driving at 7 PM SB on 295 approaching the ramp to 95....when all the sudden cops blockaded the exit.
I was maybe 12 rows back, was able to luckily get on 95 N and detour at MD street to 95 south.
Construction?
Freak accident?

Presidential motorcade if I had to guess. I believe Biden was home in Delaware this past weekend, they usually shut down SR 141 and all cross streets whenever he goes back and forth to DC.
👉😎👉

Alex

WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

May have been related to the repaving project along I-95 southbound from SR 141 to SR 1.

https://twitter.com/DelDOTTraffic/status/1435098139669766147?s=19

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 07, 2021, 10:01:34 AM
WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

Presidential motorcade if I had to guess. I believe Biden was home in Delaware this past weekend, they usually shut down SR 141 and all cross streets whenever he goes back and forth to DC.

I thought of that too...but then 95 South would've been stopped as well.

74/171FAN

(For DE 1)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Nighttime Closure of Route 1 for Overhead Sign Installation

There must be overhead replacement going on in this area at the moment.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex4897

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 07, 2021, 10:28:07 AM
WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

I thought of that too...but then 95 South would've been stopped as well.

You'd think, but I've managed to accidentally slip through a motorcade roadblock once before back in high school.
Back around 2014 I was commuting down SR 1 to Tybouts Corner, getting on from I-95 northbound. One day, the ramp to SR 1 southbound was blocked by a police cruiser, so I went north instead, got off on Churchmans Road, then used the still-open ramp from there to get on SR 1 south. A couple minutes later I'm driving past the SR 273 and US 40 exits wondering why every onramp I'm driving past looks blocked, and why I'm literally the only person on SR 1 during the tail end of the morning rush. Once I get beyond US 40, I can see an entire motorcade cresting the hill about a quarter mile behind me, bearing down on me. I was exiting at SR 71 for Red Lion anyway so I never ended up directly encountering the motorcade. My running assumption is that it was then-VP Biden heading for Dover Air Force Base.
👉😎👉

Alex

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 07, 2021, 11:13:51 AM
(For DE 1)  TRAFFIC ALERT - New Castle County - Nighttime Closure of Route 1 for Overhead Sign Installation

There must be overhead replacement going on in this area at the moment.

There were a couple of sets on monotube supports already in place between U.S. 40 and SR 71 two weeks ago. Should be new overhead signs for the SR 71 exit southbound and at least one for U.S. 40 on northbound.

bluecountry

WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

No.  It was not a presidential motorcade.  There were no motorcycles and the cops were DE state troopers.
WTF was this, I mean WHO plans this on Labor Day?

Alex4897

Quote from: bluecountry on September 07, 2021, 11:52:36 PM
WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

No.  It was not a presidential motorcade.  There were no motorcycles and the cops were DE state troopers.

State police is heavily involved in managing the passage of these motorcades, and Biden's notorious for having his occasional trips to and from the New Castle Airport snarl traffic at inopportune times like rush hour. It's certainly possible it wasn't the motorcade you got stopped by, but they absolutely passed through the Christiana marsh interchange at some point that evening using SR 141, and you wouldn't have seen the motorcade itself from the interstate regardless.
👉😎👉

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bluecountry on September 07, 2021, 11:52:36 PM
WTF happened tonight?
Construction?
Freak accident?

Local troopers - State, County, and even municipal, are all involved in presidential motorcades.  They also use DelDOT trucks to help block roadways too.

Delaware does tend to screw over the out-of-town motorists travelling thru by scheduling construction on holiday weekends frequently.  I recall reading many years ago that DelDOT "apologized" for shutting down 2 of (then) 4 lanes on 95 during Columbus Day weekend to do roadwork, but that wasn't an anomaly...they do holiday road work frequently.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 08, 2021, 06:41:02 AM
Delaware does tend to screw over the out-of-town motorists travelling thru by scheduling construction on holiday weekends frequently.  I recall reading many years ago that DelDOT "apologized" for shutting down 2 of (then) 4 lanes on 95 during Columbus Day weekend to do roadwork, but that wasn't an anomaly...they do holiday road work frequently.

One of the worst traffic jams I have ever experienced was on I-95 (Connecticut Turnpike) northbound in Fairfield County.  ConnDOT had decided to shut down two of three lanes for bridge work on a late spring Friday - it was after 11 PM but traffic was extremely heavy (there had been a Yankees night game in the Bronx). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on September 06, 2021, 12:06:54 PM
DelDOT's latest FY23 - FY28 CTP is available to poke through, offering a glimpse at upcoming projects over the next 8 or so years. Notable projects include 3 more interchanges along US 113 in Sussex County, a 2 mile extension of Mulberry Knoll Road northward to US 9 in Lewes, and a variety of smaller improvements projects throughout the state.

Poking through the spend plan reveals a bit of a deeper glimpse into the possible projects in the pipeline:

• The SR 1 / US 13 Tybouts Corner interchange now has its own rebuild project earmarked for $70m.
  • The Tyler McConnell Bridge rebuild on SR 141 now specifically notes the project as extending to Alapocas Drive, indicating some possible significant reworking to SR 141's alignment and the elimination of the turn SR 141 traffic has to make to stay on the route.
  • The US 40 / SR 7 intersection is still earmarked for $50m in construction costs, making me wonder if they're considering grade separation at the location.
  • The US 113 North / South Improvements project is still earmarked for $261m. Not sure if this means DelDOT's keeping the idea of a significant freeway bypass alive around some of the larger towns along US 113, or if they're just keeping the money set aside for on-alignment improvements.

Here's an article devoted to the eastern Sussex improvements.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/deldot-adds-nine-sussex-projects-capital-program/225662
The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

I saw that too today. I thought the signs further south had exit tabs, but maybe my memory failed me.

I did notice new signs on NB I-95 at the 495 split that say only 2 axle vehicles and buses are to proceed through the construction zone. I guess there have been too many wrecks involving tractor trailers. I didn't see any signs in reverse coming from PA.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on September 11, 2021, 11:45:07 PM

I saw that too today. I thought the signs further south had exit tabs, but maybe my memory failed me.

I did notice new signs on NB I-95 at the 495 split that say only 2 axle vehicles and buses are to proceed through the construction zone. I guess there have been too many wrecks involving tractor trailers. I didn't see any signs in reverse coming from PA.

I think that's to encourage trucks to use 495. They're not prohibited from using 95 though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.